PDA

View Full Version : A question on the differences between lakes

buzzbait
12-02-2008, 11:05 AM
I've noticed that Pyramid and Red are getting a lot of attention. Same with Eagle and Bucks. *All of this so late in the year and many seem to mention that the lakes are "ready to turn on".

However, at Oroville Lake and some other spots I fish that are further down into the valley than those upper lakes, there are no bites to be had.

Do any of you have any ideas on why there is such a stark contrast between Eagle and Oroville and how they fish late in the season?

Also, anyone have good luck catching Bows in the Big O? *Where?

mrsockeye
12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
We are all awaiting some truely cold weather here on the east slope of the Sierras. The water temp is in the ideal range right now at Pyramid, 54 degree surface temp, the preferred temp of salmonids. Part of the reason people anticpate this time of year is fish migration, in Eagle Lake, the fish are migrating into shallow water and more reachable to more anglers. The same goes for Pyramid, where the fish are moving to the banks where shore fisherman can get them. Part of the alure to this time of year is historical good fishing. Red is known for good brook and cutt action right before it ices up, and as soon as the ice melts. Some species of salmonids go on feeding sprees right before/after ice out.
One of the reasons that you aren't catching bows in Oroville is that they are fairly scarce. Last I heard they didn't plant bows becuase they were dying of a naturally occuring disease in the lake. Same problem that chinook salmon had, hence the coho stocking. The only bows in the lake are natural Feather River progeny. The best place to look for these fish is near the feeder streams. There are also a vary few huge browns lurking in there.

tinytrout
12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Oroville has dropped so much along with other lakes that I think the fish are in shock and not used to the dramatic water loss. It puts them out of there natural element.

buzzbait
12-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Interesting. I got you about the trout. Few and far between.

So, the coho do not go on a "feeding spree" then? Is that becasue we do not get ice? How would one typically fish them in the winter in Oroville Lake..not at all?

I basically need a way to target some fish through this winter and I dont' care what species they are.....even the pan fish at this reservoir I go to have all disappeared. :( Do i need to start concentrating on Steelies?

Starting to get non-trout related, so maybe a PM?

Thanks.