PDA

View Full Version : hows the bite on quarry?

Dimsumboy
09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Gonna head out there tomorrow from 7am to noon, what works for trouts over from the bank? power bait<what color>? or nightcrawlers. thanks!

LUNDker_hunter
09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
good luck- youll need it. Bring the worms and worm blower

CountryBoy
09-18-2008, 05:15 PM
is anybody catching anythng at quarry?

NorCal2500HD
09-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Headed out there after this post......we were there on Monday night and my boy caught a 1.5lb bow on superlight tackle and a spoon. Another guy caught a few cats, probably in the 2-3lb range. The catfish bite has slowed down for us. Once the sun goes down, it seems the trout have been extremely active, coming to the top for the minnows.

Dimsum.....Honestly you might want to get there as early as possible. park down the street and walk in at 5am. I might get up early and hit it in the AM as well.....the joys of being a stay at home dad.... ;D

CountryBoy
09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
how did you do friday?

Dimsumboy
09-21-2008, 11:43 PM
I skunked, and to make it worst the guy next to me caught a nice trout AND a really nice bass <he measured 17"> *while using the same bait as me with the same setup! :'( BUT... I did well today at berkeley pier so that made up, gonna head back to quarry this friday with a few friends dawn-night fishing, I shall have my revenge!

NorCal2500HD
09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
We got to the lake around 8 or so and had the lines wet by 810. Within the first 10 minutes had bites on both my poles with the new stuff I was trying. They were super hard hits so Im guessing they were small cats. Majority of the good sized ones out there hit nice and easy and slowly take the line. So between 820 and 9 got a few more bites but couldnt get the hooks set....got these new catfish hooks at wal mart and dont like them one bit. My boy got a few hits as well. got slow until about 930 when my boy got this one: guessing he was around 4lbs or so....Got bored so I started shining the shallow water from the dock. 1 trout, probably about 2lbs or so...odd colored with mites growing all over it..... hung around for a few more and then left.
http://www.automotiveportrait.com/misc/d1.jpg

Dimsumboy
09-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I hate you! ;D j/k so... whats the new stuffs you're trying and whats shinning?

NorCal2500HD
09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Cant give all my secrets out...lol...I was walking along the dock shining my flashlight in the supershallow water next to the shore. When there is no wind, the water is like glass and crystal clear. You can see about 5-6ft down. Theres always some sort of fish just cruising around. Awhile back my boys caught a 5lb bow about 3ft off the shore with a spoon. They had a pic up but photobucket isnt showing it anymore..... We hit that place up like 3-4 times a week if you want to come out with us you are more then welcome.

CountryBoy
09-22-2008, 10:47 PM
I skunked, and to make it worst the guy next to me caught a nice trout AND a really nice bass <he measured 17"> *while using the same bait as me with the same setup! :'( BUT... I did well today at berkeley pier so that made up, gonna head back to quarry this friday with a few friends dawn-night fishing, I shall have my revenge!

where were you fishing at? im thinkin about headin out there early wed. morning and parkin on the street and walking in...

Dimsumboy
09-23-2008, 12:14 AM
@ NorCal2500HD
flashlight huh... I always had that idea in mind for both fresh & saltwater, I read online somewhere saids green light drives fish into feeding mode because they think its morning light, my dad have a hobby of making LED lights, we talked about running a powerful 5 watt luxeon LED through a green filter using a very small lithium battery that can run all night. And shouldn't cost more than $50 bucks, I might head out there this friday night with a friend from 7pm-10pm before head out to the city for drinks, I'd love to watch an expert at work lol

@ countryboy
I started last friday morning in the area a bit pass the swimming area from the entrance and only caught a small bass on green lure, then moved to the dock around 3pm and an hour left after watching the guy next to me caught a trout and a nice bass all in 20 mins and his nice enough to ask me if it's alright that he keeps the bass. Went home before the GF finds out I went fishing lol

CountryBoy
09-23-2008, 08:58 AM
thanks DimSum...If I were to get there at 5 am targeting trout would you recommend fishermans row or the dock? sorry for all the questions but Im not very familiar with this lake...Ive only been twice. I appreciate your help ;)
CountryBoy

Dimsumboy
09-23-2008, 09:26 AM
That I don't know, but I did forgot to mention while I was at the dock there while few times I saw a school of good size trout like 10-14 of them just cruise around and jumping to the left of the dock, and generally i see most anglers to the right of the boat launch. Also they dropped 1,000 lbs of trouts on 9-16-08

CountryBoy
09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
thats good to know thank you... alright i have a few more questions and thats it...How far is the walk to the lake if I park on the street? and do they have a machine where I can get a daily permit? also do they have a bait shop there?
again thank you I appreciate it
CountryBoy

Dimsumboy
09-23-2008, 04:13 PM
the closest street is barnard dr, and its a good 10 mins walk from there through the main entrance and to the dock, from that point depending where you're going its another 10-15mins walk unless you wanna go opposite end of the lake then it can be longer. i think there is a machine but I don't think it's working anymore, you best get it from the main entrance. bait shop I'd go walmart or there is I'm lazy I'll pick it at this shop off Niles Blvd/Nursery ave, its on the left.

CountryBoy
09-23-2008, 06:22 PM
thanks man I really appreciate it. Ill be there bright and early tomorrow and I'll post a report sometime tomorrow. I'll have one pole for trout and one for catfish in case its still too early for trout. either way I know it'll be a good day regardless of what I catch.
CountryBoy

CountryBoy
09-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Just got back and I got skunked too :-[...the good news is though that the trout have started biting...I fished Fishermans Row for about an hour before I decided to head over to the cove by the dock where its deeper. I should have started here :-/... I saw 2 trout caught and both were over 3 pounds. one was 4 1/2! one on powerbait one on a lure. I fished for about 2 hours there with Yellow power eggs. anywho Ill be goin back soon... :) thanks again for all your help DSB ;)
CountryBoy

Dimsumboy
09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I work for few hours in the morning then head to the lake at lunch, from then till 2:45pm I had 2 trouts and lost 1, I was at the dock, there fish jumping all over the place, atleast 8-10 guys throwing all kinds of lures and only 1 guy landed 1 lol < it was a very funny scene> I use nightcrawlers, guess I was lucky today. I havent caught anything that's legal size there since.... last year *:'(

but anyways here's few pics.

Don't know how heavy they are, but seems like a decent size well atleast for me *:)

<this phone camera I'm using is acting weird on this pic>

http://lh3.ggpht.com/dimsumjai/SNrAklE64XI/AAAAAAAAAFk/qNY7pyMkxIM/s512/IMG_0102.JPG

Here's another

http://lh4.ggpht.com/dimsumjai/SNrBPqqzOqI/AAAAAAAAAFw/5ONhT92Vsks/s512/IMG_0103.JPG

CountryBoy
09-25-2008, 10:44 AM
glad you were able to get some! Ill be there early tomorrow armed night crawlers and see how I do.

NorCal2500HD
09-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Never fished for trout with crawlers. How are you guys rigging them.....slip bobber type setup or slinding sinker and worm blower?

CountryBoy
09-25-2008, 08:06 PM
I use the sliding sinker and worm blower. I generally rig the worm along with a power egg and do really well... good luck ;)

NorCal2500HD
09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
what size hook?

CountryBoy
09-26-2008, 05:58 PM
I use size 8 gamakatsu. thats my favorite kind of hook.

Dimsumboy
09-26-2008, 09:56 PM
yeah gamakatsu hooks is extra sharp and great quality, I like a little bigger hook so less chance of gut hooking the fish.

GOT2FISH510
10-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I live rite next to Quarry Lakes and fished there twice. Both times got skunked.... Im not fimilair with lake fishing and tactics so any tips on catching some trout and even maybe a catfish. Tips such as line size,Bait,Rigs, time and area to land trout.

Any info would be cool to learn. :)