PDA

View Full Version : Another 10 pound Pyramid Hog!

mrsockeye
12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I have been just about climbing the walls lately, penned up like some kind of caged animal. *All of this holiday stuff has meant little or no fishing. *Luckily for me, I finally got out and did some fishing today.

Accompanying me was my #1 fishing buddy The Catfish King. *We started our day trolling the west shore of the lake near Indian Head. *There are some fish in the area. *We got 2 to the boat, and had another one come unglued. *We also saw a bank fisherman land a *foul hooked 6 or so pounder. Then we fished the East Shore, there are a few fish scattered along the east side, but it's not anymore impressive than the west. *It was getting late in the day, and it was time to stick to a plan. *Finally a pattern emerged, and the bite kind of got going. *We landed 7 fish in about 2 hours. *I lost my hot Frog Apex, and it was just about dark. *It was beginning to look like a pretty ho-hum day, when the Catfish King's Rod just goes down hard. *The fight was on, and a few minutes later, I noticed a big wake on the surface. *The fish was running at the boat, and the Catfish King thought he had a small one. *I told him, "No way, that is a pig, it is throwing a huge wake!" *When the fish got about 40 feet from the boat it realized something was amiss. *It started making some big runs. *By now, it was just about to dark to see. *The fish got close to the boat, and I looked into the dark water and said, "That is a hog, get it away from that downrigger!" *The Catfish King managed to stear it away from the downrigger, and I almost made a swipe at it. *I'm glad I didn't, *as it made a last minute plunge to the bottom. Finally, the big boy tired, and I coaxed him into the net. *I first figured it was about 8.5 pounds or so, but when it hit the scale, it registered 10 pounds 4 ounces. *I forgot my ice chest, and figured that the fish would dehydrate quickly. *So, I covered it in a wet towel, and we raced across the lake in the dark. *Luckily, the fish only lost about an ounce or two, and it weighed in at 10 pounds 2.5 ounces at Crosby's. *That's two over ten for the boat this season. *
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/9889/1020328xd3.jpg (http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1020328xd3.jpg)
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/6830/1020333fw7.jpg (http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1020333fw7.jpg)
The hot depth today was 4 feet!

December has been a great month... as I predicted. More big fish have been caught this month than in the first two months of the season combined.

hooks
12-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Another one on the boards!! *Is that the biggest for week four? Catfish King gets his pic on the new updated web site maybe. :)

mrsockeye
12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
No, unfortunately not the biggest of the week. *This has been a steller week, 4 trout over ten pounds were weighed in. *The biggest was 12 and some change, by the King of Pyramid Lake, Peter Thompson. *His picture is on that board about 20 times. *Still, the Catfish King got his biggest cutt to date, and a much deserved one at that. He has been out there probably 20 times this season, netted a bunch of my big fish, and until now, his biggest was 5 pounds. He is a pretty happy camper!

Captain Compassion
12-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Hurray for The Catfish King and Hurray for Captain Sockeye. You are in the zone and you know it. Beautiful fish. 4 feet? :o

CC

MacDaddy
12-28-2008, 08:43 PM
You should change your name from Mr. Sockeye to Mr. Cutt and the Catfishking should change his name to Kingcutt. Nice fish. Better than I did today! 8-)

mrsockeye
12-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey Jon, you know you da man on those macks. Your buddy Tom had a great day though. I'm envious of those big macks you've been catching. The cutthroat fishing is just to good to pass up.

hooks
12-28-2008, 09:00 PM
That's great for Catfish King. PBs are well remembered. :)

CHICKFISHING58
12-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Nice job guys [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

Mike,
Whats up you didnt want to talk to me yesterday when I keyed up and asked if there were any fishsniffers you said nothing [smiley=foottap.gif] ;D

Great job again you are the man I did see on the board that a 15 lb was caught ;)

tejedarichard
12-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Good job Sockeye. That's a hog. It's good to see your getting some fishing in. Hopefully this weekend I get out and hit the water. *Well I thought I would put up the picture of YOUR last 10 lber. he looks like 15 lbs. Hope you don't mind. Nice Fish!
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p411/TEJEDARICHARD/RESIZED%20PICTURES/SOCKEYESLAHOTAHN.jpg

GOLDENTROUT
12-29-2008, 12:52 PM
The Mike and Mike show! Good job guy's. All the Mike's I know catch big fish ;D

Nice job guys [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

Mike,
Whats up you didnt want to talk to me yesterday when I keyed up and asked if there were any fishsniffers you said nothing [smiley=foottap.gif] ;D

Great job again you are the man I did see on the board that a 15 lb was caught *;)
That was my hand held we talked to you on last time ;) So until Mike gets one you got to wait until Im on board.
Mike the hint's not to get one ;D ;D ;D ;D
Once again good job with another pig!
Tight lines GT.
Ps I think you need to put them on your sig. ;)

mrsockeye
12-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Sorry about that Beth, I don't actually have a radio, I just bum one from those who do. *It was quiet out there, maybe 10 boats out judging by the number of trailers in the parking lot.

Today we took the beast into NDOW's office to enter it into the Nevada Record Books. It takes a fish of at least 10 pounds to qualify, and I was worried it wouldn't make it. I figured it would dehydrate just enough not to qualify. It just barely made it at 10.05 pounds, 29.25 inches! It lost 4 ounces from the time we landed it. *

red_perception
01-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Congrats on another Big Cutty brother ;) Good luck, Eric :)