PDA

View Full Version : kastmasters for trout?

UltraFace
10-23-2008, 11:58 PM
i am much more of a bait type of guy and have virtually no experience with lures. what is a good way to rig up a kastmater for trout from the bank?

bassmanben
10-24-2008, 12:07 AM
i use a simple snap (not a snap swivel, just a snap) and cast it out there, let it sink a few seconds and retrieve. you can also tie on directly but I like to change colors once in a while.

make sure you use a swivel if you are planning to throw a spinner though.

buzzbait
10-24-2008, 07:08 AM
I love the Kastmaster, but to tell you the truth my personal experience with it has yielded zero trout. I've got many Coho and several Spotted Bass, but no trout.

You'd probably be better off throwing a Panther Martin....if you think they're eating gold or silver you can get a PM in those colors.

If you do decide to throw the Kastmaster you can just tie it on directly to your line, but be concious of the fact that smaller fish most likely won't be interested and that your hookups may be few and far between (but hopefully when it does happen they'll be biggies!!).

*side note - I don't really know what I'm talking about. :-X

CHICKFISHING58
10-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Kastmasters work well from shore at Pyramid I just hook it to a ball bearing swivel and cast it out. I have also used it for trolling but I get better hits from shore :)

Captain Compassion
10-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Over 90% of my fishing is with lures from the bank. For fishing in lakes the 1/4 oz Kastmaster is my #1 lure. I tie the line directly to the ring eye, no swivel or snaps. It is my opinion that they mess up the action of the lure. If you must use a snap use the finest wire snap you can find. Never use a steady retrieve. Speed it up and slow it down. twitch the rod tip to give it extra action. Fish it shallow or deep by varying the count down after it is cast. Good luck on the water.

CC

Old_School
10-24-2008, 07:29 AM
I've caught many trout on them. Of course they do not always work, but I have also caught fish on them when nothing else worked. As the Capt said retrieval technique is key. Until I started trolling more they were also one of my go to s.

Old School

diamond2x
10-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I have used Kastmasters for trout for many years. I use a snap swivel and a bead above it to stop the swivel from possibly breaking the plastic insert on the top eyelet. In the high sierra's I use almost any color, I prefer silver and orange or gold and on cloudy days silver and blue. Also, when retrieving I like to every few seconds give a little jerk (like when you set a hook) to give the appearance of a wounded bait fish. Try different retrieve speeds, most of the time slower is better. When letting it sink off the cast, count the seconds. When you get a bite, remember the seconds. This will give you the approximate foot level the fish are at. Usually an 1/8 oz will fall 1 foot per second, 1/4 oz. 2 feet per second. This time of the year, they should be deep. Sometimes just by changing the angle of your retrieve it will make a difference on presentation to the fish.

Good luck and good fishing!!!

Captain Compassion
10-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Chick hit it when she said that the Kastmaster is not a good trolling lure. When it is kept at a constant speed it is only so-so. Other stuff such as a PM or Thomas spoon is better. Think of a Kastmaster as a jig. A steady retrieve is not so cool. A jig works by varying the retrieve with speed changes, stops and starts and rod twitches. So does the Kastmaster. Another advantage is it casts like a bullet.

CC

buzzbait
10-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Well, I'm not even close to an expert troller, but my best day last year on the O trolling Coho was with a Gold Kastmaster.

Speaking of jigging with it, the first fish was taken before I even started trolling. Just casted it out and tied on to the realease....messing wth other stuff and my rod started bouncing. Me walking on the boat was causing it to rock, which in turn caused the lure to "jig".

Picked up another 4 fish in about 2-3 hrs.

Anoter way I like to troll the Kastmaster is behind a deep diving crank bait with the rear trebble removed and replace with a snap swivel and leader before the KM. It works for Coho and Bass and it's great because you need not be equipped with DRs.

keviwa
10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Color can be key. Make sure to have a selection with you. I always carry 1/4oz. Silver/blue, solid Gold, Copper, and gold with trout pattern. As the weather(sunny or overcast) or time of day changes, so too will the effectiveness of one color over the others.

billfisher
10-24-2008, 10:29 AM
"the Kastmaster is not a good trolling lure"

All of the trout I have caught trolling Kastmasters over the years probably agree, keep those darn things out of the water. :)

But anything trolled at a constant speed is not going to be as good as something that is trolled at varying speeds with turns and zigzags, etc. With an electric trolling motor it is very easy and wise to change speeds a lot. Kastmasters and other casting lures (spoons, Z-Rays, etc.) have been excellant trolling lures for me for many years. However, I do agree that they are probably even more useful from the shore because you can reach a lot of water with them and cover a lot of water by moving along the shoreline.

Captain Compassion
10-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Certainly wouldn't put a KM in the same class as a Needlefish, Flatfish or Apex for trolling with a down rigger. To the extent that you can very the speed of the lure and make it jump while trolling it becomes more or less effective. Never tried it with a dodger. Using leadcore would be better because the lure could be worked by rod manipulation. A good % of the hits I get with the KM are when the retrieve is stopped.

CC

seasquirt
10-24-2008, 11:32 AM
When learning how to fish (as a kid) the Kastmaster was my primary go to lure & I caught many, many trout on it. *As my fishing skills improved, so did my understanding of the lure itself. *As far as the lures name, it speaks for itself, it is one of the best (if not THE best) lures for distance, hence "Kastmaster". *So if you want to get a lure out there, it is the one. *It is also one of the best lures for not getting itself fouled up on/with the line during the cast, stays pretty clean compared to others.

Since you're not a "lure" guy the primary difference of a Kastmaster is it is classified as a "spoon", the other lures are primarily "spinners" , which is self explanatory. *Meaning the spoon gets it's action (when at constant retrieve or trolling), or it's primary action from the shape of the lure as it moves through the water. *When used in casting & retrieving quite a bit of action can be imparted by the fisherman, which is probably when most strikes occur.

When I started to troll the kastmaster took a substantial number of fish (trout), probably because most of the time I had one working on my 2 -4 lines I had out at the time, and of course if you are consistently working a lure you will catch fish, maybe not as many as you would with another lure, but the Kastmaster produced sufficiently. *

In years of trolling and experiencing most types of lures, spinners, plugs, plastics, nightcrawlers & blades, the Kastmaster holds it's own as being a fine lure with all the others in my tackle box.....

billfisher
10-24-2008, 11:55 AM
In years of trolling and experiencing most types of lures, spinners, plugs, plastics, nightcrawlers & blades, the Kastmaster holds it's own as being a fine lure with all the others in my tackle box.....

Well said. This is my experience as well, but I have never tried using one behind a downrigger due to the fact that you cannot work it to its best efect IMO. One advantage to casting lures as trolling lures is that they are heavy by design and will go pretty deep without adding weight. Others on the boards have talked about using them as weights to troll flies, etc., trailing behind them and some even do this from shore. Flash, action, weight ... its all good.

STRIPER_STEVE
10-24-2008, 12:44 PM
THE Kastmaster... [smiley=yahoo.gif] THis is a lure that you MUST keep in your box when targeting Trout. I fish the bay area lakes ( DV Shadow Cliffs Chabot etc) This is the most productive lure I have thrown or trolled. Most lures will catch fish but it has alot to do with having faith in your lure selection. Think of it this way...... You tie on a lure you have no confidence in and you probably wont pay as much attention or cast it as many times before changing it. Resulting in less strikes and fish. IF you have faith in a lure you will be focused on working that lure the feel of the lure and probably going to toss it out there a few more times. Resulting in more fish. ;D My 2 cents....... I have caught all my biggest trout on Kastmasters trolled and plugging with no swivels. They will twist the heck out of your line. You can try this in a boat, Take off the lure and let line out slowly behind the boat and go slow. this will remove the twist in your line. give it a few minutes and you are back in action.

UltraFace
10-24-2008, 05:28 PM
wow, thx everyone for your informative responses. i was neglected as a child my father never taught me a thing about fishing...he doesn't even fish...nothing less then criminal negligence if you ask me

rpwlaw11
10-24-2008, 09:06 PM
UltraFace= Get them Kastmasters, they just catch trout like crazy. Most of the time, they will catch more trout than the other lures in your box. Just take the time to learn what method works best for you. One thing for certain, always vary your speed with the lure if possible. 1/4 ounce is best for lakes most of the time. Gold, silver, rainbow, and cutthroat patterns are consistent producers. Also the frog pattern.

When you cast and let it sink. There will be a certain tension you feel. If you feel that tension, you're working that lure very effectively and will get bit. At times they like erratic action from the lures. The so called jerk, and retrive style. Do experiment, trout will change their mode often. But the main key, is feel that tension. Your rod tip will vibrate and you'll know it. As far as trolling. I like them for trolling and have caught numerous fish while trolling Kastmasters. Another thing, don't use heavy line. I use 4 pound test, but I wouldn't go heavier than 8 pound test for trout. Used correctly, that 4 pound test will land fish in the teens easily. Good luck with them, and definitely give 'em a try. They're worth it.

fat_fish
10-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Over 90% of my fishing is with lures from the bank. For fishing in lakes the 1/4 oz Kastmaster is my #1 lure. I tie the line directly to the ring eye, no swivel or snaps. It is my opinion that they mess up the action of the lure. If you must use a snap use the finest wire snap you can find. Never use a steady retrieve. Speed it up and slow it down. twitch the rod tip to give it extra action. Fish it shallow or deep by varying the count down after it is cast. Good luck on the water.

CC

i agree fully...as i've taught myself the same methods. *cap.- thats funny, as i would have explained my km retrieval in almost the same words. *i remember asking you how you retrieve yours to affirm my method...lol.

ff

EastBayJ
10-25-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm a beginner and I tried lure fishing last weekend for the first time with an 1/8th ounce kastmaster and found it incredibly easy to use and I caught my first trout of the season with it. ;D Needless to say, I'll being using it again.

So...You guys recommend using a 1/4ounce??? For rainbows??? Sweet! I can cast that twice as far!

HBFishin
10-25-2008, 12:38 PM
If you asked the old question, if you had to bring only one lure what would it be... without a doubt, specially from shore, it is the Kastmaster. Not only can you cast it a mile so that you can get to more terrain, but it just catches fish more than anything else in my tackle box. .

tarbuckle
10-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm a beginner and I tried lure fishing last weekend for the first time with an 1/8th ounce kastmaster and found it incredibly easy to use and I caught my first trout of the season with it. ;D Needless to say, I'll being using it again.

So...You guys recommend using a 1/4ounce??? For rainbows??? Sweet! I can cast that twice as far!

Those 1/8th ounce kastmasters are great lures to bring along on Backpacking trips. They work very well in high Mountain lakes.

SHigSpeed
10-25-2008, 03:29 PM
My personal favorite casting spoon is a size 0 needlefish. Get enough distance to do damage using 2 lb and a UL rod. Jigs and flutters just as well, but you can do it much slower. Not as good for deep water or if you're impatient though! :)

I'll definitely be taking some kastmasters and a noodle or UL steelhead casting rod to Heenan next year for when the "skunk flies" are out.

_SHig

fishwish
10-25-2008, 06:20 PM
After reading about this method here, I recommended to a friend to tie a fly behind a KM. Last week, after work, he went to the west shore of lake tahoe near homewood. He tied a hare's ear nymph behind a 1/4 oz silver and blue KM and nailed a 17" slab rainbow first cast. Fish took the nymph.

SHigSpeed
10-25-2008, 07:05 PM
After reading about this method here, I recommended to a friend to tie a fly behind a KM. Last week, after work, he went to the west shore of lake tahoe near homewood. He tied a hare's ear nymph behind a 1/4 oz silver and blue KM and nailed a 17" slab rainbow first cast. Fish took the nymph.

Yup, I've chucked buggers behind needlefish with great results! :)

_SHig

Weez
10-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Guy I know wrote this in an article on this site last spring. By the way, I went to Caples 'puddle' the other day, and threw Kastmaster, Krokodile and Cyclops spoons without a bite. Switched to Rapala Countdowns, which also cast like bullets, and caught 2 mackinaw to 22 inches. Just shows it pays to have a 2 or 3 trick pony.

Kastmaster: The name says it all! This aerodynamic slab of a spoon is effective for trolling and even vertical jigging, but it truly shines for anglers stalking the shorelines of high sierra trout lakes. With a full spool of six-pound monofilament on a long spinning rod, a ¼-ounce Kastmaster will cover the proverbial country mile. This lure comes in a variety of colors; my favorite is rainbow trout, but gold, silver/blue and silver/orange are also quite productive.

One way to fish the Kastmaster is to huck it out into deep water and pause, letting it sink like a Countdown before starting your retrieve. In fact, you can seine the water column this way, starting your retrieve as soon as the spoon splashes down on the first cast, then waiting five seconds on your next toss, then ten seconds and so on. Eventually your Kastmaster will touch bottom, and if it hangs up and you break it off, it’s good to be able to say “Bottom, twenty-seven seconds”, then make sure you only count to twenty-three or so when you tie on a new Kastmaster and make your next cast. Casting this way straight out into the lake can dredge up bottom-dwelling trout or nail shallow fish suspending over deep water, but casting diagonally or nearly parallel to the shoreline is sometimes even better. With the amazing distance possible on each throw, you can work the lure through the shallows for so long that your retrieve approximates what a troller can do from a boat. And wherever you choose to toss your Kastmaster, if a steady retrieve is not working, try a stop-and-go cadence. A rapid, sideways sweep of the rod, causing the lure to surge forward, followed by several turns of the reel handle to take up slack as you turn the rod tip back toward your spoon can trigger vicious strikes. And although I’m extolling the virtues of the long cast, keep working that Kastmaster right until you see it in the water in front of you. Trout will often follow the lure in and hit nearly at your feet!

Last summer I hiked four miles to Round Lake, near Luther Pass south of Lake Tahoe, to find the wind so strong that my Panther Martin spinners and Pheobe spoons were thrown off course and nearly blown back in my face. So I switched to my trusty Kasty, and sliced through the wind to hook nearly twenty beautiful Lahontan cutthroat trout. In October, I drove to Caples Lake for an early morning trolling adventure, only to find that I had forgotten the gas tank for my five-horse outboard motor! I thought about just going home in defeat, but then decided to tie on a Kastmaster and toss it a few times from the shoreline at the base of the dam. On my second cast I hooked up, and over the next hour caught six fish: two browns, three brookies, and a twenty-one inch mackinaw. Not bad for a backup plan!

PapaGreg
10-25-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't get on here a lot, but I'll tell you this, if you can't catch fish with a kastmaster, you're not going to catch fish!

The circumstances are going to dictate what you use, ie: wind, snow, etc, but from a personal experience, NOTHING is going to catch more fish consistently than the kastmaster, wharever weight/color you use.

The only thing more conistent, on any given day, is a nightcrawler.

Captain Compassion
10-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Guy I know wrote this in an article on this site last spring. By the way, I went to Caples 'puddle' the other day, and threw Kastmaster, Krokodile and Cyclops spoons without a bite. Switched to Rapala Countdowns, which also cast like bullets, and caught 2 mackinaw to 22 inches. Just shows it pays to have a 2 or 3 trick pony.

I've had different results with the Kastmaster at the "puddle" during the last week. :)

CC

wmgraphics
10-25-2008, 08:29 PM
1/8 or 1/4 - gold, silver blue and silver fluorescent orange strip spotted.

http://www.acmetackle.com/graphics2k/km.gif

Top lining works best for me, in clear water they give off so much shine... bling.

Barbless_Fishin
10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
The Kastmaster is THE lure in my tacklebox. *Anywhere in California! *Last weekend the 3 of us killed it a Chabot, all 22 fish were on Kastmasters. *HB's Chabot lunker was on an 1/8 oz kastmaster. *In the Sierra's, gold kastmaster has always been my staple. *The 1/16 oz ones are perfect for small lakes and streams. *

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3159/dscn7722jw9.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn7722jw9.jpg)http://img522.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

They cast really really well too. *Good accuracy and distance, plus they still cast well in the wind. *Trolling is good, but you won't get them very deep unless you use a 1/4 oz or split shot's.

I've been tying mine directly to the loop for the past 10 years now and I think the action is just better this way. *My dad still uses a swivel and he out-fished me with the kastmaster the last two times this year!

Another thing to think about - the imitation brands like Cabela's just don't have the magic action. *I've tried them but tossed them out after a being let down.

Fish_R_Us
10-27-2008, 04:00 PM
I posted a reply from a previous discussion regarding Kastmasters a couple years ago. I was about 11 years old and was fishing Lake Chabot at my favorite boat dock on the east side of the lake, past the first bend. *I watched as an old timer removed the treble hook and tied a 3 foot leader with a single treble hook at the end. The baits used was an inflated nightcrawler and some garlic flavored mini-marshmallows. The old timer casted his rig out and let it settle on the bottom. He proceded to gently twitch his rig every 5 minutes and then let it settle back down to the bottom. This guy almost caught 1 trout per cast. He claimed that the lure would flash and attract the fish closer and then they would hit the bait. I tried same technique later and was amazed with the deadly results. It's just something to try when the normal rigs fail to produce. I'd be willing to bet that this works best when the trout are hanging on the bottom during the summer doldrums, and is probably less productive after the lake turns over and the trout are suspended in the middle thermoclines or on the surface.

buzzbait
10-28-2008, 03:16 PM
I posted a reply from a previous discussion regarding Kastmasters a couple years ago. I was about 11 years old and was fishing Lake Chabot at my favorite boat dock on the east side of the lake, past the first bend. *I watched as an old timer removed the treble hook and tied a 3 foot leader with a single treble hook at the end. The baits used was an inflated nightcrawler and some garlic flavored mini-marshmallows. The old timer casted his rig out and let it settle on the bottom. He proceded to gently twitch his rig every 5 minutes and then let it settle back down to the bottom. This guy almost caught 1 trout per cast. He claimed that the lure would flash and attract the fish closer and then they would hit the bait. I tried same technique later and was amazed with the deadly results. It's just something to try when the normal rigs fail to produce. I'd be willing to bet that this works best when the trout are hanging on the bottom during the summer doldrums, and is probably less productive after the lake turns over and the trout are suspended in the middle thermoclines or on the surface.

That is a pretty neat idea. Thank you for sharing. I appreciate it. Never tried that but I will have to give it a go.

gonephishin
10-29-2008, 08:50 PM
I only started fishing for trout about 6-7 years ago, and use both trout and lures to catch em. As far as kastmasters are concerned...they are my favorite trout lures on most of the lakes I have fished in California.
Depending on the conditions and the word from the locals, I basically use gold or silver and occasionally use other colors. I use everything from 1/16 and 1/8 ounce to 1/4 ounce. Its my favorite lure for trout by far!

Usually, I just tie it straight to the line, and then like bassman, I let it sink a couple seconds and retrieve. I love kastmasters!

Athlete24
10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I use them a lot too. I have been at don Pedro and been fishing with bait from the shore with no luck. I break out the trusty old kastmaster and have had the day turn around several times.