PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis

captn-tin
09-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Well, just got back from 10 beautiful days staying at our new place in Portola. Sure beats Fairfield!
Fished Lake Davis for the 1st time. Hope you don't think this is cheatin, but hired a guide for 1/2 day. Set out at 8am. Using downriggers for 1st time trolled flys at 8' in a creek channel. Depth of channel was about 28 to 32" where we caught the fish. Fish averaged 18" or so. Caught em between 9:15 and 10:45. Speed was between 1.8 and 2.5mph by gps speed. The fly (which I know nothing about) was a rendition of a Wooley Bugger in black. Cinnamon, brown, and dark green are also supposed to be good colors. Guides name is Ed Dillard.
Whie we were out we saw 2 coyotes chase a nic 3x4 buck into the lake. Got pictures of this and the fish that I wil post later...if I can figure out how.
Took the wife out the next day,after I bought a couple of flys at the local shop. Dont have d r s on my boat yet so leadlined 2 colors with 35ft 6# leader. We each caught 1 fish and then the wind came up. Man it sure comes up fast up there, white caps and all. Had a great time, learned a little about the lake and am lookin forward to gettin up there again' real soon.

o

mrsockeye
09-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I've been awaiting a post on this lake, it should only getter better in the next month or so. Thanks for posting, and hiring a guide is a great idea. Time is money, and you save valuable time by hiring a guide, therefore, you save money. Get those pics up, that sounds interesting. When I was hunting antelope a few years ago, I saw a wounded buck pronhorn get taken down by 2 coyotes. It was gruesome, the kind of sight you never forget. Blood and hair everywhere, topped off by a 6" section of windpipe.