PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe Toplining 12/8/08 Old Style Brown

St._Denis
12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
* *Well, *Mark Wiza and I headed out of Cave Rock in the PT-109 this morning in building waves ..... Into a uncertain sea in search of Big Mackinaw and Browns !!! Going old style and trolling just one lure each out each side of the boat we worked in tight off cave rock , logan shoals , deadman point and skyland point . Letting out 180 to 400 feet of line we got stuck, lost lures and finally , thank god ,...we hooked into a dark and wonderfully spotted Tahoe Brown at 4 pounds and 22 inches long !! The 4:00pm ramp closure cut short our prime bite period and we headed into calming seas and another awesome sierra sunset !!! *49 degrees to 14 degrees north , north west wind 5 to 20 provided "Brisk" conditions to say the least !! We were the only boat at the launch again. *Aloha !!! * gst * * :-X :-? ::) :o ;)

hitdog777
12-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Hard work and time under tough conditions makes the payoff that much better!!! *Nice job guys and thanks for the report.

You make it sound so much better that my day at work!

hooks
12-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Old school toplining, my favorite way to fish! As close to shore as your lures will allow. Big browns, rainbows, and macks lurking in the rocks for an unsuspecting minnow or small fish to happen by and wham!!! Fish on!! :)

Glad you guys hooked up.

danlbee
12-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Toplining is a productive way to go this time of the year. Thanks for the info. My son and I are set to go out wensday morning either north or south :-/ ;) At any rate the winds should be a little calmer. 8-)

St._Denis
12-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Mark and I had a great time fishing regardless of the winds. We both were talking about how the Fall Topline bite has ben delayed because of the Indian Summer weather , perhaps this weekends distubance will stir up the inshore Bite !! The Mackinaw Lake Trout Bite "Deep" for me is the best I Have Had in months ( limits for all ), so we will see, if it carries over to the shallows !!! Aloha !!! gst :) ;D :( :o 8-) ::)

Mackattack
12-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Burrrr ! Thanks for the report Gene.

Mackattack

danlbee
12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
We are hoping it carries over into the shallows. All we have is lead core? Should be a great day either way. 16ft crestliner

St._Denis
12-09-2008, 02:03 PM
* *Run out 15 to 18 colors out, or as much as you can ....work the 60 to 80( to 100 ) foot zone out front of Cave rock . The under water point immediatly south of cave rock (west out from first buoy) , is good with macks. As well as the next point north ( kashogees). The flat in between and on to the north to logan shoals buoys also carries good Mackinaw Populations as well. I have gotten some good Rainbow there in that flat as well !! Aloha !!! * *gst * * 8-) ::) ;) :)

danlbee
12-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the execellent info. After reading your last post I had to run down and top off our fishing tackle arsenal. :)go fish ;) 8-) :-?

St._Denis
12-10-2008, 07:46 AM
* Glad to be of help !!! Good Hunting as well !! *And just to review the Holiday seasons Charter Special we are offering only to Fish Sniffers !!! Go to Vendors Board for special one time rates to fish Lake Tahoe on the PT-109 for Mackinaw Lake Trout !! And if you go out on Lake Tahoe in your own Boat, well then...... I wish you nothing but , Radiateing Head Shakes and Nets with fish !! Our most productive lead core style of lures are AC Plugs, Trophy Sticks, Rapalas, Smith wicks, Rebels and Bomber Long "A" s !! They hit Better and hold on Better with some sort of Scent on them ( the lures) ie.... pro-cure,or Smelly Jelly etc. *Aloha !!!! gst * :-? ::) 8-) ;) :P

BassJack
12-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Gene,

Nice report as usual! Regarding the early ramp closures - has there been any discussion of putting in spikes so you can drive out at any time?

~Jack

St._Denis
12-10-2008, 07:58 PM
It's been brought up and they will think about it !!! The problem is you have to go down then back up the ramp to get your boat out. Most spike bars work as it one way direction for tires. This summer I think will show any or all of the short commings of the system . Bass Jack .... I just Hate to be Regulated !!! Good to here you Jack , and don't stop thinking up some different Ideas !!! Aloha !!! gst :) ;) :( :o :-? ::)

BassJack
12-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Most of the time they put the spikes right at the entrance gate by the pay booth on the outgoing side of the lane. That way they can lock the entrance side but allow people to leave across the spikes on the exit side. This is how it is set up at Folsom Lake, Discovery Park, Garcia Bend and lots of other ramps here in the Sacramento area. Real bummer if we can't fish Tahoe in the evenings this summer.

St._Denis
12-11-2008, 08:31 AM
*That is a good idea, they would have to have a turn around section there before closed gate for late boaters at the shed. However I will pass this on !! *Any way to fish the Lake at legal fishing hours after sunset would be a bonus to us local yocals and visiters alike . I got a couple calls on Tahoe charters that are open on Lake tahoe in the winter and only 3 are open All year round 1. Blueribbonfishing - the only private family run guide service (year round). 2. Mickey daniels ( Big Mack Charters)- with his big circle and little circle in Agate Bay. 3. and the Cattle boats of Tahoe Sportfishing. Mike Nielson ( he pulled his boat out in October) and every one else only has their boats on the water for 4 to 5 months a year...and then they pull thier Boats out of the Water for the rest of the year. Mike for example moves back to Idaho were he lives. *And No , we do not charge a Extra Fuel Surcharge rate and Required Tip Rate as others do . * *All we do is Fish on Lake Tahoe ... no snowmobile *tours , ski rentals, carpentry, moving to another state etc. *The Grand Parents have had a cabin at Tahoe since 1931. My Dad, Uncle, and Grandfather have fished Lake Tahoe and Pyramid Lake Exclusivly hundreds, thousands of times or more, and turned me on to it with a Passion and Love that only some ....can understand. I have many black and white fishing photos of them with large fish and thier Indian Guides some times !!! Lake Tahoe Is the Largest Mackinaw Lake in the West and It Has the Largest Population of Large to Monster Sized Lake Trout ... bar none. We can also pickup clients at North Shore...sunnyside etc. if weather permits. I consider it a Privaledge to Learn and Fish Her..... " The Lake of the Sky " * * Lake tahoe ... the Jewel of the High Sierra's *!!! * * * *Aloha !!! * * gst * *:) :o 8-) ::) ;D

MacDaddy
12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
*That is a good idea, they would have to have a turn around section there before closed gate for late boaters at the shed. However I will pass this on !! *Any way to fish the Lake at legal fishing hours after sunset would be a bonus to us local yocals and visiters alike . I got a couple calls on Tahoe charters that are open on Lake tahoe in the winter and only 3 are open All year round 1. Blueribbonfishing - the only private family run guide service (year round). 2. Mickey daniels ( Big Mack Charters)- with his big circle and little circle in Agate Bay. 3. and the Cattle boats of Tahoe Sportfishing. Mike Nielson ( he pulled his boat out in October) and every one else only has their boats on the water for 4 to 5 months a year...and then they pull thier Boats out of the Water for the rest of the year. Mike for example moves back to Idaho were he lives. *And No , we do not charge a Extra Fuel Surcharge rate and Required Tip Rate as others do . * *All we do is Fish on Lake Tahoe ... no snowmobile *tours , ski rentals, carpentry, moving to another state etc. *The Grand Parents have had a cabin at Tahoe since 1931. My Dad, Uncle, and Grandfather have fished Lake Tahoe and Pyramid Lake Exclusivly hundreds, thousands of times or more, and turned me on to it with a Passion and Love that only some ....can understand. I have many black and white fishing photos of them with large fish and thier Indian Guides some times !!! Lake Tahoe Is the Largest Mackinaw Lake in the West and It Has the Largest Population of Large to Monster Sized Lake Trout ... bar none. We can also pickup clients at North Shore...sunnyside etc. if weather permits. *I consider it a Privaledge to Learn and Fish Her..... " The Lake of the Sky " * * Lake tahoe ... the Jewel of the High Sierra's *!!! * * * *Aloha !!! * * gst * *:) :o 8-) ::) ;D

Feeln ya on the privlage of fishing such a beautiful place... The odds of us being able to catch a fish of our dreams is so high on the Jewel of the Sierra's.... Picture how many giant's crusied the shallows when your grandfather was a kid... AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 8-)

St._Denis
12-11-2008, 05:12 PM
* *That's it exactley that Mc Daddy !!!! We all are lucky and fortunate to have such a Fantastic Alpine Lake And Surrounding Mountain Range of the Sierra Nevada mountains !!! * Happy Holidays !!! * Mackinaw Bite deep is still very good for experienced Anglers and even for me *and others * * .... Today we netted Mackinaw *Lake trout 25 inches to the biggest 11 pounds 32 inches long !! *6 total !! *Normally I lose them !!! * * *Aloha * !!!!!!! * * gst ;D :o 8-) ::) :-* ;) :)

hooks
12-11-2008, 06:15 PM
* *That's it exactley that Mc Daddy !!!! We all are lucky and fortunate to have such a Fantastic Alpine Lake And Surrounding Mountain Range of the Sierra Nevada mountains !!! * Happy Holidays !!! * Mackinaw Bite deep is still very good for experienced Anglers and even for me *and others * * .... Today we netted Mackinaw *Lake trout 25 inches to the biggest 11 pounds 32 inches long !! *6 total !! *Normally I lose them !!! * * *Aloha * !!!!!!! * * gst ;D :o 8-) ::) :-* ;) :)

;D

Edited to add......

GSD, for you to exclude yourself from the catagory of experienced anglers just made me laugh. That is all. Carry on. :)

St._Denis
12-12-2008, 04:32 AM
Hooks , are you guys having the same no show for toplining ( like Normal Years) right now the same as us ? Aloha !!! gst ;) ::)

deep_troller
12-12-2008, 05:41 AM
tire spikes and 1 gate at the booth is the only intelligent way to go. why didnt all of us smart people think of it before. Also Lake
Tahoe is a World Wide destination as we all know so please explain to me why nobody monitors the marine radio during fishing hours or even during daylight. I am 74 and have had 2 incidents where State parks could have helped. I also had a friend who had an incident at Sand Harbor and no e m t met us at the dock nor did the coasties return my s o s call. The ambulance came from crystal bay and fire trucks and eventually they took both of us to carson in seperate ambulances. The times at cave rock a ambulance came after willy billy called them but came from Calif. barton down by the wye while I was down in the parking lot. No e m t from state parks when there are state parks employees there. Why are they not certified e m t if working at a world wide destination. it surprises me i didnt die there which would have been okay but uncalled for. I am going to try and see the Gov. and put these facts out and will start today trying. There was an attempt made by me a few years ago to get something done but I was met with "the usual i dont know" attitude. Now I am on the war path again

hooks
12-12-2008, 06:34 AM
* Hooks , are you guys having the same no show for toplining ( like Normal Years) right now the same as us ? * Aloha !!! * *gst * ;) ::)

I have caught two macks and a small rainbow and had a big fish on for awhile that broke me off. So ya, the toplining is slow for me right now. RonG caught 4 macks toplining in the Kings Beach area about a week or so ago. My friend toplined there a couple of days ago for nadda. There have been a few fishermen toplining the area while I'm out there, but don't know if they caught anything. They are trying though.

Still catching macks deep though. Mainly from Dollar Hill out to the corner. Very few on the Tavern Hole side. :)

troutfan
12-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Just a reminde for all you Tahoe and Pyramid fishermen to be very careful out there this weekend as they are predicitng some very strong winds;
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NVZ003&warncounty=NVC005&fi rewxzone=NVZ450&local_place1=3+Miles+NE+Minden+NV& product1=High+Wind+Warning