PDA

View Full Version : Lake Chabot (I Have Questions For You Guys)

Texan211
12-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey Guys, I am planning on going to Lake Chabot and I'm wondering what kind of lures to get. I plan to fish from shore and fish for trout. I'm thinking hard, checking these forums, and probably will buy a gold 1/4 kastmaster (SW-10) and maybe a chrome (SW-10) too. I was also planning on buying a jointed firetiger rapala (J7) or a jointed rainbow trout rapala (J7). I was also looking at the countdown rapala as well. I have a couple questions for you guys. Which lures have worked best for you guys? Where are the best places to fish on Lake Chabot for trout since I plan to fish from shore? Do you use the Treble Hook, Single Hook, or w/ Bucktail teaser? What kind/color powerbait has worked best for you? Hows the lake been biting? Is there anything that would else that would help me? Please help me guys.

Thanks Guys

Texan * *

HeyNiceFish
12-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Texan211,

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1228179132

Check it out.

HNF

johnbfishin
12-04-2008, 11:39 PM
From the bank I'd go with an inflated crawler & mallow floated 18" off the bottom.

GoneCountry
12-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Sounds like ya got the lures right.... Off the bank I use white or green Power eggs... sliding sinker and bobber with swivel unhooked and placed over the line in between eyes.... next to tip to indicate action ..............best places to fish are Indian Cove Racoon Point or Coots Landing....But Like anywhere Ya never know Good Luck looking forward to your report

RolandMartinJr.
12-05-2008, 11:05 AM
If you're fishing from bank you want to throw a lure you can toss deep. *I have been catching most of my fish on 1/4 oz. kastmasters throwing them deep. *Use 6lb sensithin, it has the diameter of 4lb test so you can really throw it out there. *rapalas won't give you much distance. *I use rapalas if i can see trout cruising the banks or if i'm trolling but kastmasters you can cover a lot more water. try gold silver and firetiger or whatever else color you have until you get them. *With the other rod throw out power eggs with a 2-3ft. leader. chartuese works the best. *I was bass fishing honker bay yesterday and there were several guys fishing racoon pt. *They only caught 3 between about 6 guys in 2 hours so I think the east side of the lake is slow right now. try bass cove. saw people catching more trout over there while bass fishing on sunday.

Keating
12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
I usually use 3/8 Kastmasters at Chabot, they go further when further is needed, I catch fish down to 10 inches with them so I don't feel they are too big. For Chabot, my favorite KM is gold with one side brown speckled

Powerbait wise I often mix PBs Corn scent is one I use often there
Othewise white power eggs work well

Inflated worms also work well

I try to get there early (pre-light) and generally am leaving by 9-10 AM, it seems like this lake was always a early morning bite in the distant past so that is all I do, no idea if they turn back on later

EastBayJ
12-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Hmm, funny you say that, because I stopped going there so early because I'd never get a bite before 9 or 10 when the sun comes out. In fact, the only reason I go there any earlier is to get a decent spot. Guess I'll try and start going early again.

Texan211
12-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

HBFishin
12-10-2008, 02:58 PM
EastBayJ - I agree. There has been a 9-10 am bite at chabot. I always end up getting there real early only to get little to nothing until mid-morning.

EastBayJ
12-10-2008, 04:23 PM
EastBayJ - I agree. There has been a 9-10 am bite at chabot. I always end up getting there real early only to get little to nothing until mid-morning.

Haha, well HB those fish just have no rhyme or reason, because I went there really early last Saturday and caught 3 and almost caught 2 more between the hours of 6 and 8 and then left at about 10:30 after not getting another bite. I guess the best time at Chabot is before noon?