PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Boca Rainbow?

FisherForLife
11-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey. Got this 24 incher at boca and i was just wondering what it is. Has all the colors of a regular rainbow, the mouth of a salmon, and the power of a marlin. Not only that, but it has to be the skinniest fish i've ever caught. There was like no meat or much of anything else on it. Tasted incredibly awful too. Thanks

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5458/pic023zv0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/pic023zv0.jpg/1/ (http://g.imageshack.us/img241/pic023zv0.jpg/1/)

CountryBoy
11-13-2008, 12:31 AM
man that fish looks like its gone through some hard times! :o looks like a sick Rainbow

realdeal
11-13-2008, 12:47 AM
probably spawned out if the meat was mushy

Darin
11-13-2008, 01:08 AM
That guy has seen some better days. He was probrably happy he was caught, put him out of his misery. Is it gutted in that pic?

fat_fish
11-13-2008, 02:41 AM
my thoughts are brown...but i'm not sold on it yet. the jaw and spots look like a brown to me, but the color is all wrong. wierd fish.

ff

FisherForLife
11-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Nope. In the picture it's still intact. I did bleed it though. But seriously, it was incredibly skinny. To the point where I'm surprised it was still alive. And it's funny because it was really strong and put up a good fight, and there's plenty of food judging by the looks of all the other fish. Who knows. Probably sick i guess. Didn't fight like it was sick though.

kokaneeCommander
11-13-2008, 06:06 AM
Looks like you did your good deed for the day by putting him out of his misery.

SHigSpeed
11-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Man, what a jacked-up looking fish...

Oh, and it's a brown (I was right last time too! :) ).

_SHig

FisherForLife
11-13-2008, 06:35 AM
Actually, i've caught quite a few browns, and i'm completely sure this isn't a brown. It doesn't have a single spot of brown. The colors are a 100% match to a rainbow. But then again, looking at the spots and the mouth, if this was a black and white photo, i'd say its a brown. Is there any chance of maybe a crossbreed? Brown trout with rainbow colors?

red_perception
11-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Some of you need to catch more BROWN TROUT so you will know what they look like when you see one. Rainbows normally have a bright pink gill plate. For those of you that guessed right ;)Take care and Good luck, Eric :)http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/DSC03231.JPG

drstressor
11-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Yep. That's a brown. A very sick one. The head shape and rings around the spots are diagnostic. I've seen them after spawning and they don't look that bad. He is either heavily infested with parasites or has some other disease. Salmonids loose their color when they are highly stressed and turn very dark like that. That one was very close to end of his life when you caught it.

buzzbait
11-13-2008, 07:52 AM
haha. You're hardcore for eating that fish man.

I wouldn't have touched that sucker. I'd have simply cut my line and let him have the lure for keeps and then pretended I never saw it... :-X

OYD
11-13-2008, 08:52 AM
I have caught a number browns out of Boca that are skinney like pickerel at various times of the year (not spawning time) so there may be a genetic anomaly in some of the browns there. All of them were of a typical brown trout coloration and put up a good fight.

GCinGV
11-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Definitely one stressed out Brown. Nice catch though. Reminds me of a boss I once had.
There is a spot on the Feather thatís not listed as a planting site but I understand they use it to dump all the small fish when they clean the tanks out at the hatchery. The spot has a reputation for a lot of big Browns holding there to feed on them but theyíre all really skinny like that one. I suspect because they donít get fed the big meals often.
GC

TroutBum01
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I am 100% sure that you have a spawned out brown. I have caught similar fish in the past around the same time. Check out the scratches on the belly.

foresthill_fishin
11-13-2008, 06:07 PM
That there is a wounded lookin fish .But if it fought like you say then who knows just an ugly ducklin they all cant be perty lol

Joel <((><

Darin
11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
When I see pics of strange or unhealthy fish I send the pics to a very good fish biologist I know. Here is his e-mail response:

"Hello Darin, Glad I was able to spark your interest. The trout in this photo is definitely a brown. I base this assessment largely on the spotting (size and pattern). The other attribute is the large size of it's head and mouth. From the photo, it's hard to pick up where the dorsal fin starts and finishes... kind of strange looking there. This brown is also one of the longer and skinnier browns I've seen. I'm guessing it could be a post-spawn female which would explain her weight. Do you happen to know when it was caught?"

shon42073
11-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Thats a completely spawned out brown trout.

Salmon-Steelhead
11-13-2008, 06:53 PM
definatley a brown.....one nasty brown at that

FisherForLife
11-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Lol thanks guys. Well just one more brown to add to my total i guess, although this one hardly fits in with the others. Every brown i've ever caught has been remarkably large and fat. Maybe because the only place i've ever caught them was at boca...but either way, thanks again. Oh and in response to when it was caught...about a week ago.