PDA

View Full Version : Boca Reservoir 11/23

iammikey
11-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Arrived at BOCA around 7:30 AM and noticed only 2 others at the lake. *It was freezing cold and foggy and the smoke from the fire was hovering over the lake in the early morning. *The lake was a lot different than last week - the water level dropped about 4 feet. *Fished until 11:45 AM and gave up after no hits between 4 poles set up with Powerbait and Night Crawlers. *Ended up at Cabela's and spending too much hard earned cash then returned to the lake just after 3:30 and noticed a lot of cars and people towards the dam. *I'm not sure if they were into fish or not.

My kids only caught 2 trout this time and both were taken on inflated night crawlers. We missed 4 other hits between Powerbait and crawlers and gave up just after sunset. *The Rainbow trout were caught no further than 15 feet from shore. *

Cleaned the fish when I got home and discovered I had one male and one female. The male was full of sperm and the female was full of eggs. *Stomachs were full but I was unable to recognize what they were feeding on.

Anyways, I give up on early morning at this lake and figured it's more of an afternoon/evening lake. *Sorry, but no pics this time.

fishingfan
11-24-2008, 12:32 AM
thanks for the report. i was thinking about trying that lake next weekend... maybe i'll reroute? :D ;)

hooks
11-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Arrived at Rollins around 7:30 AM and noticed only 2 others at the lake. *It was freezing cold and foggy and the smoke from the fire was hovering over the lake in the early morning. *The lake was a lot different than last week - the water level dropped about 4 feet. *Fished until 11:45 AM and gave up after no hits between 4 poles set up with Powerbait and Night Crawlers. *Ended up at Cabela's and spending too much hard earned cash then returned to the lake just after 3:30 and noticed a lot of cars and people towards the dam. *I'm not sure if they were into fish or not.

My kids only caught 2 trout this time and both were taken on inflated night crawlers. We missed 4 other hits between Powerbait and crawlers and gave up just after sunset. *The Rainbow trout were caught no further than 15 feet from shore. *

Cleaned the fish when I got home and discovered I had one male and one female. The male was full of sperm and the female was full of eggs. *Stomachs were full but I was unable to recognize what they were feeding on.

Anyways, I give up on early morning at this lake and figured it's more of an afternoon/evening lake. *Sorry, but no pics this time.

Are you talking about Boca or Rollins? :-?

bigdewy
11-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Mikey, Was that you on the upper end of the lake early in the AM? I was the guy fishing alone. It was one cold SOB! :D

I went down to the dam and spent about four hours for two bites and one rough looking kokanee on a powerbait egg. He hit it as I was reeling in. Trout kept swimming by, but had no interest in anything I put in front of them. :( :'(

iammikey
11-24-2008, 12:12 PM
That was me (with the white SUV). It was cold! My father in-law told me that the fish I have been calling Rainbows are actually Kokanee. I can't tell the difference. These fish did, however fight pretty good.

My kids seem to be lucky. I noticed that the fish bite lightly within the first minute of casting. I think they spook easily as they are close to shore, so we've been casting out at an angle and seldom in front of us.

The fish last week were at least jumping out of the water both morning and evenings. It was a long drive for just the 2 fish, but the memories my kidsl have are priceless.

iammikey
11-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the catch Hooks, I made the correction. I read the Rollins post just before typing away.

FisherForLife
11-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Hey mikey. Next time you try boca, you might wanna stop by a fishing store and buy some 1/32 or 1/16 ounce circle jigheads and some white jig or tube bodies. Put the bodies on the jigheads, cast out, let it sink to the floor, then twitch it into shore while reeling as slow as you can without actually stopping reeling in. This is more of an early morning thing by the way. Later in the evening i'd go for powerbait cast out about 25 feet with about 3 feet of a leader. Good luck in the future.