PDA

View Full Version : Jenkinson 10/11

JMat
10-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Have a buddy from Sacramento staying with his wife and son at the campground this weekend. *So I decided to make the 15 minute trip to the lake to take him fishing in my boat.
It was almost too windy at times for my little Valco so we decided to topline between the launch ramp and island and out to the dam. *First fish on in about 3 minutes and fished for few more hours after that for a total of 10 fish and another 8 or so LDR's and SDR's. Not quite as hot as last week but you can't beat catching limits and it was my buddies first time on my boat so that was nice. Marked alot of fish and some looked to be pretty big... Although the biggest we caught was about 13".

JMat

Trout Tracker
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
jmat.
Sounds like you and your fishing bud had a great day.What did your friend think of trolling?
For some reason i haven't made it to Sly Park at all this year.Went 4-5 times last year and did real good.
Like you i have a 14ft Valco and was going to go to Pardee today,but the wind kept me home.Just can't see fighting the wind and being misreable to boot.Did you get any holdovers?
Bob

JMat
10-11-2008, 09:39 PM
What did your friend think of trolling?
He loved it and wondered why I would ever shore fish anymore ;D

The problem I have with Jenkinson now is the fact they raised the price to launch in April. It now costs $18 and I can make it up to Icehouse and or Union Valley for less in gas money than that but it's hard to complain when you're catching fish :)

JMat

LD
10-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I see JMaster is at it again... ;)

JMat
10-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I see JMaster is at it again... ;)

The "Legend" would've caught twice as many fish. ;D
On a different subject Jeff I got the new mount for the second seat in my boat so maybe we'll be able to take it out next time. Just make sure you bring some waterproof boots ;)

John

Trout Tracker
10-12-2008, 06:32 AM
jmat.
The last time i was there it was $13.00 which to me was a fair price for what it is.The fish are there to catch if you know where to tatget them,but most are the small planters.Plus in the summer time when the lake is filled with skiers where you fish is limited to the back of the lake.I am glad that your friend had a great time trolling.Trolling is a whole different game from just sitting on the bank.Like you since i have had my boat i am kinda spoiled.
$18.00 seems kinda steep.
Bob

JMat
10-12-2008, 10:19 AM
The last time i was there it was $13.00 which to me was a fair price for what it is.The fish are there to catch if you know where to tatget them,but most are the small planters.Plus in the summer time when the lake is filled with skiers where you fish is limited to the back of the lake.I am glad that your friend had a great time trolling.Trolling is a whole different game from just sitting on the bank.Like you since i have had my boat i am kinda spoiled.
$18.00 seems kinda steep.
Bob
Bob,
I couldn't agree with you more. I'll pretty much only pay to fish there for a special occasion. Like a friend staying there or I need to work on my trailer or boat. The dock is in the water year round and it's only 15 minutes from my house.
John

LD
10-12-2008, 10:45 AM
The "Legend" would've caught twice as many fish. *;D
Well, that much is true... ;D ;D ;D

Although I have been humbled lately... ::) ::)

As far as getting my feet wet, I do have a bilge pump for you if you want it. Send me a PM or call.

Antonio_Banderas
10-12-2008, 12:25 PM
The costs of camping at Jenkinson are INCREDIBLY steep. I was thinking about going there but at $27 a night and $18 for each additional car I'm thinking of going to Disneyland instead. What's the deal? For those prices, I expect a solid gold picnic table in every site.

trout_magnet
10-12-2008, 12:48 PM
That is really steep to launch a boat. IMO, they should lower the price in the winter when the fishermen would be out there. You can get away with charging more in the summer when there are plenty of skiers and campers around. Fishermen aren't going to be as willing to pay that kind of money.

JMat
10-12-2008, 01:09 PM
They usually do drop the price in the winter but that doesn't happen until november. Last year's winter rate was $10 but who knows if they'll even have one this year and even if they do it'll still be $14 or $15 to launch. What they need to do is keep stocking those big browns that they've put in the lake the last couple years. The Sly Park Resort are the ones that spear-headed that and EID kicked in some cash too.

JMat

jtk25
10-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Jmat,

I used to live 20 minutes from there and go after work when I was bored. I bought the season pass. I think it pays for itself with 10 or so trips. That lake has a lot to offer so it was worth the money. Rainbows, macks, and some big browns too always something on tap.

miketaylor
10-13-2008, 10:45 AM
how do you get to ;)Jenkinson Lake? thanks Steve

jtk25
10-13-2008, 11:07 AM
From Sacramento go east on Highway 50 to the Sly Park exit in Pollock Pines. Turn right at the stop sign, the lake is on the left hand side about 5 miles in, you can't miss it.

JMat
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
jtk25,
I used to buy the annual pass, too. But at $200 now I just can't justify it anymore. I don't fish the lake at all during the summer and would rather drive to UVR or Icehouse and the fishing is alot better.

JMat

jtk25
10-13-2008, 12:40 PM
$200 !!! That's insane. What are they doing up there trying not to get people to go. They put that fence up on the second dam now this. EID is either hungry for money or they want to change the scope of that lake. Eventually it will be their loss.

JMat
10-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Yep and no discounts for EID ratepayers either >:(