PDA

View Full Version : Oh how i wish we could use two rods at pyramid!

Majakat
10-02-2008, 05:37 AM
I think I am going to have to bribe the older kids to come fishing with us so we can long line as well as use the downrigger - they will be psyched to reel in a nice fish, and we can have 4 rods on the boat, it feels weird not to be able to have them! I sure wish you could get a 2 rod stamp there- you would think they would allow it, since you still would have the same limit and they could make some more $$

drstressor
10-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I once got a fishing license for my dog at Pyramid so that I could fish 2 rods without anybody else on board. Some of the Rangers though that it was OK as long as I paid for the season permit. Others did not. Technically, you can't do that. The rules specifically say people. ;)

One rod on each downrigger and a top line down the middle is about the most you can fish at Pyramid. The fish aren't deep and hang out at about the same depth during each part of the season. So all you get are tangles when you try to fish too many rods.

SuperDave
10-02-2008, 11:29 AM
It just makes fishermen like Mickey and Mr. Ed frantic because they have to change lures twice as often to keep up. ;D ;D I've always wanted a second rod just for that reason so that the paterns could be varied a little more. But the truth is that they are either hitting or they aren't. 2 rods don't seem to improve the catch ratio much.

CHICKFISHING58
10-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey Fishermom,
I was the one trying to talk to you on the radio yesterday but once you herd who I was you stop talking what was that all about :'(

Majakat
10-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey Fishermom,
I was the one trying to talk to you on the radio yesterday but once you herd who I was you stop talking what was that all about :'(

No! I didnt stop talking , but no one could hear me? It is a new radio, and I dont think I know how to set the gain or something? We have never had one before, I could hear you guys though! It was only $100 - maybe it isnt a good one, not sure?

Lol - why wouldnt I talk to you! I was on the lookout for boats too - I need to get some stars so we can be seen - I did talk to hooks and mr sockeye, we passed each other a couple times, but dont think I saw anyone else?

We can susally be found by the 20 mo old hanging on the side, or the banchee screaming of said child....

Majakat
10-02-2008, 12:00 PM
I once got a fishing license for my dog at Pyramid so that I could fish 2 rods without anybody else on board. Some of the Rangers though that it was OK as long as I paid for the season permit. Others did not. Technically, you can't do that. The rules specifically say people. ;)

One rod on each downrigger and a top line down the middle is about the most you can fish at Pyramid. The fish aren't deep and hang out at about the same depth during each part of the season. So all you get are tangles when you try to fish too many rods.

when we fish at other lakes, like eagle, we have the 2 downroggers straight back, and 2 rods straight out to the side - and dont get tangled really, cause the long lines are back pretty far

we need to just rig up 4 rods with different lures and switch them out i guess - but like yesterday, we went over a hump and the downrigger was like at 20, hum was 20soemthing, so i hit the bottom, pulled the line out - let that line longline out while i brought the ball up, and got a great hit, big fish that i lost right at the boat, but it was prob not big enough to keep, maybe 22/23in - but it made me want to put out a long line, lol

Mr_Ed
10-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Daves right...........

If I had a two rod stamp, I would be in a Straight Jacket in no time !!

However, I might loose some weight, with all the trips back and forth
on the boat.....................

Huuum??

metalmouth
10-02-2008, 05:53 PM
It's not that hard to run four rods for two people. Saying it's too difficult doesn't hold water. Saying that more fish will be caught and released leading to more mortality would be a better explanation.

Majakat
10-03-2008, 05:12 AM
It's not that hard to run four rods for two people. Saying it's too difficult doesn't hold water. Saying that more fish will be caught and released leading to more mortality would be a better explanation.
We dont fish like that though, in lakes with no slot limit, we keep what we catch to limit(and only ever limited on eagle) and we leave and have a good dinner and share with my folks and friends- we didnt even limit on Pyramid, and only released one for being the wrong size- I am not into c&r really, meaning we actually catch fish to eat them - if the day is short because we caught limit early, so be it! I do understand that if you were catching so many that were the wrong size to be keepers that you would be endangering their lives needlessly with more poles.

GOLDENTROUT
10-03-2008, 06:24 AM
*I do understand that if you were catching so many that were the wrong size to be keepers that you would be endangering their lives needlessly with more poles.

Just wait, if your fishing Pyramid that will be the case. When it goes off you'll catch so many fish your arms will hurt ;) The part that gets me is the cutts are so aggressive you'll catch small ones on big lures. When they want to bite ;D

drstressor
10-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Yep. Limits of keeper fish should not be a problem at Pyramid once you get the place figured out. Even fishing with single rods. Moving the slot size up to 17"-20" will make limits even easier. You catch a lot more 19"-20" fish than 16"ers.

Once you get into the shallow water winter fishing pattern, you'll see that you will catch the same amount of fish no matter how many rods are out there.