PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Wed/Alameda Thurs

HookedForLife
06-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Towed my 15 ft. Klamath from Sacramento to Berkeley early Wed. to meet my fishing partner from Alameda. *Launched at about 6 AM, went around the breakwater and were greeted with wind and whitecaps. * We started fishing about 6:15 in the area of Berkeley pier just west of where the pier anglers can fish and immediately hooked and landed a 23-inch halibut on a trolled dodger/anchovy setup - nice to get rid of the skunk early, so we can relax from then on!

*We then trolled the full length of the pier to the end for nada. *The wind was so bad that I even took some water over my bow a few times. *If conditions had gotten any worse, I would have turned around and called it a day.

We drifted on the south side of the pier for over an hour with dead anchovies for nada, so decided to go back to where we caught the first hali. *I put on a deep diving broken back Rebel (white body with red head) and caught a 26- and 23-inch halibut at 9:00 AM and 11:30 AM. * *Unfortunately, the wind picked up again and got so bad that we quit around 1 PM.

On Thursday, we launched at Alameda and trolled the rockwall with a Rebel on one rod and a dodger and anchovy on the other for nada...even the bait wasn't showing! *So we went north and caught two halibut over 25" around the Oakland container ship area on dodgers and anchovies. *We then moved to Treasure Island at the beginning of the *outgoing tide for one short halibut on the same setup.

So the two of us ended up with 5 keeper halibut to split up between the two of us, which made the outing both fun and successful.

MoMoney
06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
thanks for the report.Way to tuff it out with caps and all.Hope you had your pfds on ::) ::)

jdecker
06-18-2009, 08:46 PM
I always wondered if BBR would work, now I know.
Thanks!

HookedForLife
06-18-2009, 08:51 PM
thanks for the report.Way to tuff it out with caps and all.Hope you had your pfds on ::) ::)

Oh yes, we had our pfds on and a marine band radio and cell phone for backup. Thanks for caring fo us with the reminder!

HookedForLife
06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I always wondered if BBR would work, now I know.
Thanks!

I always wondered about BBRs workling on halibut, so, so now I know, too! Our BBRs run about 10-12 feet deep, so you have to be in shallow water which is relatively weed-free for them to pick up the halibut. When we fished on Thursday, the water was too deep (over 20') for the BBRs so that's why all were caught on bait behind a dodger.

MoMoney
06-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I caught a 13 lber this year in 10 ft of water with a BBR.It was slow thought I might get a striper and ended up gettin a butt.They work!!