PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking up on Trout from bank or boat

JefffromLivermore
10-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Outdoors: How to go invisible
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/21/SP6O12VRSF.DTL

I've been practicing this up at Del Valle and I have been much more successful. I try to limit casts in an area to not just keep pounding the water in the same place putting the fish down. After I catch a fish I back out of the water and move to another spot close by and wait until I see them start jumping before I move back.

The shoal at Wasp Beach has been perfect for this. I've also waded in front of the tules and nailed them there too.

buzzbait
10-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah, a guy on here called Billfisher gave me some words of wisdom about stealth too, and I'll tell you what....it makes a world of difference...or the difference between 2 tiny fish and 10 decent fish.

It's all about Ninja-Pirate fishing. [smiley=pirate.gif]

drstressor
10-06-2008, 06:17 PM
There's a lot of wisdom there. Watch your shadow (even from a boat) and let them rest if you know fish are there, but seem to have lock jaw. Sooner or later they will feed again. Studies show that fish have a memory of about 15 min. If you have the patience to wait out a good spot, you typically do better than just pounding the water.

The real joy of fishing comes from executing a plan correctly and being right. Not catching big fish. That either happens or it doesn't.

troutfan
10-06-2008, 06:24 PM
There's a lot of wisdom there. Watch your shadow (even from a boat) and let them rest if you know fish are there, but seem to have lock jaw. Sooner or later they will feed again. Studies show that fish have a memory of about 15 min. If you have the patience to wait out a good spot, you typically do better than just pounding the water.

The real joy of fishing comes from executing a plan correctly and being right. Not catching big fish. That either happens or it doesn't.
Once again Doc your wisdom fits my experience like a glove. I remember catching my biggest brown out of a small creek(Bishop Creek) when I was a young guy. I walked up on a nice pool and see this big Brown duck under the bank so I put on a big crawler threw it in the hole and waited. The bait sat there for about fifteen minutes without a nibble and then suddenly the big boy swallowed it and the fun was on! 8-)

stonesfan
10-06-2008, 06:29 PM
That explains it all! Now I know why the Fishing Shuts Down at
Berryessa when the " LAKE LICE " come out to play................

Thanks
stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

hooks
10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I try to be very stealthy when stream fishing. Not so with my boat though. I do like fishing with a good chop on the water and maybe 5mph wind. Seems that I do better, especially in shallower water.

GOLDENTROUT
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Thats my key to brown fishing rivers and creeks. When I was a small boy my dad taught us to take our time. He has a creek full of browns near his house. Everyone fished it so it was hard. Until he showed us that if you just watch and take your time your trip will be full. Ive seen deer, bears, skunks, bobcats and three mountain lions. *Just waiting to fish a good hole after I get to a place I can fish it. And like Doc. said the best part is when your plan works.
Tight lines GT.

johnbfishin
10-07-2008, 06:13 AM
It's usually best to fish a stream heading up current as the fish are pointing that way watching for food. When working down stream try to circle around a stretch you want to fish and approach it from down stream. Often when I hit a nice hole without a bite I figured I had spooked the fish on my approach. I'd move down a hole to fish then move back up and hit the 'empty' hole again, often with good results.
My rule of thumb was 3-4 casts then wait a couple of minutes while looking around to enjoy the scenery, then hit it again.

It's always irritated me though when waiting for a hole to cool down some other fisherman walks to the head of the pool, stands upright on the highest rock and starts casting, then moves on because he hasn't caught anything. ::)