PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 1-12...Sorry, No Pics Today

IdFishThat
01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, went back to the same spot at the end of the main trail near the point by Badger Cove just past the second group camp on the east side.
I took my buddy who, like me, didn't have a great '08 and we got to the spot a little before 8 AM, lines in a little after 8:00. *Started with one rod on the same setup that worked last time...Size 4 Gamakatsu bait holder with a combo of white Power Egg, half crawler inflated, another white power egg with the tip of the hook showing. It took a little longer today but by 8:50 we were getting bites and I got my first fish about 9:15, a true dink at Del Valle that was 12 inches, a little over 1/2 lbs that I tried my hardest to release but he just couldn't make it, he was bleeding and while he could swin a little, he would roll over quickly so I kept him. I'll eat him, most likely with eggs and corn tortillas for breakfast! He was pretty pink inside. *I got another one that was 1 lb 4 oz about a half hour later, couldn't get him off cleanly either, hook was through the gills, like the smaller fish last week he was very clean looking and had pretty full fins all the way around. I got my last one around 11:15 and he was just about 1 1/2 pounds and beautiful, the fullest fins I have seen at Del Valle and very bright colors, when I cleaned him, the meat was by far the darkest pink (red?) I have seen from a fish at Del Valle, Chabot, Loch Lomond or Los Vaqueros. I didn't fish the Kastmaster much and the bobber got no action other than one large fish hitting the bobber hard once rather than the worm below it. Next time I am going to fish the and my PMs much more. Today was kind of a lazy kick back day.
My buddy did even better...He had 4 fish that were all about 1.5 lbs by 11:30 and another a little after 1:00, nice to see my good buddy get his limit on his first day out in '09 and he, his wife and two little ones love eating the trout so they most likely cooking right now.
The bite at that spot died in the afternoon. We were aout around 2:00.

A beautiful day that was warm with calm winds and what I would consider a pretty good day fishing day especially after a full moon which I usually means poor fishing for me. Again, the bites were subtle, this week I used a bobber on a paper clip to make it easier to see but some of the bites didn't even lift the bobber, just moved the line or made the tip twitch. Lots and lots of bites that didn't pan out, either tried to set the hook and yanked the bait out or let them take the bait and ended up with chewed off worm.

Sorry about no pics, the action got busy for us all at once a little after 10 and my batteries died, by the time I got them replaced, I forgot to get pics of me so they are all of my buddy but the two 1 1/2 lbs fish I got today look pretty similar to the pic of the 1 1/2 pound fish I posted a week ago.

fishmaster
01-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Sounds like you found your Honey Hole @ Del Valle. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

IdFishThat
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I do love that spot...so far so good there.
Hopefully it won't be too long before I hit it up again.

Klamdog
01-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Kastamateur,
Thanks for another good report! *Sounds like you guys had a good day! *The opening to Badger Cove has been a good spot for me trolling, while working Swallow Bay! *When bait fishing you do get alot of bleeders, they often swallow the hook pretty deep. It's a drag when that happens and you have to keep a dink, however,*I think it happens to everyone! *Keep sharing reports! *

fat_fish
01-12-2009, 11:42 PM
the dinks r great for the smoker...can u say trout jerky? mmm i'll have some wassabbiyakki smoked trout 2morr night. brinin in the fridge right now. nice report. don't be surprised to see a few folks in your spot next time out. i learned to not give the exact spot away until you meet the people on the water. never been there, so maybe every one already knows the spot. welcome to the boards.

ff

Dro510
01-13-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm gona try in the mornin, we are leavin at 5. I can't sleep jus thinkin bout it. Its gonA be my first trout trip to del valle and on my boat.. 8-)