PDA

View Full Version : Cripplure, SuperDuper, Lil Jake

buzzbait
10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
A friend I was fishing with last weekend was killin' the Bows on a Cripplure so I went out to find one and could not. Instead I found the SuperDuper and the Lil Jake. Does anyone have thoughts about these three lures one way or the other?

Any other "U" shaped lures I should try out? ;)

stonesfan
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
When Trolling for Trout, I always run a Cripplelure as a second
lure. It has been good to me, have even hooked a few Kokanee
with it. Favorite color Blue and Chrome, but don't forget to also
try other colors as well. Early in the season seem to work best.

Good Luck

Stones [smiley=rollingstones.gif]Fan

dinos marine
10-29-2008, 04:20 PM
ive seen them at a fishing shop in oakland. hit and miss at walmart.

Oxbow
10-29-2008, 04:26 PM
shastatackle.com

Gary will be glad to sell you some, they work.

panther
10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I cast or top line troll using a variety of lures. My preferences are Kastmasters, Panther Martins and Little Cleos. I'm not a big fan of the Super Dupers. They have a "light" feel, and it's tough to impart the action that I want with them. Don't know about the Lil Jake. I'm kind of curious about them. They look like they may be good in medium sized streams. I do like the Jake's Spin-a-Lure. One of its advantages is that you can cast it "a country mile"...kind of like a Kastmaster.

When you buy a Cripplure, the instructions say to put a barrel swivel about 16 inches up the line to avoid line twist. How do they work if you cast or troll them with no swivel? Just curious.

Panther

kokemachine83
10-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Panther: I have used the cripplure for many years. I put a good barrel swivel about 4' above the lure. Just tie the lure directly to the leader. Use no snaps. This would be trolling. I have not used it casting. The first time i tried it without a swivel, boy did i have a mess. The main line looked like a slinky. So i would suggest using a swivel. Speed is everything with this lure. You want it to go back and forth and spin a little bit. Blue/Silver and Red/Gold are my favorite. Good luck.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

TroutWagon
10-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Robbie is right ,

Run all that shasta tackle with a trolling bead swivel or barrel swivel and that 4" leader like he said. Also, Kastmasters and RMT UV serpant spoons, I used them at shasta and got the second biggest fish of the weekend on the orange uv spoon, run them as you would a crippler. At those higher speeds the lures really spin and twist around alot. Good luck

TW

Jonezin2fish
10-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I've used the Cripplure trolling for many years. In fact I caught a good sized bow with one last weekend at Pardee in gold with orange tape. I've also had luck with blue, chrome and scale pattern as well. The barrel swivel is a must.

gbslade
10-30-2008, 06:55 AM
My wife is a die hard Super Duper fisherperson. I am a fly fisherman; she is not. She always out fishes me with her Super Dupers. We fish mainly Sierra moving waters, but she's always done well on lakes from shore or float tube.

FishFiend916
10-30-2008, 07:11 AM
I personally never have caught a fish on a super duper, but my dad swears by em' and I've seen him kill rainbows and browns on them at Ice House and UVR just casting from shore using a snap swivel on the end.

buzzbait
10-30-2008, 07:13 AM
When you buy a Cripplure, the instructions say to put a barrel swivel about 16 inches up the line to avoid line twist. How do they work if you cast or troll them with no swivel? Just curious.

Panther

The Lil Jake also requires a swivel to avoid line twist. The SupersDupers dont' say anything about it and they actually come with a little snap pre installed.

All I know is that line twist is a huge pain. If you have twisted line eventually one of your casts is going to end up in a big rats nest.

judge whoppner
10-30-2008, 09:00 AM
The Cripplure is my first choice for trolling when I'm not using minnow/fish patterns, followed closely by the Kastmaster. Red tape on bronze pattern is great. Never had any line twist issues when trolling.

Judge.

GCinGV
10-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Crip Lures, Jakes and Super Dupers are my three favorite Heenan lures.
The Crip Lures seem to work particularly well in all of the east side lakes. I have a buddy that wont use anything but; itís a big deal when he changes color. Because the Crip has a closed end they donít scoop weeds as bad as the Super Duper or Jakeís. They also run a bit shallower. Great lure, I wish they had a better finish though.
Anyone know where you can get Jakes in the Sac area? The closest place I know of is Cabelaís in Reno.
I have never had line twist problems with them either except when using a spinning reel.
GC

fishpeddler1
11-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I've seen some at Sportsman's Warehouse and I think at Elkhorn bait.

ratss427
11-01-2008, 10:08 PM
cripplures are great lures.and shasta isn't the only lake they work at!fisherman's warehouse,phil's propellers or shasta tackle itself are all places they can be bought. ;)