PDA

View Full Version : Pincrest/ Lyons Res Tomorrow

hunkfisher
11-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I have one more day to fish and its tomorrow before heading back up to Humboldt, was going to hit Amador or Camanche but i need a change of scenery. I remember going up towards pinecrest back in the summer was wondering does this lake stay "open" (no closed gates on the roads) during the winter months and is it worth it to head up that way early tomorrow, ill probably fish the inlet and beach areas if I go also looking for info on Lyons res its also in the are if i remember correctly. Thanks all who reply sniffers and hope you all had a great turkey day!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Mackattack
11-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi ! Brad welcome back and goodbye. Hope you catch some fish. Have a safe trip back to school and keep your helmet on.

Mackattack

steveo79
11-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it does... *there are homes there on the lake, don't think they can lock them away. *More likely that Lyons would be locked, but sure about that either. *

Here's a link that may help out....

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/stanislaus/visitor/pinecrest.shtml

From what I read, you should have access.

Mackattack
11-28-2008, 01:21 PM
What about Schaads Lk. its right up the road from you ?

*Mackattack

Chadzilla
11-28-2008, 01:53 PM
You'll have no problems getting into Pinecrest- it is "open" all year, snow permitting. Some diehards even snowshoe in during the dead of winter to fish the dam area. The last floating dock is usually pretty good this time of year, but if you wanted to hoof it to the inlet you'd be chasing fish that have been getting a lot less pressure lately.

Not sure about Lyons... I usually take a back way into there that is not necessarily ever "open". However, at least you'll be able to see whether or not the gate is open on your way through Sierra Village. Have a great trip!

Chadzilla
11-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Brad... you may want to check out Slim's "Fishin In The Rain" post on the Fly Fishing board. He was just at Pinecrest and posted some nice pics and a little report.

hunkfisher
11-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks Chad i looked at the report looks like the spin guys had a little more success than slim, ill be up that way tomorrow might stop and fish angels creek below Angels Camp tomorrow too with my fly rod for some brownies, not much day light but i am going to fish from sun up to down
Mack-I was thinking there too but from what i remember they close the road in the winter so it doesnt get destroyed

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Mackattack
11-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks Chad i looked at the report looks like the spin guys had a little more success than slim, ill be up that way tomorrow might stop and fish angels creek below Angels Camp tomorrow too with my fly rod for some brownies, not much day light but i am going to fish from sun up to down
Mack-I was thinking there too but from what i remember they close the road in the winter so it doesnt get destroyed

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Yes they do close the road just up from the pond,you know where it turns towards the lake. But there is parking on the left before the gate, you just walk in. Only 10min. walk or 2min. hustle for a Hunk like you ! Good luck where ever you go and take pics(we luv pics).

*Mackattack
P.S. I know there,s some biggun,s in there as they closed the CG and bar a while ago. You can rent a CG by the year now but the last time I was there only one trailer was parked. At the lake only five folks fishing and that included my wife and I.

Mackattack

hunkfisher
11-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Heading out the door right now Mack I am thinking about hitting it on the way home youll have to wait and see in my report! Thanks for the info

Brad "Hunkfisher"

HOOF
11-29-2008, 09:54 AM
The gate to lyons is closed-took a ride to pincrest fri and it is low-just about ready for the inflatible!!-it was glassy calm

hunkfisher
11-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Here's the story.....Left Jackson around 6 got into Pinecrest at about 8 perfect timing sun was just coming up over the hill, fish were rising everywhere, I was really surprised how much water was in there. Fished off the floating docks with about 5 other guys they had most of the action as they had the prime spots facing out towards the main body of the lake. I had 3 hits and three misses on worms under a bobber, i was late setting the hook on two with my fly rod using a mosquito. Action slowed a bit so i started to walk around back got out to where the trail starts on the south side cam into a cove where it was still shady found a lot of fish still rising so i threw out a bobber with worm and bam had 8 fish in as many casts, nice looking fish full fins nice red stripes anywhere from 12-14", i figured these fish had either been planted early this year or were holdovers fought pretty good too. Couldn't get them to hit the fly or Kastmaster or fly n bubble set up. Caught three more in the 10" range. I broke a cardinal rule of mine never leave a spot where you're catching fish to a spot where you THINK there would be fish. Left for the inlet, realized how much the lake dropped off from my last visit, anyway caught nothing back there not even a tap. Walked out to the car about noon in gorgeous weather, lots of families out and about on the trail. Drove down to some spots i was looking into fishing next spring, Lyons canal in Twain Harte, Sullivan Creek, Moccasin Creek, Powerhouse stream all look like good fly fishing creeks with my 3 wt. Well until December ill be back at the local haunts with my full arsenal(sorry Mack no pics left the camera at home). Thanks for all the help guys that's why i love this forum.
By the way Guy you are correct the gate to Lyons was closed and locked.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Captain Compassion
11-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Very good Hunk. Sorry we couldn't hook up over the holiday. Love those holdover bows. Have a good rest of the semester. See you soon.

CC

steveo79
11-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I thought the creeks, like Angels Creek, closed to fishing on 11-15? *If so, probably good you didn't fish them. ;D

hunkfisher
11-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Steve you are correct on your statement they are closed above HWY 49. I was going to walk down Angels Creek and fish from glory Hole Up to a property line, its got some holes that are nice!
CC looks like Stockerfest (if it happens) 2009 or the Topaz opener will be our next encounter, see you next year!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

steveo79
11-30-2008, 04:45 PM
* * My folks have a house right on the creek, on the west side of 49. *If you have spotted that white wooden footbridge, right after passing through the stop sign downtown, you were looking right at the property.

*I used to fish my way down to Melones from our house there, but that was back before the new dam was built. *Used to catch some nice little browns, always C&R'd them. *they were like old friends....

Slim
11-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Welcome to my back yard. *8-) Glad you had a great time. When I went up there last week I didn't fish too hard.. Just wanted to see what the lake looked like.

I saw on another post, of a couple of guys working the shallows next to the shore line for Hogs and I thought I would see if Pinecrest was as good as that. It wasn't for me, not on that day at lease, but it was fun trying.

If your up this way again and if you have a Mt Bike we could ride into Lyons.. Only take about 30 min ride from my house. *8-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Lion%20Res/Dam4-1.jpg

Osprey attacking an Eagle and the Eagle is upside down to protect herself... There at Lyons
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Eagle/Ospreyharrassingeaglegreat.jpg