PDA

View Full Version : Schooling Browns Question

Darin
01-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Today I was at the river and watched something I have never seen before. There were 46 Browns that I could count swimming in a school and circling about a 100 yard radius about two feet from the top of the water. They did this the whole 3 hours I watched them and were still in this same pattern when I left. I have been fishing for these guys for years and have never seen them do this in the middle of the day with such a large number of fish on a river. Some looked pretty beat up and they didnít spook when I approached them witch was very unusual for these wild browns. So I guess the spawn is over? I tried to take pics but the glare killed me today. I did get a couple shots that if you look hard you can see them. I need a polarized lens for my camera. Anyone else ever see these guys do this?
On the rise
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2489/11713995nm0.jpg

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/7999/45255242kt2.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6015/17046147ty5.jpg

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4818/64900424ej8.jpg
They were feeding on these for about an hour.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2835/82839083oo4.jpg

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/2003/75965323jt3.jpg

fishwish
01-21-2009, 07:26 PM
I have a question for you FFG....Was this another no fishing re con mission or did you cast a dry to them? Forty some odd browns surface feeding on mayflies is what people give their left nut for. Strange....yes, but talk about a sight fishing opportunity

dinos marine
01-21-2009, 07:48 PM
ffg,
i agree, so how many did you cr????

Captain Compassion
01-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Amazing Pictures. :o I'm not sure I could fish for them. :-/ Warching the show would have been well worth it.

CC

Darin
01-21-2009, 08:07 PM
I have a question for you FFG....Was this another no fishing re con mission or did you cast a dry to them? Forty some odd browns surface feeding on mayflies is what people give their left nut for. Strange....yes, but talk about a sight fishing opportunity *

It was the best sight fishing I have ever done in my life. Hooked 8 landed 5. I didn't want to brag ;) I had a perfect mayfly match that I used. The three that broke me off were 20-25" and thats being modest. The guys I did get to the net were small 10-14" so i didnt bother with the pics of them. It was an unbelievable day for me and I don't think I will be able to top it. I'm still curious as to why they schooled up like that for such a long period of time. I've seen Bows do this just never Browns. ::) Ahh who cares Lmao ;D

Darin
01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Amazing Pictures. :o I'm not sure I could fish for them. :-/ Warching the show would have been well worth it.

CC

The first hour I just watched them and took pictures. Then I couldn't resist. You would of slayed them with your go to lure. That just wouldn't have been fair for them though ;) So I kept the Km locked up for a slow day.

Trout_Terminator
01-21-2009, 08:20 PM
I have seen them school before, but not in that amount before. Thats awesome man!

2sanchezs
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I love the Middle fork.
Great pic's, have fun out there.

trollin4life 8-)

hellbent
01-22-2009, 04:51 AM
I've seen that alot at Almanor and always wondered what they were doing

johnbfishin
01-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Darin this is not in anyway pointed at you so please don't take that way.
I was really sorry to see the American river drainage opened up to year round fishing. Even though there are restrictions in place we know there is going to be some mortality and some who disregard the rules, use bait and/or take fish anyway. It also doesn't allow those fish 6 months of protection a year to just do their thing.

I used to hike into one of those canyons every year on opening day. The thrill and the anticipation of hitting a stretch of river that hasn't seen a line is 6 months was just that, quite a thrill. While that is still possible with the rule change it is much less likely, IMHO that's a bummer.

drstressor
01-22-2009, 07:46 AM
They might still be spawning. Redd digging us usually a low light thing. They stay in spawning aggregations for a good while during the spawn since each female can dig multiple redds. They all seem to get started once a single female starts to shed eggs.

I guess a good hatch can distract them from other activities.

Finfan
01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
You sure those were browns and not squaw fish?

GutHookd
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Man, that is a beautiful river you have there F. I'd like to swim in that spot. [smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

danlbee
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
A friend of ours has creek in his back yard. Ive watched them (at least 50) doing the circle. *Some of these fish are 5 and 6 lbs and are hard to catch. As soon as it rains hard enough the fish will go down stream and some of them jump their way back in the sping.

Darin
01-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Darin this is not in anyway pointed at you so please don't take that way.
I was really sorry to see the American river drainage opened up to year round fishing. Even though there are restrictions in place we know there is going to be some mortality and some who disregard the rules, use bait and/or take fish anyway. It also doesn't allow those fish 6 months of protection a year to just do their thing.

I used to hike into one of those canyons every year on opening day. The thrill and the anticipation of hitting a stretch of river that hasn't seen a line is 6 months was just that, quite a thrill. While that is still possible with the rule change it is much less likely, IMHO that's a bummer.

JB,
I would have to agree with you. It would not bother me one bit if they closed it like they use to. Half the fun for me is just being out there watching the river and nature at its best, and taking pictures. I think it helps keep me somewhat sane ;). The fishing is just a bonus. To be honest, watching those fish yesterday was more fun than catching them...call me crazy but it's not something you see everyday. I only fished for about 30 minutes and after the bigger guys broke me off I felt kind of bad seeing them circle back with tippet hanging out of there mouths due to me. I didn't fish anymore after the third one broke me off and I should of never even tried catching them with the gear I had. It was irresponsible on my part.
*My jaw dropped to the ground when I originally saw them. I took 250 pictures and the only two that somewhat came out were the ones I posted. I am buying a polarized filter for my camera, something I should of done a long time ago. I have been waiting years to get pictures like this and it looks like I will be waiting that long again. I went back today to check them out and they were gone. I was kind of relieved. After somebody here (not you) took a guess at where I might be and posted it. There is a reason I never say where I am fishing due to the abuse the river took from two lurkers a couple months ago. The day was Nov14th and I will never forget that day. The State park officers, Rangers and DFG all know me around these rivers and I have there cell #'s in case I need to get in touch with one of them without going through dispatch. Like one of them said "your our eyes and ears around here, your here more often than me, we should get you on payroll". One of them told me of two guys that came down to the river and left with a stringer full of spawning browns and that they had heard about this river from the internet. I hope it wasnít me but I now never post the location of the wild trout rivers that I fish. Now the regulars here know they can PM me and I will fill them in. Itís a bummer having to do it like this but itís the only way.

FFG

johnbfishin
01-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Right on Darin, having the DFG and Rangers #'s on your phone is cool, they can probably use a few more guys like you in the field. 8-)
And as far as posting info, you already know I'm good on that account.
Keep up the good work & pics buddy, we like'em!

cgagex3
01-22-2009, 09:07 PM
FG,
Thanks for the post, and glad to see they got away. I know what you mean about sometimes being afraid to post. I can remember CC and I going to Red and posting great brookie results with like 4 of us fishing the lake and a week later there were like 40 people there. Two weeks later and the fish were gone.
I will never shy away from giving info on a pm to a sniffer but I do worry on a open post sometimes. It is ok to me posting on a big lake with regular planter action but not a wild fish spot.
Now that you have a polarized filter we can look forward to better pics
on your travels.

CG

zbone
01-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey FFG- thanks for the post. I am sorry to hear that stuff like that happens when people are nice enough to share info. I was wondering if it ever did. Anyway, you're lucky you get to spend so much time on such a beautiful river.

z