PDA

View Full Version : Rock Cod Rig

fresnofshfan
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I have a 7ft Ugly Casting and a cabelas levelwind casting reel with line counter.

Will this work?? I have lead core on it now , what should I reline with?

Any tackle I should pick up ?? Hooks , jigs , leader material? ect???

Thanks for the info in advance....

FFF

toyboat22
06-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Where to begin...

That rod should be fine (I assume its M or MH).

I usually go 20-30lb test, always the chance of hooking something large (ling) and also it helps with abrasion in the rocks. Check your line often.

2-8 oz jigs work well, so do large swimbaits, 5" and over. Basically anything that can get down to the bottom and vertically jig with. Colors are generally light, from white/chrome to green/blue. Firetiger is always a good pattern. Also keep in mind the bigger the bait the bigger the fish.

I think best thing to do is read read read. Learn your species and techniques. Lots of good info on these boards going years back.

Know_Excuses
06-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Where to begin...

That rod should be fine (I assume its M or MH).

I usually go 20-30lb test, always the chance of hooking something large (ling) and also it helps with abrasion in the rocks. Check your line often.

2-8 oz jigs work well, so do large swimbaits, 5" and over. Basically anything that can get down to the bottom and vertically jig with. Colors are generally light, from white/chrome to green/blue. Firetiger is always a good pattern. Also keep in mind the bigger the bait the bigger the fish.

I think best thing to do is read read read. Learn your species and techniques. Lots of good info on these boards going years back.

What he said, and dont be afraid to think outside the box, This year I am using really lite gear for the rockfish, cant wait to see how it works :D

toyboat22
06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I tried some 'light' gear last year, 12lb test medium light rod, it was fun and they fight good. If your using light gear and fishing just for fun make sure your in shallow water (50' or less) so your catch lives another day ;)

Bartender
06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I would also through in some shrimp flies. Last year I did excelent on small white ones with purple krystal flash.

SalmonSucker
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Make sure you go w/ a braided line! 15-30lb test. This will get down to the bottom easier, give you more feedback resulting in better hook ups and less snags.

Then give yourself a 6-10ft top shot of fluro or mono, that will take the abrasion better and once it gets too nicked up you can cut it shorter and eventually re-tie another section. I use P-line Fluroclear which is a "co-polymer". Works great.

fresnofshfan
06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Thnks guys!!
We will be out on a boat in Morro Bay .
I was invited to go on the boat, and since its two days after my bros bday, a present to him.

Ive got a corvalus loaded with 40lb Power Pro on the Ugly right now
17-20lb mono enough for the leader???

Garden Hackle, thanks for the lure tip , thats just the info I need.

FFF

backbrace17
06-10-2009, 09:00 AM
#50lb test leader for both shallow and deep water.
For shallow water (25'-70'), a 20lb rig with a 4 oz diamond bar.
For deep water (120'-240'), a 40lb-50lb rig with a 8oz to 12oz d-bar is preferable.

Good luck,

S_L
06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Then give yourself a 6-10ft top shot of fluro or mono, that will take the abrasion better and once it gets too nicked up you can cut it shorter and eventually re-tie another section. *I use P-line Fluroclear which is a "co-polymer". *Works great.
Thanks for idea, SalmonSucke!!!
I love Fluorclear, and that shock-leader-like piece of mono should work great!!
Thanx again.

SalmonSucker
06-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Then give yourself a 6-10ft top shot of fluro or mono, that will take the abrasion better and once it gets too nicked up you can cut it shorter and eventually re-tie another section. *I use P-line Fluroclear which is a "co-polymer". *Works great.
Thanks for idea, SalmonSucke!!!
I love Fluorclear, and that shock-leader-like piece of mono should work great!!
Thanx again.

No problem. *I love the Flouroclear as well. *Another added bonus is that it will break off before the braid (lower lb test) in the event that you do get stuck. *Good condition braid is tough stuff to break off, usually have to cut it, and then your wasting line.

Just make sure you tie a good knot. I use a uni to uni w/ lots of turns.

minimankin
06-10-2009, 03:11 PM
been out of avila a so far this year and also run a rig similar to what you are. red and yellow shrimp flies tipped with squid was the ticket for the reds and browns. lings were going for the swimbaits mentioned above in pearl/blue and pearl/red. As far as vertical jigs go... white with red/yellow spots was good as was the black and purple. casting some homemade jigs tonight in the eight ounce size to try out this weekend since eight ounces seemed to be the minimum weight in a good drift.

F/V OUTLAW
06-11-2009, 10:37 AM
What kind of swim baits are you using for the Lings? We make our own Ling bars in various patterns and they work very good. Using a swim bait sounds fun.

minimankin
06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Just the big generic 5 or 6 inch paddle tail swimmers. found at fishermans wearhouse... made by something like BIG DADDY or something close to that. not much detail at all just a white belly with a red or blue back.

F/V OUTLAW
06-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Thanks minimankin. I just might have to make a run to grab one of these for tomorrow.

Good luck guys!

GCinGV
06-12-2009, 07:15 AM
If you catch a Ling that pukes up an Octopus up to about 24 long, tie it on and drop it back down. Almost a guarantee of another big Ling. When this happens on my boat no one wants the Ling but we fight over the dead Octo.
GC

F/V OUTLAW
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
On yea, we always try to recycle those :)

HFC
06-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Just my little secret is , i get baby octapus from the asian fish market, i'm going to pick some up in a minute. an old school fisherman told me thats lingcods favorite.Lings will eat everything look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz2A8uSPxKY

F33rNoFish
10-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Revival!!! :)

Just posted my own thread, but it seems there are quite a few knowledgeable folks here...

Planning on a rock cod charter at the end of Oct. Question is...would a 9 1/2 and a 10 medium heavy and heavy rod with a Penn 704z and a Penn 650SSM spinning reels be ok for rod cod fishing?

I don't mind playing the fish if necessary, but I really don't want to rent the charter boat rods and want to use spinning reels.

Any insight?