PDA

View Full Version : any luck trollin chabot this past weekend?

SnarF
12-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Im heading out there tomorrow and just wondering how the fishing has been with this recent rain, ill be trolling j-7 firetiger rap and kastmaster or panther martin since i've always done well with both.

last time i was out there i didnt have any luck trolling the j-7 and the guy at the boat dock said i should try using a weight so maybe i will do that this time.

Thanks.

SnarF
12-16-2008, 10:08 AM
ill post tomorrow and let you guys know how i did

Barbless_Fishin
12-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey Snarf - how did you do? I'm headed out there this weekend. It looks like they are planting another 2,000 pounds this week.

SnarF
12-17-2008, 12:25 PM
we decided not to go because of all the rain tuesday morning.. i wanted to be the first on the water between 6:30 and 7 but. it didnt even stop raining til well after that.

Barbless, good luck to you this weekend.. im gonna see if the girlfriend will let me head out there for a few hours christmas eve morning!

Barbless_Fishin
12-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for posting back Snarf. I'll post the results this weekend, hopefully with some pics of trout!

SnarF
12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
sounds good barbless, have fun! keep an eye on the weather, i think there is rain later this week.

fishmaster
12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
There is a lure by Yozuri called the "Goby". I used that when I went to Chabot years ago and caught alot of 5lb+ trout off it. Dont know if they still make it. The color was like a baby trout. Also trolled a red wedding ring at 10 feet otw. Troll from one end of half moon bay to the other pretty close to shore. I would crank the rental motor to 4. That seemed to be the speed they liked. Good Luck

SnarF
12-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the tip Fishmaster i will look into those lures and adjust my trolling route a bit too because other than near the island i havent really tried trolling close to shore.

HBFishin
12-19-2008, 12:37 PM
The last time Barbless and I were out at Chabot we got them near shore in the channel before the dam and about 15 yards off shore heading toward Bass Cove.
The lure of the day was 1/4 oz Kastmaster.
There are feeder fish in there that are just about the same size of a 1/4 oz to 3/8 oz kastmaster. I do not know what they are but they are goldish in color, almost like a baby bass.
Lets hope we can get some this weekend too.

SnarF
12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for posting hb, ill be tryin out my my gold 1/4 KM first when i get out there next tues. im still looking for a firetiger 1/4 but i've looked everywhere around hayward and nobody has them :(

Slapin_Bass
12-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Its going to be hard to find 1/4 oz firetiger in hayward...maybe waltons pond in castro valley...or its out to Bass Pro.

HBFishin
12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I have had to order lures online due to not being able to find them here in the Bay Area.
Believe it or not, Sports Authority had a 1/4 oz FT Kastmaster.
Another good one is the perch pattern. Gold with a FT like look to it - I think they officially call it Metallic Perch.
I got my largest fish to date on the perch kastmaster - over 8 lbs at Chabot.
Good luck Tuesday, Barbless and I will post how we do on Sunday.

Slapin_Bass
12-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I have had to order lures online due to not being able to find them here in the Bay Area.
Believe it or not, Sports Authority had a 1/4 oz FT Kastmaster.
Another good one is the perch pattern. Gold with a FT like look to it - I think they officially call it Metallic Perch.
I got my largest fish to date on the perch kastmaster - over 8 lbs at Chabot.
Good luck Tuesday, Barbless and I will post how we do on Sunday.

SSHHHHHHHHHHHH....Dont tell anyone about metallic perch....the fish dont even know about it yet!

SnarF
12-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Anyone know how the lure selection is at traders lately? i havent been down there in quite a few years and may make a trip this evening.

Thanks

HBFishin
12-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Slappin Bass - ;D You are not the only one that told me to shut it! ;)
Perch, what perch? I meant if your fishing for perch, yeah.

HBFishin
12-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Three of us went out on Sunday morning and got the big skunk. On the lake by 7:20.
Threw everything at them... Kastmasters, Rapalas, flashers with grubs, needlefish, spinners, there were no takers.
Did not even mark many fish on the fish finder.
Then it started raining.
All in all a slow, wet day on the water.

SnarF
12-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Aww man sorry to hear that HB.. i still plan to head out tomorrow no matter what.. got my rain gear ready! will let you know how it goes.

Snarf.

Texan211
12-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Also went out on Sunday with 3 guys at about 9 and were skunked. Were you fishin from the bank or trollin HB?

HBFishin
12-22-2008, 02:54 PM
That stinks that you were skunked too. We were trolling in very large silver canoe.

There were only 2 other boats out - a guy that parked it in half moon bay and a patio boat.

Did not see anyone catch a thing, nothing from the bank or boat.

Guess it was a slow day at Chabot.

Texan211
12-22-2008, 03:03 PM
I think I saw you...... I was at Coots Landing with 3 guys and i saw a canoe with 3 go by. Well i hope the fishing gets better...

Slapin_Bass
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Anyone know how the lure selection is at traders lately? i havent been down there in quite a few years and may make a trip this evening.

Thanks

I heard traders closed...I then heard they just stopped selling guns..Pretty easy to see why...Half the illegal guns wouldnt be on East Bay streets if it wasn't for them...In any case they have never really carried a great fishing selection...A typical Big 5 or walmart is about the same.

Slapin_Bass
12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
I looked at the Traders website and it looks like I was wrong. Give them a shot. Not sure where my story got confuzzled, but I know they had gotten in some trouble. And, like I said, I heard they had shut down. My uncle used to be a a sales rep for Smith and Wesson, and we would have lunch with the owner (I think it was the owner, I was only about 12) at a Mexican place on parrot street. Very nice guy, and sometimes would treat me to a few returned goodies he had. But, I never thought much of the fishing side of the store. Good luck tomorrow SnarF.

SnarF
12-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the responses SB! im all packed up for tomorrow, been puttin this trip off for 3 weeks. i bought about 4 or 5 new lures in that time so im really itchin to try them out..

will post as soon as i get home tomorrow!

Snarf

HBFishin
12-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Good luck tomorrow Snarf!

Texan211
12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Snarf tell me how you do and i might head out there toward end of week.

SnarF
12-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Will do texan. ill be back home around 1pm or so and will post then with pics if i get anything. :o

Barbless_Fishin
12-22-2008, 08:33 PM
I have to say, when it's cold at Chabot, it is COLD. We thought that we had 1 bite on Sunday, but I bet it was probably just snagged on a weed. Too bad, what a way to end the year at Chabot... the past couple of times I did well.

Another thing - we didn't see that many fish on the finder out there. Marked a few here and there in Bass cove, they were all really close to shore - around 25 feet deep. If you do head out - I'd give the shores a shot when trolling. They were all hanging around the bottom too.

SnarF
12-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey guys, i just got back from chabot. the trip started out pretty dead, i worked j-7's and kastmasters all the way to the dam after a trip around the island no luck at all.. when i finally got back to the dam/bass cove i noticed a couple guys fishing from shore catchin some pretty nice trout but i still had no luck after trolling back there for almost 2 hours. i was fed up and decided to head back while trolling my trusty panther martins and sure enough boom i got the 1 pounder.. circled back around and got the 3 pounder in the exact same spot.. as your coming through the narrows and entering bass cove they were about 50 feet out from shore on the east side near the first patch of tulies . * i also noticed as i was heading back in that alder point people were catchin em also.. so from the looks of it fishing was excellent today (at least from alder point to the dam) although it looked like i was the only troller out of the 4 or 5 boats on the water that caught anything. *

This is probably the 2nd or 3rd time where i've only had luck with PM's and absolutely nothing else. they are oldies but goodies!

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9726/photo0197ou1.th.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0197ou1.jpg)

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/4814/photo0198yn1.th.jpg (http://img396.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0198yn1.jpg)

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7392/photo0200vb2.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0200vb2.jpg)

Click on the pics for larger image

The smaller one took the yellow/red panther and the bigger one took the firetiger. *sorry the pics arent that great.. it was a camera phone

GOOD LUCK OUT THERE GUYS!

~Snarf

Slapin_Bass
12-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Way to go SnarF! Glad you got into some fish. Way to figure them out. I may have to try a PM or two next time. Im just not confident with them in a lake. In a stream.....completely different. Oh well, If I was fishing with you, I woulda caught mine on a Kastmaster. Just the way the fishing gods want it! Thanks for the report and pics.