PDA

View Full Version : sunrise @ prosser

tbruski
09-26-2008, 07:02 AM
What is the earliest you can legally start fishing this time of year. Going up to the Prosser area this weekend.
Thanks,
Bruski

cjskier
09-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Its not worth fishing there before noon, trust me. noon to 2 pm is best, no joke. But when ever you go, be aware the water level is VERY low now, and still dropping fast. Almost past the boat ramp(cement part). Just a heads up. I fish it about twice a week, I live 2 min away, lol.

PM me if you want some more details or have some more questions.

edit: sunrise is right about 6:30 right now, be prepared for cold!

rpwlaw11
09-26-2008, 08:13 AM
TB- I would double check the regs myself, but I think it's legal to fish 1 hour before sunrise at Prosser. Not sure how you plan on fishing it. Baitfishing wise, pink and orange powerbait is awesome. Do bring a box of mini-crawlers and inflate them. Slowly inch them along the bottom and you will get bit for sure. I had my best time early mornings right before the sun hits the water they will start to bite. Fish the shallow water at this time. Don't waste your time in deeper water this early. The east side is better when it's cooler.

Trolling wise, we were just up there last Sunday and tore them up with a pin minnow and Rapala fast trolling. Did hook one on a needlefish, but the minnow plugs were the hot ticket that day. Trolling was best at the mouth of the cove where Alder creek enters. This is to the right of the boat ramp when you launch.

Sleeper action can be had on smallies if you're into fishing for them. They like to hang out by the face of the dam. Lots of 2-3 pounders, but hard to catch. At least for me. :-?

Side note, the wind always kicks up at noon and usually lasts until the late afternoon. If you stay late, the trout usually surface like crazy right before dusk, unless the wind is still going. Flyfishing is good at this time, or spinners. Most of the trout at this time of year have them stress sores on their body also. One more thing, red salmon eggs works well early mornings, casted not too far off the bank. Good luck, have fun.

rpwlaw11
09-26-2008, 08:20 AM
I live 2 min away, lol.

CJ- You lucky dog. This is my go to reservoir when I just want to kick back and catch fish. Don't know why, because it's one ugly reservoir. Maybe you were one of the two boaters I saw out there last Sunday in the windy conditions. My son and I were testing out the new toon that day.

cjskier
09-26-2008, 09:17 AM
I live 2 min away, lol.

CJ- You lucky dog. This is my go to reservoir when I just want to kick back and catch fish. Don't know why, because it's one ugly reservoir. Maybe you were one of the two boaters I saw out there last Sunday in the windy conditions. My son and I were testing out the new toon that day.

That would be me for sure. I was up in the prosser creek arm that day, always launch from prosser dam rd. When the wind picks up, so does the fishing. Its just hard to fight it in a small 12' boat. I enjoy the challenge and the rewards.

I am going to go fishing there now actually. You guys got me going with all this talk. I had to run to town and fill up the tank. I'll report with photos.

I should note that I am not taking any fish from this lake, at least not right now. The planters are gross with bugs. Any thing hold over I release to catch again because there does not seem to be many.

I've got a question, does anyone eat small mouth?

cowboyfisher21
09-26-2008, 11:51 PM
just checked the regs: fishing is allowed one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset. so go have at and let us know how you do! ;)

GOLDENTROUT
09-27-2008, 05:24 AM
I've got a question, does anyone eat small mouth?
Yes, Small mouth are great to eat just like large mouth or spots.
They get big in Stampede and fight like no other fish in the lake ;D

cjskier
09-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Only bass I've eaten is stripper, so i have nothing to compare to. I will probably just keep letting them go.

mrsockeye
09-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I support catch and fillet on smallies. They are fantastic table fare. Fillet, fillet the skin off, coat in flour, fry till brown, fantastic. Largemouths, are actually better in my opinion. Trolling a night crawler behind a dodger is a killer setup at Prosser. They usually start moving up to where the creeks come in at this time of year.

rpwlaw11
09-28-2008, 07:21 AM
I've got a question, does anyone eat small mouth?[/quote]

I haven't eaten a smallie in 7 years or so. They are pretty good eating though. I'm more of a catch and catch again fisherman these days. Might be heading out to Prosser right now myself. Just debating on that or checking out Folsom close to home. Lake Davis bound on Monday.