PDA

View Full Version : Pryamid 10/1

Majakat
09-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Ray and I will be there - hoping for nice calm weather -

questions - whats the best area of the lake to start on and

whats the first lure you are gonna try? Weve never fished there - and from reading it sounds like just about anything might work - so thinking just a largish spoon?

Topaz_Tom
09-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I'll be there. It depends on the weather as to where I'll start fishing. If it's calm, we'll probably go to the east side, around the pyramid area or Hell's Kitchen. If the weather is iffy we'll stay on the west side by Warriors, WindlessBay, Spider Point. Spoons work good in either frog, red w/black dots or yellow w/red dots. I'll probably start out with Lymans or my new GVF lures in frog, firetiger or tui chub patterns. Good Luck out there. We'll be on ch#69, give us a shout and we'll let you know how we're doing. Tom

BigB
09-28-2008, 04:36 PM
FisherMom,

If you are going to stay on the west side, start up at Warrior Pt and troll the area south of the mushroom. Start with your spoons or try Apexs in green, watermelong and frong pattern.

Brian

drstressor
09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Mr. Ed and I fished for perch on Friday and checked out the entire north end of the lake from the Pyramid, LA Rocks, Hell's Kitchen, the Needles, and down to Warrior. Since we only fished close to the rocks in relatively shallow water, we only got a dozen or so accidental trout. Ordinarily you can't keep them off your jigs this time of year.

We saw NO bait close to shore. Nothing at the ramp or off any of the rocks. So forget about a jig bite again this year. Of course you can always catch some fish jigging, but you need to know what you are doing. You won't just be able to find cornered bait schools and catch all the fish you want.

Most rocks and walls were dead, but we really were fishing for perch, so don't take that to the bank. But that usually means that the trout will be off the beaches rather than the rock walls. We did pick up a few trout off the rocks just south of Warrior in about 18-25 ft of water. Mr. Ed had a group of 3 or 4 trout follow his jig up that were all over 25". He about went nuts. :o The trout we saw and caught were mostly all in good condition, so they must be eating something. Remember that there are 2 types of chubs in the lake, the ones that stay in the shallows and mid water and the ones that stay right near the bottom. The benthic chub population might be OK. My depth finder went dead on me, so I can't report on the bait situation.

I would start out with chub pattern Apexes or Lymans on the assumption that the trout are actively feeding on chubs as they should be this time of year. Chub pattern means green/white, frog, or Army Truck. If that doesn't work out, try attractor patterns like watermelon, rainbow, fire tiger or anything bright during the day. Plugs and Apexes will usually out fish spoons unless the trout are actively chasing bait schools. But almost anything should work this time of year.

As far as rigging goes, use a black barrel swivel, 5 ft of 12 lb fluorocarbon leader, and a #2 duolock wire clip attached to the lure. The leaders that come with Apexes and StingKings are fine without modification. Fish from 15' to 30' on the wire. Search for fish in 18 to 40 ft of water off the beaches. If you work the deep rock walls, S troll from close to the wall all the way out to 300' or more until you locate fish. Pay attention to the water depth when you hook up and concentrate on that general area.

I have to get my head examined on Wednesday (literally :)) with a doctors follow up the next day. But I hope to get out on Friday the 3rd and I'll file a trout report.

clamkin
09-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the recon, Doc!

Majakat
09-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys!! We are hoping pyramid satisfies the urge we have to go back to eagle lake, lol - as it is 30 miles and 30min as apposed to 3 hours and much more gas, ha!

SuperDave
09-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys!! *We are hoping pyramid satisfies the urge we have to go back to eagle lake, lol - as it is 30 miles and 30min as apposed to 3 hours and much more gas, ha!

Good luck with that Catherine. I've had many enjoyable & memorable moments at Pyramid but they don't stack up to a good Eagle Lake trip.

Majakat
09-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys!! *We are hoping pyramid satisfies the urge we have to go back to eagle lake, lol - as it is 30 miles and 30min as apposed to 3 hours and much more gas, ha!

Good luck with that Catherine. *I've had many enjoyable & memorable moments at Pyramid but they don't stack up to a good Eagle Lake trip.

No! Say it isnt so! Ahhh...well it is worth a shot, lol - still going to Eagle for 9 days in november, cannot wait :D

CHICKFISHING58
09-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I went out on Wed didnít mark any fish went to Hells, tufa, and warriors.
I picked up my boat on Sunday and took my grandson to the marina beach and I saw 100ís of chub.

I will be there on Wed heading south key up on channel 69

tortuga
09-29-2008, 03:03 PM
If you check the FAQs at the top of the page there is some pretty good info on Pyramid.
Tortuga

gone fishin
09-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey Doc...

When was last time you actually caught a perch...lol...I think they went extinct ;) ;)...I've never seen a perch in yrs...

drstressor
09-30-2008, 01:21 PM
The last ones we caught were just before Bite Me II passed on.

We saw 1 perch on Friday. It was sick and floating near the surface. Pyramid is marginal for perch reproduction when the water is low. Like now. Some people were still getting quite a few. They only seem to hit under low light conditions during the summer.

metalmouth
09-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I know some guys that catch perch all summer long at Pyramid! ;)

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3052/kenperch3sl1.jpg