PDA

View Full Version : Bass Lake

J_W
10-26-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm heading up to Bass Lake this weekend (Oct 31-Nov3). I've been going for the last 8 years with my girl's family who have been going for the last 24-some-odd years. Usually we go on Veteran's Day weekend, this year we're going a couple weeks earlier.

We've had pretty good success top-lining or trolling a few colors of lead-core with neadlefish or rapalas and other lures from my boat for rainbows. Just wondering what suggestions people might have for this lake.

They always shore fished with not much success untill I started bringing my boat up there. So I'm their hero now! Ha ha, just kidding. Just wondering what other suggestions you guys might have to mix things up a bit. I'm far from an expert but have had decent success on this lake. My dad's going for the first time this year too and doesn't get to fish much anymore so I want to make sure he has a good time and catches some fish. By the way we catch and release all but one meals worth of rainbows at this beautiful lake.

JW

kgphotos@pacbell.n
10-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I have always had a great time fishing flies from my float tube near the dam. Bass is a great lake for me in the winter. I have had a lot of success with olive Woolley Buggers on an intermediate sink line. The fish that I keep for dinner have always had stomachs full of small black chironomid pupa so I want to try some chironomid pupa patterns this winter. I will be interested to hear how you do.

J_W
10-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey thanks for the response kgphotos. No responses on three different boards for Bass Lake. I was beginning to think I should stick to the striper and salmon board where I'm more welcome, just kidding. I'm sure not too many people fish this lake especially in the Fall for trout before they even start planting and the kokanee fishing is usually over with I think.

I'm not much of a fly guy, neither are the old timers I'll be fishing with (lure/bait guys). I was thinking of bringing a few flies that I usually just toss around with light spinning gear. Thanks for the heads up.

As I mentioned we usually do good top-lining to 15 feet down this time of year while trolling. It's so peacefull to drop the electric trolling motor and have the whole lake to ourselves this time of year. Throw in a few holdover rainbows and we're usually very happy! I will post my report when I return. Hope it doesn't rain too much even though we need it.

JW

fresnofshfan
10-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I have done good trolling a dodger/crawler topline.
Small seps sidekick or dodger and a 12-18'' leader then bait hook.
I got a bass in front of the sherriff tower on that rig too.

Take some pics!!

FFF

BuckSnort
10-28-2008, 08:20 PM
I left you a reply in the bass section....

FresnoJack
10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Bass Lake
**Bass **Trout **Kokanee

Todd Wittwer said the kokanee bite is over for the year, although a few anglers continue to try for fish. Merritt Gilbert and Buck Deaner reported a major slowdown in the trout bite. Bass anglers are drop-shotting in the holes in the weed growth at depths from 15 to 60 feet for spots to 1.5 pounds. The swimbait bite should improve in the next couple of weeks as the water continues to cool. The lake is dropping and is at 57% capacity.

http://www.fresnobee.com/372/index.html

J_W
10-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Kokanee is over for the year, trout bite has died down, and the bass still hasn't picked up yet! Maybe I should try water skiing ;D. Oh well, we'll still give em hell. I'm up for the challenge. Thanks for the replys.

JW

Darin
10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I have done good trolling a dodger/crawler topline.
Small seps sidekick or dodger and a 12-18'' leader then bait hook.
I got a bass in front of the sherriff tower on that rig too.

Take some pics!!

FFF

I havent fished bass lake for years but me my brother and dad use to do the dodger crawler combo as well. We didn't have down riggers so we would use planeing boards to get down deeper. It was always a great time and always had good success. My Dad's biggest trout came from that lake in 1994. I will never forget that day. Take some pics if you can and good luck.