PDA

View Full Version : Hat Creek advice?

bclay52
10-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm brand new to trout fishing. Drove through the Burney area last weekend and got the fever to try it out. Don't have any fly gear yet but was thinking of trying Upper Hat with light spincast and...?

Have 6lb black FireLine on my spincast - very small diameter but would it be better to switch to clear mono?

What kind of lures \ bait would you recommend?

Any advice appreciated.. anything I catch will be going back so it will be there for you next time. ;)

Havn't studied the current Regs in detail yet but certainly will.

Cheers
Billy

The_Big_Sinus
10-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I use 1/8 oz. black jigs with the barb filed off- below Baum Lake, basically, it's 14" or 18" minimum to keep. Most fish it with flies- I'll take my black marabous anyday... I've never actually kept any fish out of there, BTW. Baum Lake is also good, and open year-round.

Darin
10-30-2008, 07:59 PM
I useally fish the Cassel area and do great on flys. But My buddies useally use spinning gear and do good as well. Use crappie jigs and you won't be dissapointed. Here is a map of Cassel and the surrounding area..Good Luck.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6931/casselrdtd7.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6588/casslecampgroundhatcreecd6.jpg

Prowler
10-30-2008, 08:29 PM
That ditch is LOADED with trout. Baum Lake is just down the road, too :D

The_Talis
11-01-2008, 07:42 AM
I fished Hat for the first time last year in September, and it was a slaughter. Size 4 Panther Martin, gold blade/black body, accounted for most of the fish, but I also caught plenty on a 1/8 ounce gold Kastmaster. Fished from Old Station downstream. DFG stocks the heck out of that area so there's a lot of fish.

bclay52
11-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I fished Hat for the first time last year in September, and it was a slaughter. *Size 4 Panther Martin, gold blade/black body, accounted for most of the fish, but I also caught plenty on a 1/8 ounce gold Kastmaster. *Fished from Old Station downstream. *DFG stocks the heck out of that area so there's a lot of fish.

The whole section down stream from Old Station - are there trails that follow the stream you can hike easily? That upper section is like 10 miles..? It looked rather rugged from the highway.

Thanks all for the advice :)

Prowler
11-02-2008, 10:35 AM
There is a huge trail that connects the campgrounds on the middle section.
I like the section between Rocky and Bridge campgrounds. There are some huge 3-4-5 pound Brookies and 'bows in that stretch. I have had success with a bead-headed crystal buggers or fishing on top with caddis or stoneflies. Worms and salmon eggs fished deep also works well. :)Don't forget that the creeks close in 2 weeks.

The_Talis
11-02-2008, 02:00 PM
There is a huge trail that connects the campgrounds on the middle section.
I like the section between Rocky and Bridge campgrounds. There are some huge 3-4-5 pound Brookies and 'bows in that stretch. I have had success with a bead-headed crystal buggers or fishing on top with caddis or stoneflies. Worms and salmon eggs fished deep also works well. :)Don't forget that the creeks close in 2 weeks.
Yup, there's a real nice trail that goes along the creek there, with little openings in the brush that lead to the better holes. If there's no opening in the brush, then chances are it's not a good spot.

You're right about the big brookies DFG throws in there. Last year I got a 20.5 incher just below the Highway 44 road crossing at the little picnic area downstream of Bridge Campground ;D