PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle - 10/19

Backcountry
10-19-2008, 02:20 PM
The bite still’s hit or miss…headed into Swallow Bay early and hooked up with a feisty 14” bow ten minutes into my troll. Headed up the narrows on the west side and a short time later got a nice hookup with a healthy 2# bow…came out of the water several times before I got him in the net. Both on J7 Firetiggers toplining.

After that the bite (for me anyway) dropped off. Circled the dam a couple of times before heading to the north end of Heron Bay. Marked a bunch of fish at 20 – 25 feet but no takers. Think it’s just a matter of time before they move to the surface to feed.

Hooked up with another one at the mouth of Badger cove but lost him before I even got a chance to look at him.

Woody – hope you get a chance to hook into some fish on your travels south, although sitting on the beach with a margarita sounds like a pretty good deal as well.

John – good talking to you – would look forward to seeing you up there again.

BackCountry – aka Rick

johnbfishin
10-19-2008, 04:25 PM
The bite still’s hit or miss…headed into Swallow Bay early and hooked up with a feisty 14” bow ten minutes into my troll. *Headed up the narrows on the west side and a short time later got a nice hookup with a healthy 2# bow…came out of the water several times before I got him in the net. *Both on J7 Firetiggers toplining.

After that the bite (for me anyway) dropped off. Circled the dam a couple of times before heading to the north end of Heron Bay. Marked a bunch of fish at 20 – 25 feet but no takers. Think it’s just a matter of time before they move to the surface to feed.

Hooked up with another one at the mouth of Badger cove but lost him before I even got a chance to look at him.

Woody – hope you get a chance to hook into some fish on your travels south, although sitting on the beach with a margarita sounds like a pretty good deal as well.

John – good talking to you – would look forward to seeing you up there again.

BackCountry – aka Rick

Rick, I'm glad I got to see you and say howdy, I'm sure we'll cross paths there again.
I only fished a couple of hours for one 14"er toplining a J-5 firetiger that came within the first 15 minutes of trolling near the Dam, nothing the entire length of the lake on the way in.
I was off the water by 9:00 as I'm on a roll to get some spring cleaning done around here....I'll leave it to others to decide if I'm early or late on that account. ;) :D ;D
Woody and Chad, nice seeing you guy's again.

Of course I passed the inspection and I'm now "Banded", kind of an odd feeling really.
I had taken my plug out coming back from Pyramid per the rules and was was asked why the plug was out. I told the inspector the truth which led to more questions. She wanted to look inside the bilge
which you can't do on my boat. I explained that I figured leaving the plug out would be the best way to be sure the bilge was dry. ::)

Martinez Frank
10-19-2008, 06:23 PM
John, when I went through the inspection in Truckee I had the plug with me in the Rv, I just held it up and the guy waved me through. I think that lady was trying to pick up on you :D you devil you ;D

Diesel2052
10-19-2008, 06:32 PM
We (my wife 5 year old and our dog) fished Del Valle today well kind of . We trolled from the launch ramp to the narrows and picked up 2 identical 15" rainbows. toplining 2" gold and black rapalas. After picking up the two fish in about 30 minutes we decided we had enough for dinner so we went exploring the rest of the afternoon. Nice day on the water. Talked to some guys in the morning and the three of them limited out toplining rapalas right around the launch ramp.

Woody
10-19-2008, 07:30 PM
TRC thanks for the info.. I started off at the marina this morning before it was light. I marked a ton of fish in that area but couldn't get them to bite. I did get 4 fish all 18" to 20" today and had a couple of LDR's

John, Rick, Chad it was great fishing with you today. It's always great to have others on the lake with a radio

Woody

johnbfishin
10-19-2008, 08:42 PM
*It's always great to have others on the lake with a radio
Woody

Absolutely, that's the main reason I went. Essentially I fished the whole lake today with a variety of lures in two hours....via the radio. ;)

mark_sak
10-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Great report guys,

I fished Sat. from noon to 5. Only one hit on the black/silver J7 5ft down OTW between the buoy and dam. Gave up there after a few passes. Went to the narrows and bait fished while eating lunch. Nothing on nightcrawlers, PB, or Gulp. Caught one cat on anchovy. Trolled back to the marina. Lots of fish but no takers.

Question, when top lining not OTW, do you add weight when using a J7? If not, I would think you need to be 200' or so back. I stack two lines OTW but would like to get one more line out.

Regards,

mark

Woody
10-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Mark When I topline most lures I set them back from 100 to 150 although I have caught plenty of fish with set backs as short as 60ft on the 2 rods i run on the bow of my boat and that actually only puts them back about 40 ft from the back of the boat. If you want to get your lure down a little bit run a 1oz inline weight about 4 to 6 ft in front of the lure.

Woody

worble
10-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi All

I fished Del Valle on Sunday with my son and a friend and we caught three limits of trout. We where fishing in front of the boat ramp on top of the water with fire tiger j-7. all the fish were over 15" and all but two were over 3#. What a great place to fish. I got on the water at 7:00 am and got off the water by noon.

fishmaster
10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Sounds like I need to get my boat back together and get out there. Have they started planting trout allready or are most of the fish your catching holdovers?

worble
10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi all

They have started plants. But the fish we caught were to big for plants they had to be hold overs.

Globetrouter
10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Welcome Worble! Well that does it! Your post is the one that will get me back to the lake soon. I have been chasing Striper while keeping an eye on the Trout board. I might be out there soon with my new hand held VHF.

See you guys on the water! [smiley=fishing5.gif]

tragedyspring
10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Fishmaster! Your alive! ;D ;D ;D

We got just 2 takers today on J-7 silver/black in swallow bay. nothing of size. 2 or 3 lbs each

Nice talking with you Woody and JohnBFishin. Now that people have radios at DV its more interesting. I remember I never even bothered turning it on before while there cause it seemed nobody used them. It really helps sometimes when the bite is tough like Sunday.

Take care

Chad

Woody
10-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Worbler The fish you are catching are recently planted fish. Del valle plants bigger trout, other wise they become striper food. I knew I should of stayed in the south end on Sunday. Fishmaster good to see your still out there luking. Did your son get his first buck?

Woody

Mr._Pic7
10-21-2008, 07:05 AM
What does LDR and SDR's mean?

Old_School
10-21-2008, 07:17 AM
LDR=long distance release
SDR=short distance release

Nice reports everyone.
I hoping to get a chance at them on Saturday.

Old_School
10-21-2008, 07:19 AM
...and welcome to the boards worble and Old Moe! [smiley=smiley.gif]

Mr._Pic7
10-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the insight. Trying to understand some of the lingo.

fishmaster
10-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Woody, Fishmaster jr. hasn't got his first deer yet. 2 more weeks to go than I have to get to work on putting the inside of my boat back together so we can hit the lake. Had to replace the floor boards in it. what a chore that turned out to be. see you on the water soon.