PDA

View Full Version : Barbless Hooks at Pyramid, really? Pyramid 18-19th

Majakat
10-20-2008, 05:10 AM
So, we headed over to pyramid both Saturday and Sunday - Saturday was overcast and just weird, we ended up with one in the boat, but it was hard to come by, nothing we had used in the past 3 weeks had worked - depths, colors etc- nothing.

Sunday was better, we saw chick and mongo as we launched - and we headed over the the east side - *started out slow, but we ened up with limit - of pretty nice fish, just under 20" - let 4 go for being too small - and lost a couple near the boat - *Ray lost a huge fish, right behind the boat - he was bring it in and told me it was big - and when it launched itself out of the water - we knew it was a crosy lodge sort of wall mount fish, probably 30" - a biggun that is for sure- as it twisted in the air - it unhooked itself - ah...the one that got away!

At the ramp - when we were coming in- *I was asked how we did - so i told the guys asking - and told the one that gop away story as well, it went like this..

"oh, but we lost a big one - musta been 30", but jumped and unhooked himself right behing the boat..."
Man a says " dont you hate those self unhookers?"
I say - "yeah - but with the barbless hooks it happens!"
Man B " Barbless??"
Me " Well, yeah...it is the rule..." feeling confused, maybe he didnt know that?
Man B - a fake look of shock on his face
Man A " HA! it i hard enough to catch them WITH barbs"
Man B " We DONT do barbless"
Me " Oh, well we do" (thinking holy crap - what nerve)

I was shocked - am I just innocent in thinking most people play by the rules?? :o

Wish we could fish again today - man that was fun yesterday - um..feel like a bad parent a little - or just resourceful? *hooked up the portable DVD player and let Sammy watch Dora for a while - he was so happy, and took a good nap, lol - peace on the water - it is a challenge to fish with an almost 2 year old!

and, as a side note, I only got hurt once unhooking a fish, man...I am learning, but *keeping the fish from hooking ME while I unhook HIm is a struggle, for me -

Anyway - cant wait till next weekend - and if anyone is interested in going with ray on sunday - he will be alone i think -non smoker though please! (pm me) not for sure he is going, but i know for *a fact I cant go.

Happy Monday everyone

Catherine

metalmouth
10-20-2008, 05:16 AM
The tribe has a couple of officers that like to do pretty thorough checks. They will find a barbed lure on a rod and start ticketing. ;)

Mickey_Thomas
10-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Sounds like a fun time, good job, good report. Yes, not everyone plays by the rules, but some are just ignorant of the rules too, if he knew barbless was outlawed I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be spouting off to you about it ::)
Nice big fish story too :D ;D ;D

okie
10-20-2008, 06:44 AM
cat, nice report, i hope everything is ok, it must really be serious not only to leave your husband, but especially your fishing partner, thats terrible.
i wish i could make it next sunday, i really enjoy fishing with different people, i always learn something. i goota go yo my babys in ca this weekend. if you ever desert him in the future, i'd be happy to go out with ray. i dont know if i have met you or not, probably at the fest, but with my crs i have a problem.
be safe out there.
bill

Majakat
10-20-2008, 06:48 AM
lol - it is quite serious...the older children do not enjoy the obsessive fishing quite as much as we do...so I feel the need to spend one weekend day, gasp..not...fishing... so yes, there will be another time that Ray must find a different, albelit, TEMP fishing partner :-)

cat, nice report, i hope everything is ok, it must really be serious not only to leave your husband, but especially your fishing partner, thats terrible.
i wish i could make it next sunday, i really enjoy fishing with different people, i always learn something. i goota go yo my babys in ca this weekend. if you ever desert him in the future, i'd be happy to go out with ray. i dont know if i have met you or not, probably at the fest, but with my crs i have a problem.
be safe out there.
bill

GOLDENTROUT
10-20-2008, 07:02 AM
The tribe has a couple of officers that like to do pretty thorough checks. They will find a barbed lure on a rod and start ticketing. ;) They had some guys w/boat at the ramp with slot fish yesterday. I think the only law they dont ticket for is fishing off the dock during the spawn >:( *They could build a nice launch facility if they gave all of them a ticket!
Tight lines GT.

okie
10-20-2008, 07:45 AM
i think they probably let them go this time because of the change in size fro 16-19 to 17-20. i know last year they ticketed a guy for a slot fish, i asked a ranger the next time i went out what it would cost for that, he said $100 for the fish and $150 for court costs, and you dont get to keep the fish either.

CHICKFISHING58
10-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Catherine,
It was nice talking with you yesterday sorry I didnít recognize you in the morning must have been a brain fart I didnít have a Jell-O shot yet. ::)

You guys had a better day then we did nice job. See you on the water ;)