PDA

View Full Version : Chabot 10/19

HBFishin
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Lately my luck at Chabot has been less than good. Through the early spring my friends and I would get one or two if we were lucky, but mostly we received full servings of skunk. So, have not gone until yesterday.

Three of us were up and at Chabot early. Went through the boat inspection, which was new for me at Chabot. It was still dark out and we have a canoe, so not much to actually inspect and being dark out made the inspectors job more like a night with someone special than a real inspection. While he was caressing the canoe my friends were setting up and we realized that we had maybe gotten there a little too early. In the water and struggling to thread line and tie knots in the dark... some of us struggling more than others. Finally figured it out and we were off at sunrise.

Fast forward and we troll out around the island and to half moon bay without a bite.
Then one on a Kastmaster. The other two of us immediately changed to Kasmasters and we dialed it in to what size/ color and speed. By the end of the morning we had 22 for the boat and I had gotten 9 of them. Most of then of good size. Only two smallies. A great day on the water, though not exactly graceful. I am surprised no-one or nothing ended up in the water, but it made for a lot of laughs.

Once the cloud cover broke the fishing slowed and it was early afternoon at that point anyway. We decided to head back from bass cove. And that is when we learned the battery was dead.... I guess all morning on the little faster than normal troll speed that was working took it's toll. On a regular canoe you can just paddle along, not with this beast. It is 17 feet, 110 lbs of square tailed barge. It took us about an hour to paddle all the way back, my friend with the injured shoulder did not mind... no, he did not paddle. A great day all the same.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/2373/bbigwi1.th.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bbigwi1.jpg)

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2579/ohyeahgx6.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ohyeahgx6.jpg)

CountryBoy
10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow that awesome! sounds like a good day to me... Congrats! ;)

Globetrouter
10-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Maybe this year will be a better year! ;D I live about 5 minutes from there and I "should" give it a try again. What was the hot color if you don't mind.

Thanks!

okie
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
globetrotter, i am plannin on being out there around 1 pm next saturday for a couple of hours, if you're around i'd like some tips on what where to wet a line for a bass preferrablt crappie.
bill

Globetrouter
10-20-2008, 06:47 PM
globetrotter, i am plannin on being out there around 1 pm next saturday for a couple of hours, if you're around i'd like some tips on what where to wet a line for a bass preferrablt crappie.
bill

Okie,

*First off,I have two little kids and a wife who works a rotating shift as well as volunteer AND she is the PTA president too! :D :o :D.

*That said, I do not get out as much as I like. As for Bass at Chabot? Well Bass is not really my thing. It will be one day when I have the time to dedicate to it. As for where to find some? Well most of what I catch bass on is Trout lures(spinners,Rapala's, cast masters and wedding rings) and that's what I am usually after. The spots I have landed Bass (and there have been quite a few)are Bass cove(obviously huh?), around the island(from a rental boat) and Raccoon point and *Half moon bay(boat as well as shore is restricted). There is a good map of the lake in the Sniffer resource area. There are other people that target bass there. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. YET! ;). Also, you might want to post on the Bass board.

If you go, PLEASE report. As I live close by.

Sorry for the long post. It's the only kind I know! :-/

HBFishin
10-21-2008, 07:06 AM
The hot color was just gold 1/4 oz. Gold 1/8 oz was not cutting it.
I think the cloud cover helped a bit too.

Globetrouter
10-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks HB! That is the color that works the best for me. That and chrome and blue combo.

ol_dude
10-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Excellent job HB…. They have put in mostly Lassen brand of late…. They like a faster troll… Good call with the larger gold kastmasters this time of year… Also try pulling a small gold suspending crank bait… then hang-on….

HBFishin
10-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey, ol dude. Been a while.

Yes, the 1/4 oz size was the right one.
Getting on later in the day we were coming up closer to shore and I saw many small fish (about the size of a 1/4 oz kastmaster) jumping out of the water.
Just after that... fish on. There are a lot of feeder fish in there right now.

As you can see from the top pic that I just posted, they are getting fat. Almost like a football.