PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 12/2

firetrout
12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Started the day at 7:30 . Worked the marina area with grubs, nothing. Went through the narrows nada, then to Swallow bay for a go round. Nada. Went down to Herron Bay and at 10:30 my friend gets a double, one on firetiger grub and one on a super duper needle fish. Right after we reset I get hit on a firetiger grub. That was it got off the water at 2pm. sizes 13 inch, 15, 16 inches.

A nice weather day. Only saw a total of 10 boats all day the guys said they check 15, I think with yaks and tubes. ::)

Very slow bite and I think the bait soakers did better on the south end today. Lake level is down 8-10 feet.
I was there on Wed. and it looks like it was 2-3 feet lower today. Also I we got 6 on Wed. 15-16 inches.

Schu
12-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the report

Polebrother
12-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the report. *Don't know much about how varying water levels impact trout fishing but seems the dropping levels at DV have slowed the bite. *Does anyone know when DV's water level will stabilize? * Also, I wonder if the projected number/size of trout plants are tied to the lake's fluctuating water level in any way? *Finally, has the lake "turned over"...whatever that means? *Thanks. *

ryanerb
12-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the report, it seemed like on Sunday the baitfishers were doing better on the southend as well, i was trollin around though.

dinos marine
12-03-2008, 07:32 AM
question, so how do the fish taste? i have noticed that the bay area lakes, the fish taste a little muddy. is this the same at dv? figured if i have to pay to fish, the fish should taste good enough for the smoker ;D

Kamakasifisherman
12-03-2008, 07:44 AM
I've been throwing mine in a smoker and find,compared to a mountain caught trout, the fish are a bit soft. They taste okay but I think they need to be in a bit colder water so they "toughin up" a bit.

About fishing grubs, I am new to it and would like some info on how to do it. I may have to try it next time I am at DV.

Johnny
12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
nice report, fish taste great.. fishing buddy & I were surprised.. nothing like mountain or stream fish up north but we difffently gave the fish a thumbs up.. one was pink meat.. ;D

freon
12-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Good report Willie, glad to see that you are getting out and nailing some fish ;)

Klamdog
12-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Firetrout,
Thanks for the report! *Glad you got your boat dried out! *Two days/Nine fish! *Sounds like better than most reports lately! *I can't make it this weekend, have to do the "Christmas decorating stuff", but next weekend is my sights, hope to see you out there!

hitdog777
12-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Question about how to rig and troll grubs. *Check the two links below and you will find all the information you need. *

I asked the same question 3 years ago about fishing grubs and it's been very productive technique.

I like to put a contrasting color power egg on first and then thread the grub onto the hook. I personally don't bend the hook. There are several differnt techniques but it's one that is certainly worth learning.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1137907053/15#15

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=fresh_trout;action=display;num=11354 66742;start=3#3

johnbfishin
12-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm going to try to hit DV this Sat. Yesterday while splitting some wood I may have found some good bait. I found 4 of these, I hope they don't scare the fish.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6205/grubsxi9.jpg.

Woody
12-04-2008, 10:07 AM
John now that's one hell of a power grub.

If you don't catch fish with them you can fry them up with some butter and garlic and eat them.

Woody

johnbfishin
12-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I'd rather catch fish with'em, but just in case I found this....I'll post it on the receipe board as well. ;)

Cicada Larvae Recipe
Cicadas are best known in culinary world for its protein reach larvae. Itís best to prepare larvae since its skin still soft. Larvae is basically young Cicada that is about to become and adult. It usually hinds underground for the most of its life and climb the tree in early May and this is best time to collect it for your protein reach dish.

For example you may prepare meal called Soft-Shelled Cicadas. You need just 1 cup Worcestershire sauce, 30 freshly emerged 17-year cicadas, 2 eggs, beaten, 1.5 cups flour, Salt and pepper to season the flour, 0.5 cup corn oil or slightly salted butter. You should marinate cicadas in Worcestershire sauce for several hours. Dip them in the beaten egg, roll them in the seasoned flour and then gently saute until they are golden brown.