PDA

View Full Version : Goin to either folsom or natoma any help?

raidernation
09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
i was thinkin of goin to either folsom or lake natoma to due some trout fishing any one out there have any luck? what kind of species does natoma hold? any help would be appreciated. thanks

crank_bait
09-28-2008, 03:35 PM
natoma is a waste of time unless you go to the mouth of the river under the bridge by boat. good trout fishing in that spot.

King-J
09-28-2008, 04:17 PM
natoma is a waste of time unless you go to the mouth of the river under the bridge by boat. good trout fishing in that spot.
I hear that if you use a Rapala Painted White you may land a Record size Trout ;)

cowboyfisher21
09-29-2008, 12:27 PM
People are getting a couple king salmon at 86 feet on rolled shad in front of the dam. I would give it a couple more weeks and wait till we have some overcastand cooler days before i would head to folsom. Natoma hasntbeen stocked in close to five years other than the once a year salmon festivel where they put in 500 pounds of fish. The monsters are all upriver at the start of the lake where folsom releases its water. see the fish stay in front of the dam where the turbines chop up food and send i it into natoma. also the water is cooler there with the fresh oxygen. the only problem is downstream from the dam a 1000 yards is owned by the prison! so you cant even get to those big boys! they will shoot at your boat if you cross the line! i took my boat under the sign and kept going and i was told to go back by two gaurds and a warning shot!(will not be doing that again) your only chance is to wait till dec or january and go to the chain and cast a rapala or crawler on the bottom and hope you hook one of these monsters that hopefully came downstream. ;)

FishFiend916
09-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I agree Folsom and natomas are both pretty much a waste of time right now...ESPECIALLY natomas!! It is true that there are record size trout in there, but they are VERY hard to catch! I grew up in that area, and have seen some monsters, but they are very very hard to come by. The best bet is a baby bow trophy stick at first light along the shorelines below rainbow bridge, but if I was gonna spend that much time trying to hook big fish, I would just drive and go somewhere else!

Maybe try striper or steelhead fishing on the American River if your looking to stay local.