PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about Lake Skinner in SoCal?

gonephishin
12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I am making a quick trip to SoCal to visit with some family but have a few hours tomorrow morning. They live about 10 miles away from Lake Skinner and I figured I can just bring my travel spinner set.

Anybody know much about this Lake?

Thanks!

gonephishin
12-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Long story short...got skunked, but its a pretty nice reservoir and sounds like they plant the thing with big trout.

Maybe next time...

Fishsticks
12-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I know this response is too late to help you for this trip but I know a little about the lake. *My in-laws live down there about 5 min from the lake. *There's a lot of smb, lmb, and stripers (catfish also). *If you go into the convience store you'll see lots of pictures. *It has some really big stripers which is what I'll be targeting in about a week or so when I go down there for Christmas. *I'm just trying to decide if I want to bring my boat all the way down or just rent one when I get there. *They have pretty good prices for daily rentals 12' aluminum boats (about $60 / day).
Well I hope you had a good trip, hope this helps a little for next time your at Skinner. *:)

gonephishin
12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
I am going to be back down there for Christmas as well.
Maybe I will see you on the lake!

Thanks for the advice.

Fishsticks
12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
I hope to see you down there. *I'll probably be trolling or drifting on the lake. *I dunno exactly what day I'll be at Skinner, I'm probably gunna try Diamond Valley Res. also. *

Captain Compassion
12-16-2008, 09:11 AM
If you are in the area you might want to take a look Diamond Valley. It's one of the best fisheries in Southern California and not far from Skinner.

http://www.dvlake.com/

CC

BigRichClovis
12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I would go Diamond Valley. If you can there is a really good guide for that lake. I saw him on the Dan Hernandez sport fishing show. I can not remeber his name but I am sure it is on Dan's web site.

Captain_Morgan
12-16-2008, 09:21 PM
I would go Diamond Valley. If you can there is a really good guide for that lake. I saw him on the Dan Hernandez sport fishing show. I can not remeber his name but I am sure it is on Dan's web site.

Agree, I have family in Temecula & that's turning into a good Bass lake. The only bad thing is that it's a drinking water lake,Like most in SoCal, lots of rules ruin the atmosphere to me...no drinking,no smoking,no swimming & no getting off on the shore. :( *Gee..can't wait till they have zebra mussels & shut it down. :-?

AllFishNoWork
12-17-2008, 05:12 AM
no smoking
Well, screw that place :D

chuckp73
12-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I used to live down there and it can be a great lake for Stripers. Slow trolling using one of the rental boats is the way to go. Diamond Valley can be great for bass this time of year on big swim baits or drop shotting down deep. You can also get into some trout, usually not far from shore or along the south dam. Good luck!