PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Planting at Don Pedro

twoelk48
01-02-2009, 05:27 AM
I heard from a friend yesterday that while up at Don Pedro this past week they witnessed Fish and Game trucks planting off Blue Oaks and releasing nice size rainbows, browns and brookies. Bankers have been doing well as I witnmessed yesterday and a couple of days a go one bass boat fishinbg inside the bouy line where the house boats are on the right side of the lake from Blue Oak Launch fishing between the house boats and the bouy line and tossing toward teh eastern bank caught 85 trout keeping 15 that went 2 pounds or better tossing 2 inch rainbow Kastmasters. They reported that the fish were all over the place breaking water and the bite was on.
I gave this area a shot yesterday for nada but did see a few nice fish break water and saw some nice fish caught off the bank by bankies. I developed a problem with my trolling motor and decided to call it a day so I could remedy it at home.
One thing I would like to see is more enforcement of no fishing off the boat docks and or ramps to the point of nno fishing zones within x number of feet, just my 2 cents Kent

Jonezin2fish
01-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Haven't been to Pedro in a while. Any signs of Kings yet?

steveo79
01-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Sorry for the mechanical woe's, hope you get all the kinks worked out soon. Nice to hear F&G is getting some fish in the local lakes.

tortuga
01-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Kent
Hope you get the motor right....maybe those fish need to be worked a little more....maybe a trip to Pedro soon? *We'll see you out there.
Tortuga

twoelk48
01-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Nope no signs of any kings yet and Im not seeing a whole lot of fish or bait balls on all the water I have covered in the last week, Kent

fshnjas
01-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Bankies have been nocking them dead for that last 3 weeks..
Kast Masters is what every one is throwing...

As far as the fishing from docks and ramps..
I think that F&G need to start using pontoon boats more often and put those plants far away from anyone....
Why they dont do that ill never no...
I realy dont blaime people for catching fish from anywhere in any water.
You cant tell me if there bighting like crazy that your not going to throw you lure in?

jas

froggie
01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Here's my thoughts on more enforcement of regs about fishing so close to the boat docks. Yesterday morning while we were launching the boat at Melones. I lower the motor & start it so it's warming up by the time Tortuga parks the truck & gets back to the dock. Then he gets in & he's untying the front. I'm heading to the seat to put it in gear & back away when a lure hits me in the chest. Good thing I had several thick layers of clothes on!!! I'm going "What the ****?" >:( Then I hear a lady on the shore going, "Oh, sorry about that" as she laughs. :-X*This is NOT OKAY!!! That could have been a real bummer. They should NOT be allowed to be casting so close to the ramp!!! :-/
Froggie [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

Hlawatyr
01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Have never fished this lake any boat ramp which is better to use and how is the water level for this time of year?Thanks for any info. :)

Slim
01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Here's my thoughts on more enforcement of regs about fishing so close to the boat docks. Yesterday morning while we were launching the boat at Melones. I lower the motor & start it so it's warming up by the time Tortuga parks the truck & gets back to the dock. Then he gets in & he's untying the front. I'm heading to the seat to put it in gear & back away when a lure hits me in the chest. Good thing I had several thick layers of clothes on!!! I'm going "What the ****?" >:( Then I hear a lady on the shore going, "Oh, sorry about that" as she laughs. *:-X*This is NOT OKAY!!! That could have been a real bummer. They should NOT be allowed to be casting so close to the ramp!!! :-/

They don't let you fish with in 100 + feet of the Pinecrest docks & ramps. There's bouys that mark it. You can't fish within the bouys near the docks. Although they don't enforce that when they let the water down !!
I saw the guys on the Mocasin docks other day with their rods in hand. Usally there's a sign saying no fishing from the docks. It wasn't there I take it?

Slim

Slim
01-02-2009, 11:17 AM
and how is the water level for this time of year?Thanks for any info. :)

Low....

In the last 10 years it looks like the highest (About full) the elevations was 829 feet.
Today it is 733 feet elevation. 96 feet down.

Mocasin Cove Creek is now about 200 Yards from the boat ramp. About a mile & 1/2 closer to the ramp than when the lake was full!!

This was a few years ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Misc%20pics/PanoMoccasinsmllrcopy.jpg

Same spot. Now it's mostly a creek.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Don%20Pedro/aug%2010%2007/emptycove.jpg

Slim

reeltor
01-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Froggie- there's an old saying around the foothills and mountains that says that some people start losing their common sense as they hit about 3000' elevation, and it gets worse as they head up the hill...don't know how to verify it, but I think there is probably a lot of anecdotal evidence.

Reeltor

twoelk48
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
No sign on the dock that Im use to seeing saying no fishing, there were signs saying no swimming and only 15 min aloowed on dock. I had to request the idiots on the dock bring theeir lines in so we could use the dock after tooting my horn we wanted to. To top things off one of the idiots mention he did not have a fishing license but yet was fishing with his kids. I reported this today to fish and game so they could check into it.
As for where I fish I am courtesy enough in my boat to give the bankies room to fish and not interfer with their operation. I expect teh same from bankies when coming in to a boat ramp that I don't have to contend with them. Kent

Hlawatyr
01-02-2009, 11:25 AM
:)Slim, Thanks for the photo's and info.

Slim
01-02-2009, 11:29 AM
* * No sign on the dock that Im use to seeing saying no fishing, there were signs saying no swimming and only 15 min aloowed on dock. *I had to request the idiots on the dock bring theeir lines in so we could use the dock after tooting my horn we wanted to. *To top things off one of the idiots mention he did not have a fishing license but yet was fishing with his kids. *I reported this today to fish and game so they could check into it. *
* * As for where I fish I am courtesy enough in my boat to give the bankies room to fish and not interfer with their operation. *I expect teh same from bankies when coming in to a boat ramp that I don't have to contend with them. *Kent

That's Something. As I was driving into there Tuesday on Jacsonvile / Stent rd I saw both F & G trucks driving away from that area. Wonder if they even went down there to check?

Slim

hunkfisher
01-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Might have to give Dp a shot before I head back to the boldt, wheres a good spot at and how do you get to Blue Oaks from the Sonora area thanks guys!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

nickjew1
01-02-2009, 07:17 PM
rainbow kastmasters, always a good choice.

twoelk48
01-02-2009, 08:33 PM
To get to Don Pedro from Manteca follow HWY 120/108 like your going to Sonora then turn right off on J 59 (La Grange Road) your go by a large sawmill on your left, keep going till you come to Bonds Flat Road and turn left. if you go pass the House Boat Mini store and boat yard go back and try again. After turning on to Bonds Flat Road go 1/4 of a mile and you can turn right in to Blue Oaks if you keep going Bond Flat rd takes you across the dam and up to Fleming Meadows area where bankies are also scoring. If your really adventurest take Hwy 120 all the way up to Hwy 49 turn right and you will cross a large bridge over the upper end of Don Pedro and there will be an exit to Moccasin which also has a ramp. This ramp puts you into Moccasin, Woods Creek and the Touloumne River

twoelk48
01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
From Sonora come down the hill turn left at Hwy 49 and after you cross the large bridge over the upper end of Don Pedro you will come to the Moccasin area and boat ramp. from the right of the boat ramp there is a dirt road that takes you up towards Moccasin Fish Hatchery and you will see guys fishing. if you want to go to Blue Oaks continue down Hwy 120 till you get to J 59 La grange rd and turn right then turn left on Bond Flat rd go 1/4 mi and your at the Blue Oak enterance, if you keep going straight you will hit Fleming Meadows to your right Kent

hunkfisher
01-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks after reading some more reports ill head to the meadows to fish it, probably be out friday.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

fishguts
01-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Here's my thoughts on more enforcement of regs about fishing so close to the boat docks. Yesterday morning while we were launching the boat at Melones. I lower the motor & start it so it's warming up by the time Tortuga parks the truck & gets back to the dock. Then he gets in & he's untying the front. I'm heading to the seat to put it in gear & back away when a lure hits me in the chest. Good thing I had several thick layers of clothes on!!! I'm going "What the ****?" >:( Then I hear a lady on the shore going, "Oh, sorry about that" as she laughs. :-X This is NOT OKAY!!! That could have been a real bummer. They should NOT be allowed to be casting so close to the ramp!!! :-/

If you get a chance to stop by the office over by the 49er bridge and file a complaint. I know during the summer they ticket the sunbathers who hang out on the docks and get in the way.

Athlete24
01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I always have had good luck at flemming meadows. I have not been there yet this year but you can probably just drive down the boat launch, if not go to the marina and you can drive down there. I know they plant it there and that there is a dock in the cove. (at least there was when the water was high). I think that you can fish off of it in the winter because no boats use it and there are no signs. They have even let us fish off the marina when we were the only ones there. You can get all your bait at the marina too.

steveo79
01-03-2009, 01:59 PM
No sign on the dock that Im use to seeing saying no fishing, there were signs saying no swimming and only 15 min aloowed on dock. I had to request the idiots on the dock bring theeir lines in so we could use the dock after tooting my horn we wanted to. To top things off one of the idiots mention he did not have a fishing license but yet was fishing with his kids. I reported this today to fish and game so they could check into it.
As for where I fish I am courtesy enough in my boat to give the bankies room to fish and not interfer with their operation. I expect teh same from bankies when coming in to a boat ramp that I don't have to contend with them. Kent

If you fish off of that dock, keep an eye out for Kent's boat.... ;)

hunkfisher
01-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Anymore reports going out friday with my buddy matt, dont want to not put him on fish just wondering thanks all!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Jonezin2fish
01-07-2009, 06:07 PM
How's the water level at Woods Creek is it dry?