PDA

View Full Version : Powerbait or Gulp trout bait?

yonnr2000
12-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I was going to pick up some dough bait for trout fishing. I usually buy powerbait, but after reading some of the recent Berkley adds that refer to the gulp baits as their best trout baits ever I was thinking about trying them out. Anyone have any opinions about which one works better? Gulp is a little more expensive, and I don't recall many people on the boards mentioning gulp baits in their fish reports.

Jetspray
12-02-2008, 06:21 AM
I use all three so far, Powerbait, Turbodough Powerbait, and Gulp. I also carry scents, greases that are of the same name. The gulp eggs have been productive up here in the past couple of weeks. I change things up when someting is working like color. I find that the gulp is not quite as sticky on the hooks so using a little powerbait on the hook then surrounding it with gulp makes for the doubble whammy in my book......Jetspray

ReelJerks
12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
.....The Gulp sticks much beer to the Powerbait then to the hook.

CC

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D Just where is your mind at CC ?

FishFiend916
12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
In my opinion, powerbait hands down is better! Not turbo or extra scent, just plain rainbow powerbait w/glitter. I always use a very small baitholder hook as I found the bait stays longer than egg/octopus hooks and I use a very small amount, just enough to cover the hook and float. Powereggs also are very productive, maybe its just coincidence, but I've used Gulp and Gulp eggs as well as Zeke's and havent had ANY success on any of them. To me its PBait 100% of the time(when using dough baits) I even found a troutbait at wildsports years ago that was 100% gauranteed to catch more fish or send it back for your refund....long story short, 3 months later I recieved a check for $3.20 that I bought a fresh jar of Pbait with!!!

STRIPER_STEVE
12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I have used PB for years with great success from the sinking stuff when first released to the salmon/trout floating to all the new stuff including the captain america color. On another note I did a bank trip to Del Valle last year to just get out and burn some time not expecting to catch anything. My Daughter had gotten a free jar of yum with krilla in Chartruese color from the fishing EXPO. So I said what the heck Ill try it. 10 trout released and a half empty jar I am thinking this stuff isnt bad. :o ;D ;D

Jetspray
12-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Skallywag I think that CC's T's got stuck....beer....better.....Jetspray

Jetspray
12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
There are advantages and dis-advantages to the eggs. They tend to be rubbery so they stick better to the hook, however they do not dissipate scent as well as the doughs. I like both and use both.....Jetspray

Phinger28
12-02-2008, 09:12 PM
The gulp eggs are cool. they are long lasting.

Jetspray
12-03-2008, 05:36 AM
I like the gulp eggs too but add scent to them, kinda a doubble whammy....Jetspray

Bakkie
12-03-2008, 12:12 PM
I would say use Pautzke green label salmon eggs. ;D

auburnfisher
12-03-2008, 03:17 PM
PB... last year at amador i used two other name brand dough baits and watched my buddy right next to me pull out one after the other. he was using pb. all else was the same.

DazShooter
12-03-2008, 03:30 PM
It's just like trolling lures. They are quite a few tried and true brands, colors shapes, but what works one day might not work the next. Same water, same fish, location. If this wasn't the case, fishing would be too easy and the thrill from figuring it out would be gone.

Personally, if I'm banking it with a typical s. sinker rig, if it floats well, it will work. I've noticed that the bouyancy factor of different brands or even types of dough ("double stregth super glitter PB" vs reg PB) can vary dramatically. Just barely covering the hook with one dough may float very easily while another dough may need twice as much to float the hook. Always double check bouyancy before casting out each reset/re-bait.

Jetspray
12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
If it does not want to float better I just increase the wad size of the ball of dough. If that does not work add marshmellows to the setup. I have blow up worms with an injector before but do not rely on that now.....Jetspray

rpwlaw11
12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
I tried them out side by side on several occasions. Gulp and regular power bait. Gulp didn't make any difference for the price or extra scent difference. Regular power bait won every time. This was on different lakes. Scientific study, nope. But that was my end result. They both work, but regular power bait won every time. By the way, I used the same colors, just to make sure everything was as similiar as possible. Even to the point if when spot caught fish, I would cast the other dough bait to the approximate spot. Regular power bait still got more of the action. Last note, regular power bait and your favorite Pro Cure scent is awesome. Just my own non scientific studies.

Mackattack
12-04-2008, 09:23 PM
or maybe cc's secret is he uses pb, and beer together??

I think CC,s trick is he fishes more than most of us and that greatly increases his odds ?

Mackattack

rpwlaw11
12-05-2008, 05:59 AM
I think CC,s trick is he fishes more than most of us and that greatly increases his odds ?

LOL. When I retire, I'm gonna be like C. C. :D Green with envy!