PDA

View Full Version : pyramid 10-01

okie
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
on the water at 10, off at 3, caught 2, 16 3/4" and 27". only 2 hits.
sorry to hear about your motor tim, you know when ever you want to go out, just holler.

Captain Compassion
10-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Better than nothing Bill. How deep were they?

CC

okie
10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
cc, most of the fish i saw were 50' on down. saw very few up where we were fishing, 20' on the wire. the 27" came on a chartrus w/ blk dots behind a 3 oz banna weight. the 16" on a firetiger bomber deepdiver. used the dr's 10 to 20', nothing. not payn attention near mushroom, had d/r's at 20' and was in 10'of water, lost both lures and got my balls messed up, i forgot that is where the lake gets real shallow. noticed 1 pinnacle at 5' on the depth.
saw 1 boat bring 1 up, they were jiggin, nice lookin fish, must have been in the slot so they let it go and it just drifted away, i didn't notice them tryin to revive it. i was thinkin of tryin jigs for perch, but i dont want to take the chance of killin a fish but going that deep, according to my ff.

chicofishrmen
10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Okie, maybe if you didn't sleep in, you might have done better! I thought you retired guys were early risers!http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2008/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif How was the ramp, a long wait? 2 is better than none. What was the water temp?

okie
10-01-2008, 07:03 PM
chico, i didn't even notice the water temp, no problem launching, hassel to get off.
i do rise early, 5 or 530. but i have to get the wife off to work, retirement dont pay all the bills, someone has to pay for my gas.
i think most people were jigging. i'd like to catch some of those perch but when i see a dead fish, it kind of turns me against it. i dont know if you can revive them or not. i know me and bigb trolled a bow on frenchmans for some time, when we released it, it turned bottoms up. we stopped and moved it back and forth for about 10 mins and it swam off. maybe it would help if people did that. if i knew it would work, i mite try for the perch.

nvtroller
10-01-2008, 07:10 PM
My boat had good luck today. 3 of us onboard. *We launched at about 5:45am and went to the pyramid and fished just north of it and south of it for about 1 hour. *Caught a few nice fish down at 15 to 35ft in water from 60 to 200ft deep. A couple of doubles also. *There were big bait balls North of the pyramid. *Several boats with lots of people jiggn. *They did bring up a few fish that we saw. *We fished on up north all the way to the kitchen area. *powered up a couple of times to get there. *We kept 4 fish for the BBQ and released about 25 others. *there were several small guys and the rest were all about 20 to 23&3/4"inches. I heard all the banter and info from chick and topaz tom and a few others but me being radio shy I did not chime in. *We caught our fish on up north from 30 to 60ft down in water from 80ft to 160ft deep. *Went to the west side and caught a couple of dinks. *We used red with green lymans and a red with black dot lyman and a black and silver lyman. *We caught most of our fish on silver or red hologram lures. at 1.8 to 2.3mph. Water temp on top was 68 to 71 as the day went on.*We sure saw a number of floaters on the east side as well as the west side. BUMMER *:-[ about the floaters!
troller

Prowler
10-01-2008, 07:44 PM
So, I've been reading all these tackle ho posts about their Pyramid paraphernalia and not once have I heard mentioned a hologram lure. Do you have a pic handy?

drstressor
10-01-2008, 07:53 PM
BUMMER about the floaters!

That's what happens when people fish deeper than 35 ft with the surface as warm as it is. The tribe almost banned downriggers last year. They are still not happy about the waste of fish.

okie
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
i dont know how deep the jigger were fishing, but when i went by them, my ff indicated fish from 50' on down, i didn't see any using d/r's. i would love to get a mess of those perch, that would help keep me from goin to the bay area for bass, but i dont think i would go down more than 30, maybe 40' to try for them. the only time i went deeper than that was for salmon, 90 to 100. fish is getting to scarce to
go for something at those depths.
my .02

nvtroller
10-02-2008, 06:58 AM
okie,
I did not mean to hijack your thread. I only wanted to share info.

Prowler, I only know them by hologram lures. I have seen them sold at the cal-expo by the man who makes them and they are sold at Mark Fore & Strike and the Pyramid lake store just before you see the lake on your left going in. They are a real light almost like a flutter spoon and have a hologram sticker of a shad on both sides. They come with a siwash hook on them. It is my goto lure at pyramid. You can troll them fast or slow and I make a point to stop once in awhile and let it flutter down and it usually gets a strike. They come in a variety of colors. All the colors have worked for me and my fishing partners. OK here is the real trick to em. Reverse the hook. They come with the hook going up. That makes them more often than not do a labotomy on the fish and you know what that means for mortality. When you reverse the hook to hook down it hooks in the fishes lower jaw area and even with a barbless hook you will lose less fish and be more able to release and let live. The lure has a small curve at the rear and that is how to determine which way is up or down. when the curve is up the lure is the way it mostly flutters in the water and you want the hook the opposite of that curve. Good luck.

troller

okie
10-02-2008, 09:13 AM
no problem troller, the more info on a post is better for me. i got some lures at sportsmans that i thought were holograms, they have a real beautiful painting on 1 side, very light. they are a lot cheaper than mark four and strike.

CHICKFISHING58
10-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I heard all the banter and info from chick and topaz tom and a few others but me being radio shy I did not chime in. >:( >:( >:( >:(

NVTROLLER SHAME ON YOU NOW I CAN REALLY PICK ON YOU ;D

I would love to meet you silly

Okie,
I tried keying up on the radio but I guess you couldn’t hear me :-/

We worked hard at trying to catch fish thanks to Mongo he put Kevin and I on to fish the only place we caught fish was at Anderson Bay and believe me we tried everywhere and everything.

We marked fish everywhere they were just not biting.
Mark lots of bait balls on the east side.
The water was terrible I think its getting ready to turn over.

CHICKFISHING58
10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
The water was still between 69 and 70 degree

drstressor
10-02-2008, 11:31 AM

How many times do I have to 'splain this? ;) ;D

Its the annual blue green algae bloom. It happens on low water years (most years) when the water temperature starts to drop. Pyramid doesn't turn over until January or February.

The algae should be gone by next weekend.

CHICKFISHING58
10-02-2008, 11:44 AM

How many times do I have to 'splain this? ;) ;D

Its the annual blue green algae bloom. It happens on low water years (most years) when the water temperature starts to drop. Pyramid doesn't turn over until January or February.

The algae should be gone by next weekend.

Gee Doc,
I'm sorry why don't you spank me [smiley=rotfl2.gif] :-*

Pyramid_Kid
10-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Gee Doc,
I'm sorry why don't you spank me [smiley=rotfl2.gif] :-*
[/quote]

Now your just looking for a good time. ;) [smiley=tongue2.gif]