PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for trout?

Klamdog
10-31-2008, 04:37 PM
I haven't trolled much for trout. *I've done alot of baitfishing, and casting lures in various lakes, but would like to start trolling a little more (no downriggers)! *My question: *Braid, or Mono when trolling for Trout? *Also, any suggestions for # test/brand would be helpful as well. *Thanks for any input! *

Trout Tracker
10-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Klamdog.
When the water is cold and the fish are on top, i top line with 8lb floacarbon.I also have two other trolling rods that i have leadecore line on.
1 has 12lb leadcore with 15ft of 8lb floracarbon leader.
The 2nd rod has 18lb leadcore with 30ft of 8lb floracarbon leader.
Both have okuma levelwind line counters.
I don't know if this will help.
TT

steveo79
10-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Check out the lakes you are likely to fish, here on the sniffer message boards. You can get a handle on what is working. When I started trolling, I just used my old spinning rod and reel. I liked trolling, and have slowly picked up tackle as I needed it. I started out with a set of Seps Colorado blade flashers, silver with the red beads. I used night crawlers back about 18-24 inches. I caught a lot of fish, but have switched to using smaller dodgers, so I can feel more of the fight while playing the fish.
As far as speed, I would drop the lures in the water, and watch it while I got the speed right. You will see the rod tip bounce in rhythm when its good.
Lots of lure options, everybody has their favorites. One thing I learned that was really important, were good quality hooks. I like the Gamakatsu lite wire worm hooks. I don't miss many fish with them, they are needle sharp, and the crawlers thread on nice, and run straight.

Jetspray
11-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Don't forget sauces and scents to attract. The gels are very good to smear on for best effects.....Jetspray

doublestrike
11-02-2008, 04:26 AM
Since '06 when I got back to fishing seriously, almost every weekend, summer, winter, rain , shine, snow etc, I have gained some knowledge and done some strange things. *I now use 20 lb Power Pro, on a Pflueger Purist baitcaster, mounted on a Vance's Spiral wrap 7' rod. *I attach my flashers or dodger directly to the P/P line via a ball bearing swivel, then my lure and or homade made wedding ring, with 14" of 6# leader to the hook. *We sometimes troll powerbait, some times Berkley "Gulp Nightcrewlers", or portions ther of, on #14 treble hooks. *I have fished all of the lakes in Southwest Oregon and have always caught fish. *I know the line screams over kill, but I don't have to jerk the line to set the hook anymore, just a gentle lifting of my rod tip, then start reeling. *I have my drag set so that even a 12 inch planter will take line now and then. *I have come home with jaw muscles that ache from all the laughing and a limit of fish to boot.
My motto is, If it ain't fun: Don't do it!

Use what you want of my info, and if you think I am crazy, then That is fun too.

Good luck

Jetspray
11-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Doublestrike it sounds like a good setup to me. I used flashers alot for top lining when I had a 14ft aluminum. Still have them but mostly use DR's, still use wedding ring setups as well.....Jetspray

billfisher
11-02-2008, 12:57 PM
doublestrike - As long as you use reels that will hold a sufficient amount of 20 lb line there is nothing that sounds crazy about your setup.

Now trolling with Powerbait .... * :o ;D *I know it works for folks, but I just am not a fan of the stuff.