PDA

View Full Version : what banking crisis? (UVR)

Treebeard
10-03-2008, 01:48 AM
banking crisis? for the fish, maybe!

Went up to Union Valley Reservior on Monday 9/29 - on the eastern shore. As usual, the bite was really slow during the day, so Rosie and I mainly hiked through the woods and along the shore for a couple of hours.

I was there to catch and keep enough fish for a dinner with friends, but did not want to carry a ton of fish very far - so as soon as the sun set, I high-tailed it back closer to our starting point.

My first cast got me a very nice 13" rainbow. My fingers were pretty useless that day, and I had forgotten to bring a tool, so removing hooks was going really slow... it took me several minutes between landing a fish and casting again. But even with that delay each time, I caught 5 fat rainbows in about 45 minutes, all in the 9-13" range.

So that's my "banking" experience - almost every time I've been to UVR, Loon, or Silver, most of my fish were caught after sunset - and often I end up catching them just as fast as I can get my hook back in the water.

So if you're fishing one of those lakes, and not getting enough bites, maybe you're heading in too soon. Don't bail out prematurely, try staying late. That's advice you can take to the bank!

TreeBeard

buzzbait
10-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a plan TB. Thanks for sharing.

JMat
10-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Treebeard,
Great Post and glad to see you're up here fishing/posting again. I enjoy reading your posts. The next few months will be some of the best fishing at UVR. I try to hit this lake hard until the end of the year 'cuz there's definiately some great fishing to be had.

JMat

jtk25
10-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Thinking about heading up there tomorrow, where on the east side were you at? Sunset or farther north toward Loon at one of the other access spots.

miketaylor
10-13-2008, 10:40 AM
thats good news treebeard...thanks I love ;) uvr reservoir too

Treebeard
10-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Thinking about heading up there tomorrow, where on the east side were you at? Sunset or farther north toward Loon at one of the other access spots.
Sorry jtk, I didn't get notification of your post in time... but for the next: I was near the inlet of Big Silver Creek, where the bike camping sites are. That spot is not too hard to walk out of in the dark, because of the bike path - though it helps to have my dog Rosie to find a trail to the path.

There's another spot at UVR that I go to, that's a mile through a forest thick with downed trees, sticks, etc - very hazardous in the dark. She can actually smell the exact route we came in on 10 hours earlier, in the dark and freezing cold. I probably wouldn't fish till sunset there without her!

TB

Bakkie
10-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm going to head up there soon. I have the key to a gate where everyone else has to walk; [smiley=nana.gif] right under the power house.

FishFiend916
10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Aww man I need to get up there,I havent been there in years. I caught my first ever fish at UVR...A 15 inch rainbow on a nightcrawler when I was 7 yrs old, I'm 25 now and have been ADDICTED to fishing ever since....I still remember the day, we had fished all day without a nibble, so right before we left I saw a fish jump and I told my dad and his bud that I was going to catch that fish, they chuckled and as soon as I casted right where the fish jumped....BAMMM fish on!!! a nice 15 in rainbow, then my dad told me I was walking home, which was his way of saying he was Jealous...haha...good times