PDA

View Full Version : Shave Lake Trout Questions

NRJohn
10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Is the lake good to fish in the fall? Does it remain open all year or is closed like the Eastern Sierras? Typcially when does the lake turn over? Do you top line in the fall or is it still d.r.'s? I'd really like to go up there one more time before winter sets in. Thanks.

kgphotos@pacbell.n
10-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Are you talking about Shaver Lake in Fresno, Co.? If so then yes it is open all year for fishing. Gets a bit cold and snowy in the winter. Don't know about lake turn-over there as I didn't think this lake ever stratified. I don't fish Shaver often as i seem to not do well there. I much prefer Courtright and Wishon lakes. They are closed by snow in the winter; usually by late November. Bass Lake is a great lake for winter time trout fishing in this area.

Ironhead
10-03-2008, 03:56 AM
This lake is open year round. It used to be tremendous fall lake with some top quality fish available. Over the past few years, the size of fish has fallen off, not the quantity. As the water temps continue to drop, it will be a top line lake. This month is our favorite time to fish and camp at this lake. You will pretty much have it to yourself right now. Just don't go on the weekend all the boats have to be pulled out of the slips.

Ironhead

NRJohn
10-03-2008, 07:16 AM
With kids in school weekends are the only option right now. Maybe they'll get one of those teachers day only days off and can make a quick run up. Would like to time it with a Santa Ana wind event down in So. Cal. I'm sure it'd be beautiful then.

Ironhead
10-03-2008, 09:52 AM
John,

I hope I did not mislead you. The weekends are great right now. There is a certain date all the boats have to be out of the slips at Sierra Marina, not a good weekend to be there. You can give them a call and see what date that is, heck it might of already passed by.

Slapabow
10-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Boats out by oct.12
Mandatory.
Fishing is not bad this time of year,you can even play with the
kokes that are trying to spawn.Site fish. You actually run them over
at the launch ramp.
Trout would be in the top 20' id imagine.
You are still the man with those day trips from SO.CAL.
Tightlines