PDA

View Full Version : dodgers or flashers? grubs to be reused?

dinos marine
01-24-2009, 12:07 AM
question
are dodgers more productive than flashers? i personally have not had any luck fishing flashers, but have done pretty good on dodgers.

color preferences? i like the gold/green dodgers, but sometimes the odd ball pinks one work.

anyone use the new style plastic dodgers? not sure about them, a little old fashioned, i prefer the luhr jensen old standbys

when using power grubs, do you recycle them? put em back in the pouch, or do you guys just chuck them? do the scents on the power grubs wear off?

dino

twoelk48
01-24-2009, 04:23 AM
I have caught way more trout using Ford fenders (flasher) and Half Fast Flashers than anything else but then again thats what I use to fish the most. Now days I use flashers as a last resort due to how much they pull.
Another interesting thing is reintroducing old ways of fishing that tend to be overlooked like using wire line and leaad core line. Just something I have been courious about lately. Kent

stonesfan
01-24-2009, 04:49 AM
My # 1 Trout producer use to be a small set of Luhr Jensen Flashers,
followed by a small snubber, followed by an 18-24 inch Leader, then
a # 2 Needlefish in various colors......................................

Stones [smiley=rollingstones.gif]Fan

rc mckokanee
01-24-2009, 06:00 AM
i still have the ford fender and dave davis type flashers, but i just keep them because they are way old. i figure they will be collector items some time, maybe not till i'm gone but maybe for family members to keep. heck i know some of them have to be over 40 years old. at one time they were the only things i used, but i prefer a dodger over them now because of the pull and because i feel the action is better on the lure from the dodger

2sanchezs
01-24-2009, 07:25 AM
I use Sep's Ultra-lite Flashers with 3' leader with a threaded mini crawler. These flashers have 1/2 the pull than the others have. No big plastic rudder on it. It has a rudder, just a very small chrome rudder. I've used just about every other flasher,ford fender type out there and this sep UL is my fav. Most of my exp. with flashers are if yours flashers are pulling to hard, then you are probably trolling to fast. Just my 2cents. I think I would save the grubs if there not all tore up, It's like my minicrawler if a fish hits that worm. The worm is more productive because of the scents the first fish put on it. I think the same thing about the grubs.Have fun out there.

trollin4life 8-)

SuperDave
01-24-2009, 07:29 AM
I haven't had success with inline flashers but last year I had some great success with ball flashers.

I chuck my used grubs.

Mr_Ed
01-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Flashers come in COLORADO, INDIAN and WILLOW LEAF shapes ,
with each having a different amout of drag and use per troll speeds.

Size will also reduce or increase the amout of drag or resistance with
the small for clear water use and large for stained water or deeper presentations.

True dodgers are much easier to get back in, but some days are a blade day.

SneakAttack
01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I use whatever is working. Flashers, dodgers or none at all. I've found in some lakes flashers work best and others, dodgers or none at all. It a matter of finding the pattern that works best for the lake/day.

Now, I do have to say I saw the most unusual setup not too long ago that scared the bejesus out of me. I saw a fellow pulling a LARGE (like +12") dodger and 18" behind that was a 36" Colorado flasher and behind that was about 28" to a threaded worm. He told me that's what he was taught and it works well for him... I guess that's what matters ;)

I was raised on Ford Fenders, and have to say that they work quite well. As far as drag is concerned, they do take away from the fight of the fish and take some learning on how to fight a fish with that much hardware on the line. But regardless, when there's a big-un on, you still know it! :D

I re-use plastics if they're not in bad shape. But please, do not toss them into the water like I've seen so many folks doing....

Just remember, you never have enough gear and it's best to try everything ;D

Best,
SA

johnbfishin
01-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Well said Ed. I have and use all the above with what I would have to say is equal results. Water clarity and where the fish are in the water column impact what I use, and lets not forget that the vibrations put out by the various attractors can make a difference as well.
Over all I prefer using a dodger or just a spinner blade with a crawler when I want some flash, but I'm not above using some large Ford Fenders if that's what it takes.

Hlawatyr
01-24-2009, 10:02 AM
dkonrai,
I have *used the plastic dodgers/flashers and they work great only bad thing is they do not like the sun, fade/warp so keep them covered when not in use,good luck [smiley=angling.gif]

Chadzilla
01-24-2009, 10:03 AM
My # 1 Trout producer use to be a small set of Luhr Jensen Flashers,
followed by a small snubber, followed by an 18-24 inch Leader, then
a # 2 Needlefish in various colors......................................
So, what's the #1 producer for you now???
[smiley=grin.gif]

Chadzilla
01-24-2009, 10:07 AM
I prefer a dodger hands down, but when the bite is tough we'll throw out a set of small flashers to see if they'll draw some hits. I pretty much wouldn't put on the Ford Fenders unless I was getting skunked and needed fish for dinner... all that drag makes reeling in a small fish feel like you have a 5 pounder on (not in a good way).

I generally toss grubs after they've been used, but I imagine they'd be fine to "recycle" for next time.

Phishinfool2
01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
As several have stated what works changes from lake to lake and sometimes from day to day.
Probably my favorite setup would be the larger size flashers with a gold blade near the back and a nice 1/2 of worm about 18 to 24" back, Silver is my lake of choice.
Firetiger needlefish naked has produced very well for me all also.
As for reusing a worm or a grub, once it is chewed unless the fish are hittin' anything I will chuck it. There have been times on Silver where if the worm isn't perfect the fish won't hit it, there are times where Seon and I have thrown old ratty beat up worms and could have just thrown a hook and woulda caught em, all depends.

Jimbo

dinos marine
01-24-2009, 01:07 PM
so if i am hearing this correct, i will need to invest some time in using flashers. what if i dont use the rudders? will this cause massive line twist?
dino

tbruski
01-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Here is a couple of youtube videos showing the use of Seps
dodgers. My 82 year old fishing buddy drives the boat, works the camera, fishes his own pole and eventually we run into shore when landing the fish. ;D ;D ;D The second video is a double you will see the set up with the Dodger/Crawler combo. These are not exactly professional videos, but they are fairly entertaining.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8h_QV4N0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pqCma593e0

hooks
01-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Here is a couple of youtube videos showing the use of Seps
dodgers. My 82 year old fishing buddy drives the boat, works the camera, fishes his own pole and eventually we run into shore when landing the fish. ;D ;D ;D The second video is a double you will see the set up with the Dodger/Crawler combo. These are not exactly professional videos, but they are fairly entertaining.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8h_QV4N0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pqCma593e0

I like your style and techniques.

I've used both flashers and dodgers with approx. equal success.

My favorite flashers on Tahoe were the hammered silver and gold 50/50 ford fender with live minnows or a gold dave davis with a night crawler. Both for rainbows and an occasional brown.

For macks down deep I would use a big gold jensen dodger with live minnow, off a downrigger.

:) :)

cammy
01-24-2009, 05:29 PM
If I am going to use hardware it is a dodger. I have the teardrop meps and the longer (3 or 4 inches long by 1.5 inches wide) silver with green reflective "tape" on one side. Main line to a swivel and 20+ inches to a #4 bait holder with a naked night crawler. I only use the hardware for Kokenee and sometimes Eagle Lake Trout.
If your grub catches fish don't chuck it. Kinda like those times when two guys are using the same lure and only one guy is catching fish. If its working don't mess with it.

I use lead-core every time I troll for trout and in every lake I fish.

Mickey_Thomas
01-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Sometimes I don't use Dodgers at all, sometimes I use flashers if the bite is tough, I do reuse grubs, and reuse and reuse them till they don't stay on the hook ;) ;D But that's just me, if I have a lucky grub on I don't want to put a new one on :D The front half of "fishing with Gary's" rigs make great small Dodgers, they kick good and there's no pull to them when you hook up.

Trout Tracker
01-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I prefer dodgers to start out and if it isn't catching fish i will run a 2nd pole with a set of flashers.I make most of my flashers and have blades with different color stickers on them.Red seems to be a good color at Pardee.
My first trip to Silver last year i tried every dodgers i had with nothing.But when i put flashers on i started to catch fish.I will use a grub untill i can't use it anymore.
TT

steveo79
01-24-2009, 06:37 PM
So, what's the #1 producer for you now???

Heck, Chadzilla, that would be me! I tell Stonesfan what is working, he says "Good, you use that, I want to try my ....." ;)

Nah, just kidding Stoney, (kind of). He catches some nice trout on the grub with action disk, and that dang blue Cripplure.

stonesfan
01-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Steveo, you're not suppose to give away my secrets, now everyone
is going to be fishing with a blue and silver Cripplelure................ ;)
Looks like I'll have to change over to the Brass/Orange Cripplelure,
but don't go and tell anyone, let's keep it a secret.................... ;D

STRIPER_STEVE
01-25-2009, 08:35 AM
I am not a dodger flasher guy. As far as the grubs go I have had days where all the fish hit one rod and as as soon as I change the grub the action stops. (no change in color or anything just the grub). I do recycle for the next trip if the grub isnt tore up too bad. If I can hook it up and it doesnt fall down it is going to work!

Mr_Ed
01-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Anything that spins can cause line twist.

Quality swivels, banana weights, rudders or the other "anti-twist"
items will help prevent this.

I some times let my line out behind the boat as I head back to the dock.........(no lure) to get any twist out and reeel it back on when near or think it has had enough time on the water.

steveo79
01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I some times let my line out behind the boat as I head back to the dock.........(no lure) *to get any twist out and reeel it back on when near or think it has had enough time on the water.

* Hey Mr Ed! *Do you still have Just the swivel on when you do that? *

dinos marine
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
so let me get this straight, i can run almost anything behind a set of dodgers or flashers? i thought the best was to use a crawler, but from the posts, i should try a needlefish or some lure behind? anyone try a rapala behind the flasher/dodger combo?
does leader lenth really affect the action? i usually use a really short leader behind the dodger for more action. usually about 12-18" leader.
so whats your thoughts?

ODDIE
01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
dkonari; Use a short leader if you are trolling a fly or power bait(8 to 15"), Use 30 to 36" leader for a worm, and use 36" to 60" leaders for lures. These are general lengths, they can change do to water clarity, temperature and othe factors. Play around with the length of yout leader until you find what the fish want and then adjust other lines to what is working. I prefer using dodgers and will also use light weight flashers at times when trolling for trout and salmon.

ODDIE

ReelJerks
01-25-2009, 06:20 PM
dkonrai,
I have *used the plastic dodgers/flashers and they work great only bad thing is they do not like the sun, fade/warp so keep them covered when not in use,good luck [smiley=angling.gif]

Not sure about that. I have only 2 plastic flashers, both are super glow plastic. I need to keep them in the sun.

Edd

steveo79
01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
does leader lenth really affect the action? i usually use a really short leader behind the dodger for more action. usually about 12-18" leader.
so whats your thoughts?

The less the action of the lure, the shorter the setback. I use either Crawlers, or needlefish, behind dodgers. Never used a rapala behind one.
To date, with my admittedly limited trolling expereince, I have yet to catch fish on either a Rapala, or an Apex. Allthough, I have plenty of each. Maybe this year, that will change. If so, my money is on opening day at Pardee. Pink Apex, will it be the one? ;)

auburnfisher
01-26-2009, 08:01 AM
hey those youtube videos were awesome. i was surprised by how fast you were trolling! maybe that's why i don't do so well as I troll pretty slowly (slow walking speed). when you troll that fast, what keeps your dodgers from skipping on the surface? didn't see a weight above the dodger. seems like those seps dodgers would be twisting your line something fierce, but I guess not. any comments would be great as I'm trying to improve my trolling success (see my report re: englebright). thanks!

tbruski
01-26-2009, 08:26 AM
I think the combination of the wind and water movement made it look faster than we were actually going. We usually troll the dodgers pretty slow, but you need to experiment. As we reach that certain spot next to the tree you see in the video we make the turn which also slows us down and we were getting a hit almost everytime. If we were in a different area we would be make wide S turns which will vary the depths. We don't use any weight the dodgers #1 size Seps run about 5 ft. deep. If you have any other questions you can always pm me, I would be glad to help.
Bruski

steveo79
01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Was that an electric motor, on that boat in the video?

tbruski
01-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes. At Los Vaqueros you can only use their boats, no other boats, toons or tubes are allowed. They have really nice boats with large electric motors that troll great. . They keep them in excellent shape and they are good size as you can see in the video. Not your typical 12 ft. boat with the little minn-kota motor. It can get really windy out there and a smaller wouldn't make it.
Bruski

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
01-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I use flashers and dodges and i run things naked. this past year a set of micro sepd flashers with wilow leaf blades red beads followed by a red wedding ring caught me a toon of fish from trout, crapie, blue gill, walleye, white bass, large and small mouths, whipers, and a few carp so year flashers with a spinner tipped with a worm or just a worm catch fish, now dodgers yeah they catch a bunch of fish too i like dodgres for anything that needs action squids, spoons, even spiners, tubes etc, also grubs i put a bent in the hook and they work great hell even with out the bend. The thing as stated here many tmes is that one day the fish might bite on a flasher the next day a dodger and then naked the next the ability to match your presentation to the bite is key.