PDA

View Full Version : New Melones to get that skunk off.

cgagex3
01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Well after the opening day skunk at Topaz on the 1st (because Hunkfisher caught all the fish) I decided to get rid of the smell today.
Made the trip back to the Tuttletown ramp with my pontoon this time.
Dragging gulp on one rod and tossing lures, power worms and buggers with the other with very little sucess. Caught one on bait and two on lures (silver red taz & gold KM). Then I found the money target for the day.
Light lead head hook with orange / yellow 1" power micro tube jig. Just tossing it towards shore and slow draw bonce near the bottom. They couldn't leave it alone. I just tooled arond the cove in the same areas that Hunk and I hit from the bank last week.
Ran into fellow sniffer Steveo79 with a buddy of his on the bank, hung around fishing in front of them talking for a while until they both hit their limits. Steve nice meeing you, see you around the area again I am sure.
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7686/off010409008qh8.jpg
Pic of Steve when I was coming up on them.
The weather was great again, not real crowded but several families with the kids along. Nice place to take the little ones to hook them up on fishing.
In total I landed 26 all in the 12 to 18" range. Great thing about the jig is that they all get lip hooked and are easy to release. Except for these guys that got to go home to be food. One is 16" and the other 18" Real nice clean fish.
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6617/off010409016sy1.jpg
Brad if you make the trip here instead of Pedro make sure you bring along the tube jigs. Small enough to cast about 20-30 ft.
Until next time, now that I got my only skunk for the year out of the way (we hope). ;)

CG

steveo79
01-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Seems like I meet another Sniffer, everywhere I fish. My buddy Mike and I arrived about 7 or so. Each of us had a line in with bait, and the other with a lure. Black/gold panther martin was really working.
Fish and Game came by, and it was nice to see them out enforcing the reg's. We were walking back to the truck, and our license and 2 rod stamps were checked. Rangers were also there to check on use pass's.
Cory, it was cool watching how you fish that jig. I'll be giving that a try next trip out. See you out there!

hunkfisher
01-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Might make it out there tomorrow for a bit, looks like you got it down CG

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Captain Compassion
01-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Think of it this way CG. For the two days at Topaz and New Melones you caught 27. That's 13.5 fish per trip. ;) ;D Wonderful day. That place is hot.

CC

untalan1
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Good going Cory getting rid of the skunk off from the Topaz opener.I fished with Chick at pyramid on sat and she was able to hook me up on some cuts.I'm thinking on maybe going up to Melones this weekend and camping overnite to get my moneys worth.Was thimking on bringing up the tin can but if the fishing is that good from shore maybe I should leave it home.Brad good luck if you fish Melones before heading back to Humbolt , hope to see you all soon on the water.Efren

cgagex3
01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
CC - yeah thanks for the words of encouragement. [smiley=cheerleader.gif]
Efren,
Good luck if you go to Melones, let me know if you head out that way, PM me for the spots we hit it at. I would love to head out but don't know abut this weekend. Trying to head up to the afterbay at Thermalito Sunday morning.

CG

hunkfisher
01-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Probably going out there tomorrow morning bright and early ill hit pedro on friday with my buddy matt, kinda want to go to pedro tomorrow but melones is still doing well Cory did you fish inside that cove with the jig just bouncing it off the bottom???? Anyone going ill be in Humboldt gear and white shades!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

cgagex3
01-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Brad,
Yes I was in my toon and tossing it in close to the bank and slow tipping it bouncing out into the deeper water. If I tossed it out from shore I let it drop for a little while and bounced it in.
I only used the yellow /orange but I bet the green / white or straight white would have worked just as well.
I went from the point that we were at all the way back further into the cove back behind it. Just don't get to close to that tree in the water. I saw three fish rolling back there so I couldn't resist. Caught one on the first try but he ran straight into the tree. Ended up cutting my line to get untangled, on the bright side I did pick up two nice Kastmasters in the tree... ;D

Good Luck,

CG

hunkfisher
01-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks CG, went out yesterday early got on the water at 7 first fish at 705 on white power eggs, those were deadly yesterday, fished the second cove past the parking lot, things kinda died around 815 for me over there so i moved into that first cove had seen a lot of fish sipping on top, set up casted out and my bait could not hit the bottom before i had a fish on! This action went on for the rest of the day till i had to leave at 1pm, had the entire lake to myself down at tuttletown people started to show up just before i left and they too immediately go into fish, however i caught some bigger than normal fish on a fly in bubble combo, they nailed it, I have pics post em soon. Had a great day dunno if ill be back out there or at Pedro on Friday but i cannot complain about the fishing at Melones if you want to catch fish go there, especially with kids. My sister also got me a snoopy rod which caught three fish in succession yesterday *;D, used a new set up which in my opinion makes those regular federal fish fight harder, set up my spin reel on my fly rods, those things sure do bend! Had a great time ill post my pics soon!

Here they are!

Lonely day at the lake *8-)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/101_3094.jpg

My reliable snoopy pole

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/101_3093-1.jpg

The days catch

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/101_3098.jpg

Brad "Hunkfisher"

atavuss
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
sounds like you had a great time CG!! say, where do you get those tube jigs?

cgagex3
01-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Brad,
Glad that you got into them too. I knew you would if you went back. Like the spinner fly rod combo, gives you a lot of bounce.

Atavuss,
I got two packs of Berkely Powerbait 1" micro power tubes at Sports Chalet in Elk Grove after work last spring. They worked great up on the rivers off 88 and they killed at Melones. Now after Steveo79 couldn't find them I looked on the Berkely site and can't find any except those already on a hook unless you get them in like 3" or more.
I do hope they didn't stop making the 1" tubes. I meant to go by today after work but didn't have time. If they have any left when I go by I may just buy out the store.

The Pic.
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5175/p1070001sn5.jpg

CG

steveo79
01-07-2009, 06:10 PM
* *They used to be Powertubes, now called Atomic tubes, but they don't make that color any more. *I sent them an email. >:(

* *Oh well. *Went out this evening, and put a pink RGT under a bobber. *they couldn't leave it alone. *I had been pitching a Panther Martin for about an hour, with only one strike. *Changed out, and C&R'd 3 in about 20 minutes. *I took my 8ft Zander rod, kind of on the same lines as Brads idea with the fly rod. *Fun.

PapaGreg
01-08-2009, 08:57 AM
:)Hunk, nice limit, don't you just love being out early when no one else is around, about the only thing you hear are the fish jumping and the rest of the wildlife stirring?

I fished that cove last week, just to get away from the crowd and man, I caught eight fish on ten casts with a gold Thomas buoyant, I actually got tired of casting, the fish were hitting like crazy!

Funny thing how fish change their habits, I fished the same place Tuesday morning and they wouldn't even follow lures, had only one quick hit and it spit the kastmaster before I could set the hook.

But man, did they go after powerbait and crawlers under a bobber.

steveo-enlighten me, what is a gdt?

PapaGreg
01-08-2009, 08:59 AM
:)Stevo, correction, an RGT?

steveo79
01-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Yes, that was the only brightly colored mini tube jig I had. I have the usual colors of crappie jig, the trout seemed to want power bait colors. CGageX3 used a different color combo, but this was the only color I had in that smaller 1.5" size.
I don't live in an area that gives me a lot to choose from in tube jigs, I ordered mine here.
http://store.kokaneemart.com/prostores/servlet/Categories?category=Do-It-Yourself%3AHoochie+Tube+Packs
Steve

hunkfisher
01-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah it was awesome me and my buddy matt well be out around 930 or 10 at TT until about 1 then try and hit DP at Blue Oaks for a bit I went down to fresno so he's returniog the favor coming up my way.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

cgagex3
01-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Good luck Brad, wish I could go instead of working. By the way love the Snoopy pole. Your sister would get along great with mine, I can tell by the gift.

CG