PDA

View Full Version : Ruth Lake is red hot

GeneO
10-28-2008, 08:45 AM
The Mad River Hatchery raised some nice trout and put them in Ruth Lake this fall. The last load was delivered yesterday and these fish are the largest, (1.5-2.5#ers) I have seen planted in the 8 years I have fished this lake. We caught 10 in 4 hours last week trolling green wedding rings tipped with crawlers behind a uv sling blades from 5-15 ft. deep. It is nice catching something large enough that it fights and just doesn't skim across the surface when reeled in. Several friends have made it out and have had equal success trolling large meal worms behind dodgers. Hope to make it out again Friday. Gene O

tarbuckle
10-28-2008, 09:43 AM
This is also the time of year the holdovers start to appear and get active. I was out last week before the plant and scored two beauties.
My next trip will be our annual Thanksgiving day trip to Ruth Lake. We (friends and Family) soak powerbait from shore and have always done well.

Skyhammer
10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
I have been out to Ruth the last 4 weekends, this last weekend was the best so far. I caught and released over 20 trout from 2-5lbs. I was trolling Rapala X raps with a rooster tail type fly 100' behind the boat at 1.24mph.
Just before dark I tolled a fly with a small split shot 100' behind the boat and did well. I didn't even have to fire up the main motor for most of the fishing.
Also caught some nice bass up to 5lbs trolling Lucky Craft in rainbow pattern on the points at the North end of the lake.

Skyhammer
10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Forgot to add that there were only a dozen or so boats on the water. Only boats from Trinity and Humboldt County are allowed to launch, although nobody was checking.

tarbuckle
10-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Well, I decided to give the steelhead another break this week and head back up to Ruth again. Played it lazy and left the boat at home.
Left Eureka at 6:30 am, get to the lake a little after 8:00. Hooked 3 fish in a 1/2 hour on powerbait. Switched to a kastmaster and caught two more in 5 casts. Back home before noon :o
Two were chunkers ( 3 to 4 lbs) and the other 3 were around 14 inches. Only one was red fleshed.
I'll be eating good tonight :)

panther
10-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the post on Trinity County. I was up in the Coffee Creek / Callahan area for five days last week. I hiked each day into Alpine Lakes and caught a lot of rainbows and brookies. Most of them were small, but they were still a lot of fun. I did catch an 18 inch brown trout using a 48 inch ultra light rod. That was some fun. I'm really a novice with the digital camera, and have no idea how to post a photo...but I'll learn someday and will contribute photo stories from time to time.

Panther

tarbuckle
10-29-2008, 05:49 PM
What lakes did you hit? I got snowed on in October at Russian Lake several years ago.

panther
10-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Tarbuckle,

It was cold this year, but no snow. I hit a lot of Boulder Lakes (regular Boulder, Little Boulder, East Boulder and Upper Boulder). Also Fox Creek, Mavis and Deadfall. There sure are plenty of small lakes out there if a guy doesn't mind walking an hour or two.

Panther

tarbuckle
10-30-2008, 07:34 PM
That's great stuff. Legendary Brook trout in Fox Creek. Never been their but it was always on my to do list.

reelcreative
10-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Don't hear much about Ruth Lake on these boards but I like fishing at the family property. My mom lives in Redway and I'm heading up next weekend to pick up the boat (17' Blue Water I/O). Sounds like I might do well if I head over to Ruth on the way home. Where is a good place to bank it from so I don't have to launch the boat? Can you fish the marina? My mom has a 3 acre parcel across from the Marina which is where I usually fish from, but if I can avoid launching I would prefer that as I have to make it back to Sacto.

tarbuckle
10-31-2008, 09:04 AM
Cross the Dam. Fish off the point on the other side. Throw out some powerbait and you'll nail them. Hot bite is from dawn to 11:00 am. Then things slow down.
With the rain coming I would suggest walking down through the trees to get out on the point. Crossing that gully when it's muddy is almost impossible. FYI It will be a muddy mess down there.
These are the guys I caught a couple of days ago. There fresher then they look because the Dog licked off the scales ;D *He also took off with one of them >:(

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb17/tarbuckle2/Ruth%20Lake%20trips/Picture008-1.jpg?t=1225472239

reelcreative
10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Slip sinker with a 2 ft lead I presume.

I nailed the trout off our dock back in June. The lake was on fire then but the fish were a bit smaller. Powerbait and marshmellow/egg combos were on fire. I had to ask the kids to stop fishing because we had more than we were going to eat. They swallow the hook every time... :(

When Ruth is hot its a great place to fish, and it sounds like the fish are pretty big. I'll have to make a stop and check it out next weekend. I'll post my results.

Thanks for the info.

Skyhammer
10-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Don't hear much about Ruth Lake on these boards but I like fishing at the family property. My mom lives in Redway and I'm heading up next weekend to pick up the boat (17' Blue Water I/O). Sounds like I might do well if I head over to Ruth on the way home. Where is a good place to bank it from so I don't have to launch the boat? Can you fish the marina? My mom has a 3 acre parcel across from the Marina which is where I usually fish from, but if I can avoid launching I would prefer that as I have to make it back to Sacto.

If fishing from the bank I would also try fishing at the launch ramp at Ruth Recreation Area, it is 3 miles past the Marina. You can park within a few feet of the fishing area. The no wake zone is the place to fish.
I did well there last week, although I was trolling, the fish were fairly close to the bank. You could try casting small X-raps/W tails, small minnow imitations(Lucky Craft), or spinners.
Hauling your boat from Redway to Ruth and then on to Red Bluff won't be a lot of fun, although the worst part is just getting to Ruth.
It is 106 miles to Ruth from my place(Miranda), via HW36. You can cut 40 miles off the trip by going over the hill from Garberville, but it is very steep and mostly one lane. If going this route and you have surge brakes on the trailer, lock them out, as the will get very hot.
It takes me 2.5 hours going the HW 36 route.

reelcreative
11-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Skyhammer

I hear ya on that one. We stayed at Ruth for a week in June and that was when all those fires were burning. Went to head back to Sac with the boat only to find out they had 36 closed. I detoured and came out way up the road. It sucks towing a boat on 36, never a straight away longer than a few hundred feet. My 7 yr old loves to fish so I'm bringing her with me, she had a blast at Ruth last time which is why I'm interested in going back just for the fishing.

It's either that or stop at Clear Lake and do a little LMB fishing. I'll probably let the weather dictate which route I go back home.

See ya at the next Raggae on the River... 8-)

The_Talis
11-01-2008, 07:35 AM
3 pounders out of Ruth? Awesome.

GeneO
11-01-2008, 10:47 AM
When I talked to the fellow from Mad River Hatchery when he checked the fish at Alton he said this was the last load of large fish for the year. They planted 3 times last month and he said they put about 1000 fish in a load. Hope to make it back out next week or try crabbing in Humboldt Bay because I'm afraid the mouth of the Eel will be blown out after this storm. GeneO

tarbuckle
11-01-2008, 11:14 AM
3 pounders out of Ruth? *Awesome.

What ? you don't beleive me ? *;D

A little birdie told me you've been slaying the Steelies. I'll be heading out on Tuesday (unless the local rivers open). Hopefully the river will be in prime condition.

GeneO,
I was thinking the same thing about the Mouth being blown out. That was a good soaker last night. Hopefully it was enough (probably not :( ) to open the rivers so I can hit the mouth of the Van Duzen

Ugbomb
11-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Truely awsome. I lived in Fortuna, Ca for 6 years, and I have only been twice. Never caught anything. Thought it was a tiny lake. But I have to say I am thinking of going next summer. I live in the bay area now but my mom still lives there. When I was there about 3 years back I couldnt fish worth crap cause all of the weeds at the bank. So what is the shore technique? Was I in the wrong spot?
:-[ I can't believe I shunned the lake.. Thanks boys.

tarbuckle
11-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Truely awsome. I lived in Fortuna, Ca for 6 years, and I have only been twice. Never caught anything. Thought it was a tiny lake. But I have to say I am thinking of going next summer. I live in the bay area now but my mom still lives there. When I was there about 3 years back I couldnt fish worth crap cause all of the weeds at the bank. So what is the shore technique? Was I in the wrong spot?

I would say wrong time of year. Like most mid elevation lakes, Fall and Spring are your best bets from shore. In the Summer you can still get them but you'll have better odds in a boat. Drop a crawler deep and let the boat drift over a school. When you catch one, motor back up and do it all over again.

The_Talis
11-02-2008, 08:40 AM
I've fished Ruth probably a half dozen times in the five years I've lived in Eureka so I don't know its secrets. We kind of make it a yearly tradition to go camping there in the spring and stay at Hobart Campground on the south end of the lake. Every year is different, but we never get skunked. Typical trout techniques have worked for me: worm with a marshmallow, Powerbait, Kastmasters, etc. Last year we just fished from the campground shoreline and we caught some, mostly on the worm n marshmallow rigged with a 2 foot leader and egg sinker on the bottom. We've also caught fish from the river inlet and Sheriff's Cove (which I heard has actually filled in quite a bit, it's like five feet deep!). If you go early in the year, you won't get many fish but the ones you do get are nice, bright holdover fish in the 12 to 16 inch range. Later in the spring you'll get more fish but they're mostly planters. But when you get tired of the planters, you can always throw on a plastic worm and hit up the bass ::)

Ugbomb
11-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I heard there are catfish too? Anyone try for some wiskers here? :(

The_Talis
11-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I heard there are catfish too? Anyone try for some wiskers here? :(
I have heard there are some monster cats in there, but I've never tried for them. Caught a brown bullhead while fishing for trout once.

Skyhammer
11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Fishing Ruth in the Summer is harder, especially for trout. Not only are they a lot deeper, the boat traffic is heavy with skiers etc.
I use down riggers right across from the Marina in the deep trench and at the dam, where it is also deep.
LMB fishing is pretty good off the points in the Summer, but the wake from all the boats makes it a challenge.I have coundted more than 100 boats and jet skies at once on the 1200 acres. The lake is long a fairly narrow so the wakes rarely dissipate before crashing on shore.
I know that there are White Catfish in Ruth. I have never fished for them, but I have have friends who live there and target them all the time. From what I understand, the White Catfish is a member of the Bull head group of Catfish and the U.S. record is something like 18lbs.
My friends call them Bull Heads or Forked Tail Catfish.

Ugbomb
11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
What does he use? :D

Bakkie
11-07-2008, 12:57 AM
While up deer hunting, my cousin and 3 buddies caught 20 trout at the ramp across the street from journeys end. They were throwing spinners right after the plant. They actually followed the planting truck there. I went down about an hour later and there were already people fishing there, so I went to Ruth Rec for 1 trout and 2 bluegill. Didn't bring the boat, 'cause we we're mainly up there to hunt, but I'm sure trolling would be killer.

Bakkie
11-07-2008, 01:02 AM
I've fished Ruth probably a half dozen times in the five years I've lived in Eureka so I don't know its secrets. *We kind of make it a yearly tradition to go camping there in the spring and stay at Hobart Campground on the south end of the lake. *Every year is different, but we never get skunked. *Typical trout techniques have worked for me: worm with a marshmallow, Powerbait, Kastmasters, etc. *Last year we just fished from the campground shoreline and we caught some, mostly on the worm n marshmallow rigged with a 2 foot leader and egg sinker on the bottom. *We've also caught fish from the river inlet and Sheriff's Cove (which I heard has actually filled in quite a bit, it's like five feet deep!). *If you go early in the year, you won't get many fish but the ones you do get are nice, bright holdover fish in the 12 to 16 inch range. *Later in the spring you'll get more fish but they're mostly planters. *But when you get tired of the planters, you can always throw on a plastic worm and hit up the bass ::) *

My family owns a lease lot right across the street from there, on Hobart Creek road. We're up there a lot in the summer, and almost every weekend during deer season. Maybe I'll see you sometime.

BIGSAC7
11-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Ruth Lake has been a favorite of ours for our annual fall fishing trip. There are always plenty of fish to be caught in the narrows by the boat ramp in the middle of the lake. On the north end of the five mph zone there always seems to be a lot of fish.

I have had great success from both the shore and from boats. I too find it hard to believe that they are catching fish in the 2.5 to 3 lb range, but it sounds about right that the one year we change up our fishing trip to try something else, the fish are bigger.

12 pound lead core at about two and half colors with an orange spoon is always a winner while trolling. In the past we also had a great amount of success in the cove on the west side of the lake.

From the shore bait fishing as well as small lures are also a good bet!

I am glad to see Ruth Lake make it on the board. It can be a gem in the fall! The road in from I-5 is the only drawback to this lake!

reelcreative
11-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Well, I'm heading up to Redway on Sunday to visit my Mom for a few days. Still thinking about hitting up Ruth on Monday to see if the trout are still hot. Can anyone let me know if the fishing is still on so that I can justify the trip over 36 with my daughter (who loves to fish). She caught so many Bluegill off the marina dock last time I had to pick her up and literally put her in the boat to go back to our lease lot across the lake.

Skyhammer
11-07-2008, 04:06 PM
I haven't been over there since the we got all the rain(7"), but water temp. should have lowered some and improved the trout fishing, at least that is what I hope.
I may try to go over next week sometime, but the Kings are in the Eel and if it doesn't rain to much tomorrow and muddy up the river, I will fish near home. it is hard to make the long trip to Ruth, when Kings and Steelhead are 10 minutes away.

reelcreative
11-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Skyhammer

Where is the closest decent fishing on the Eel from Redway? I've never had much luck finding any good fishing near there. The river seems soooo low around that area.

I'm out the door so I should be in Redway by 5pm or so. I'll check the boards once I get settled in, hopefully you can throw me a hint so I can fish closer to my Moms than Ruth (and avoid 36).

Thanks

ricky66
11-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I have a cabin on lower mad river rd, so ruth is my home lake. we have slayed them as well the last few weekends at sheriffs cove using power eggs. the largest we caught was over 2 pounds. we also caught quite a few jigging power eggs tied off to the boom at the dam in our boat. headed up tomorrow for a week and i hope the fishing stays hot.

Skyhammer
11-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Skyhammer

Where is the closest decent fishing on the Eel from Redway? I've never had much luck finding any good fishing near there. The river seems soooo low around that area.

I'm out the door so I should be in Redway by 5pm or so. I'll check the boards once I get settled in, hopefully you can throw me a hint so I can fish closer to my Moms than Ruth (and avoid 36).

Thanks

I would try the Redway beach hole. You take the road that goes to Briceland, it is only a mile or less from Redway grocery store. Turn right just before you get to to the bridge. You can park just above the beach at the Redway hole.
You can also walk up river a 100 yards or so to a great hole, you can see it from the bridge and may be able walk down from the road that goes along the river. A lot of private property there, so walking up from the Redway hole may be the better, although more difficult route.
One of my favorite holes is right across from Raven Cliffs. If the river is low enough and it probably is, you walk across the river at the bottom of the Redway hole. There is a series of holes for about a 1/2 mile. These are deep Salmon holes, I usually fish the top of holes until it gets to deep for my plugs. some of my largest Steelhead and Salmon have come from these holes,especially the top part as it leaves the Redway hole.
I forgot to mention these holes when I posted on the Salmon/Steelhead board.
You are right about the water being low and clear, it is at 400cfs now. That is why I will try to fish the Main Eel as soon as I as I can, it is at 2000cfs. We need more rain so we can get some green water.
Oh, besides bait(which I don't use), try to cast and retrieve Brads/ warts. Cast downstream and try to wade out enough so that you can get the right angle in the current and retrieve upstream. Kings will chase the plugs out of the seam and hit in slow water. Go slow on the retrieve and jerk the tip a little as in Bass fishing.
Hope this helps.

Skyhammer
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Another hole to try is just upstream from the bridge mentioned above. Not sure how a banker can get there, but I usually see bankers fishing it when I am in my boat. It is just above the old egg stripping station, you will know when you see it as it is a bunch of concrete blocks.
The picture shows the hole I am talking about, you can see the bridge in the background. Below the Bridge is the upper Redway beach hole mentioned above.
The Steelhead in the picture was caught last Dec. by my friend in my boat.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/skyhammer/Charlie-Redway2wfs.jpg

reelcreative
11-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey, thanks for the great info. What color brads or warts are you having luck with? I guess your throwing deeper diving plugs to get down in these holes?

You guys hitting the river at first light?

Skyhammer
11-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Won't be going until Tuesday when my lady friend has a day off from school.
When it comes to plug colors, everyone has there favorites. I have nearly every color made, but I mainly use 4 colors.
I almost always have at least one plug we call the purple speck(Brads color #13) this is my go to Steelhead plug, works for Salmon to in the mag. size.
Gold bill/red herringbone is my second favorite for Steelhead(Brads color #23) this is good for Salmon also. Silver bill/blue herringbone(Brads color#38) Always have on for Salmon and work very well for Steelhead. Blue Pirate(Brads #09) is also on top of my list.
I really like the colors and action of Wordens Fatfish, but the small size( a little bigger than a 3/8 oz brads wiggler), will not work backtrolling in medium and fast water, it pops to the surface. The mag size fatfish backtrolls very well in all water conditions, but is much larger than the 3/4 brads mag, it is larger than most Steelhead mouths.