PDA

View Full Version : The Not So Suckee Truckee

mrsockeye
09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Today I fished the "Suckee Truckee" as I affectionately call it. *I killed two birds with one stone, as I hit Cabelas too. *At Cabelas I ran into DocStressor, and picked his brain for about two hours. *Finally, I looked at his watch, and it said 7:00, and I realized that I was running really late. *I said,"Wow, I'm supposed to be going fishing tonight, got to go." *So I hit the river right after the sun went down, and my timing couldn't have been any better. *I started out trying to imitate a Truckee River favorite, Lahontan Redside Shiner. *No luv on that pattern, so I switched it up, this time, trying to imitate a Tahoe Sucker. *Second cast, fish on. *After a good fight, I had a nice 20" brown. *Two casts later, bam fish on again, and this one was bigger. *The fish jumped, and it looked almost black, revealing that it was a big spawning male brown. *Then it went on a drag burning run. *Eventually the big boy tired out, and it was just a beauty of a brown, *22 inches, and in full spawning color. *About 3 casts later, in the next spot, I briefly hooked an even larger one, until he jumped and tossed my plug. *Ugh... the one's that get away are the worst.
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4866/1020174mo1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

cowboyfisher21
09-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Beautiful fish my friend! i would gladly trade my limit of big rainbows for those browns anyday!you truely are a great fisherman as browns of that size are very very difficult to catch! ;D that sucks you lost the huge one, im sure he would have been a monster! prolly a big ol hookjaw male! ;) keep the post coming great job!

Pyramid_Kid
09-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Only certain sections of the Truckee suck, and even still its a great place to fish. Granted its not what it used to be. I remember when I was a younger young man it didnt matter where you where on the river you where going to catch fish and large fish like what you brought in this evening. Before I started fishing the Truckee was considered a world class fishing stream (river). Its seen much better days but with alot of effort from NDOW and local area clean up volunteers (including me) it could get back to what it used to be when I was a kid.

By the way nice catch, those are some healthy looking browns. 8-)

metalmouth
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Beauties! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Captain Compassion
09-23-2008, 09:11 PM
You said you were going to do it and you did. Mr. Sockeye strikes again. Beautiful pictures and I love the story. You gonna give Goldentrout a run for his money. ;D

CC

shadbuster
09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Beautiful fish :).

mrsockeye
09-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey Cowboy, I went back and re-read your post, don't let those guys get you down, those are dandy fish, irregardless of their origin. Let me also say, those fish have seen every lure that is made, presented in every way possible, and you managed to fool them, not an easy task. These browns were in a super remote section of river, and they were suckers for what I had, just as I knew they would be, based on 12 years of fishing the Truckee. Actually, not that challenging.
Giving GOLDENTROUT a run for his money, not even close. He has caught the big ones that I lie about catching. ;D Truely, I've hooked some 7-8 pounders, and every single one has jumped and thrown the hook. I even gave up for a couple of years, I got down on myself, and just figured it was never going to happen, but I'm back now.
Pyramid Kid is correct, it used to be better. I see so many people in my "Honey Holes" these days that it's scary. The rafter traffic has muddied up the water and put the fish down, amongst other things. I still love the Truckee, and it is undoubtedly California and Nevada's best bet for getting a big brown in a river.

red_perception
09-24-2008, 04:57 AM
Nice Brownies Brother ;) Good luck, Eric :)

GOLDENTROUT
09-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Nice fish! So far Ive only caught 3 small bows, 4 small browns and 1 good size whitefish. All in new spots with lots of people, one of my spots looks like someone lived there over the summer :-? In about three weeks Ill try my honey holes. I want to bring the Capt. for some big browns but its not time yet. They are just starting to move around and not hitting like they will soon. I have had some follow that made my heart stop. And I did hook a bow that broke me off that was bigger than any brown Ive caught out of the river.
Tight lines GT.

zhands
09-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Nice work Mr. S. Wow those are gorgeous fish. YDM, you do it all Mike. That smile tells the whole story.

NICE FISH, that had to be fun. I guess spending 2 hours with Doc has itís benefits, Ju-Ju. A man who doesnít mind having his brains picked. One in a million.

Iím going to have to take you up on your offer and go stream fishing with you and pick your brains.

Z :)

Captain Compassion
09-24-2008, 07:00 AM
[smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=excited.gif]

Sweet!!!

CC

tejedarichard
09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Good job again Mr. Sockeye. I had no luck last month there but I plan to fish the Truckee on the way to Pyramid for the fest. I recall you said to try below Boca. Any recommendations on flies in October I know you said you've been fishing the Truckee for 12 years now so I thought I'd ask. Thanks MS.

hooks
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Don't let Mr. Sockeye fool you guys. He caught those browns out of the tank at Cabelas. ;D ;D

Just yankin' your chain a little Mike. Very nice browns indeed. And from the Truckee, which is no easy task!

drstressor
09-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Yep, I helped Mike by stopping him from spooking those fish by keeping him from casting into the river before they were ready to bite. ;D

zhands
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Yep, I helped Mike by stopping him from spooking those fish by keeping him from casting into the river before they were ready to bite. ;D

I knew it....... I knew it

Magic Doc Ju-Ju :)

Z

fishwish
09-24-2008, 04:14 PM
HIGH FIVE Way to go Sockeye! You can't hope for much more than that from an evening on the river. Maybe get yourself on the board at sportsman's.
It's pretty much been a dink fest for me the last couple of months. Nothing over 15. Mid aug., had a large brown on, drifting a hare's ear past overhanging alders 1:30 pm. Fought him long enough to calm my adrenaline and have confidence in the hook set. Like a typical brown he went deep and just hunkered down. Not wanting to horse him, it was a standoff. And then..... the dreaded slack. From the look of my tattered leader, he had been behind a rock.

tinytrout
09-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Nice Browns.

Darin
09-24-2008, 06:41 PM
So I hit the river right after the sun went down, and my timing couldn't have been any better. (http://imageshack.us)
Mr.Sockeye...Great report. Your qoute says it all. I love catching browns right after the sun goes down. There have been studies of these guys holding under a rock all day untill the sun goes down. If your up for some great late night brown fishing let me know. I have great access to a river close to where I live...and the big brown's come out at night... :D

drstressor
09-24-2008, 07:09 PM
It's against the forum rules to flame other people's catches as long as they are legal. The mods will clean up this thread very soon. I just want to point out that there are very few "wild" browns in the Truckee. They are planted. That river is full of browns and taking them to eat is no different from taking rainbows. The browns are just harder to catch. But Mike has figured out exactly how to do it. :)

FishinRaiders
09-25-2008, 08:23 AM
The Truckee is still an excellent fishery..If you don't mind hiking and going for walks..

Get off the main paths and you will catch fish..

If you want the hatchery trout fish the easy spots..

There are some huge fish in the Truckee!!!! 8-)

billfisher
09-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Yep, its true. Leaving these beauties alone until the sun was off the water was probably a big plus. Its a small fishing window but:

"Sundown = Big Brown"

shon42073
09-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I do apologize, you are well within your right to keep trout. I have very strong opinions when it comes to keeping trout in a river or stream and i spout my mouth off when i have no right to.