PDA

View Full Version : Spank'n Snobby Flyfisherman with Bent Metal

mrsockeye
09-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Let me start this post by saying, I don't have any problem with 90% of flyfisherman, in fact, I even own a 6 weight myself, and I use it from time to time. It's the guys who look like they just stepped out of the Orvis Catalog, with 400 dollar waiders, and 500 dollar rods that irritate me. *What irritates me the most, is when they look down their noses at conventional gear guys. *Today was just such a day. *I was a very unpopular guy at Heenan Lake today, and admittedly, it was all my fault. *
I was the first guy in the gate this morning, and I didn't even have any competition for at least an hour. *Unfortunately, all the competition today were fly guys, no gear fishing bretheren to be found. *The bite started out slow, 0 fish for about an hour, then I doubled. *I was fishing two rods in my twin Cannon Mini Troll downriggers, dragging a Needlefish, and a Hum Dinger. *I brought one fish in, quickly released it, then another, and quickly released it as well. *I tried to duplicate the action, but couldn't, and struggled for another 2 hours, picking up 2 more fish here and there. *Then I went back to the "hotspot" and the fishing picked up. *A couple of fly fisherman were in the area, and they watched me catching fish. *I was getting a fish per pass through the area. *The fly guys were having no luck, and eventually, their curiosity turned to disgust. *One guy watched me catch about 3 fish, looked at me, and shook his head in disgust, as if to say "How dare you? *This lake is a fly fishing lake." *This didn't bother me, as I continued to rub it in. *One of them started kick boating right in my trolling lane, so I trolled around him, and I continued catching fish. *The highlight of my day came when, more than one of them finally broke down and asked "What are you using?" *I was very tempted to say, "Nightcrawler." *Being that Heenan is artificial lures and barbless hooks only. *When I answered Needlefish, they had no idea what that was, so I had to explain to them, and I made it clear that they wouldn't be able to duplicate my pattern even if they wanted to. *They looked at me like I was dunking powerbait, just disgusted. *
Long story short, great day on the water, wooping some snobby fly guys with spoons. *Boated 13 fish to 21 inches, and lost a few more. *Got some great photos of beautiful fish, and scored a V for the conventional fisherman. *
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7241/1020162ym5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The first one, a big hook jawed buck.
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7409/1020166cf9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The second one in this double, a cute little hen.
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/858/1020169ih0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Big fish of the day

Captain Compassion
09-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Way to get 'em MS. Got to figure out where your "hotspot" is. ;D Seems to me that it was a little colder this morning. The fly guys do have their day but not when the fish want something near the bottom moving at 2 to 3 MPH. Good day again. How was the wind?

CC

hooks
09-21-2008, 03:51 PM
[smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Match the hatch, baby!!

Trust me, it isn't only fly fishermen that act this way. Some guys just can't handle the fact that you can catch fish near them and they can't.

They get...well...miffed. territorial, and down right indignant. Sometimes confrontational. [smiley=angling.gif]

metalmouth
09-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Funny report. Nice job on the catching!

MM

zhands
09-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Way to spank'um Mr.S

Sounds like a fun day. Catch lots of fish and smear some snobby noses. What was the water temp?

Z

Pinoleman
09-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Nice Job Brother. The one in that last pic is a "Dandy" as my grandparents in Idaho used to say whenever I would come home with a nice one.

shadbuster
09-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Great report, and good job smoking those fly guys, but hooks is right it isn't just the fly guys who get angry when you catch fish and they don't, I've gotten the dirty looks and "leave some for the rest of us" mumbled under the breath from conventional gear guys plenty of times.

metalmouth
09-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Great report, and good job smoking those fly guys, but hooks is right it isn't just the fly guys who get angry when you catch fish and they don't, I've gotten the dirty looks and "leave some for the rest of us" mumbled under the breath from conventional gear guys plenty of times.
Yup, I've dodged big boats in my toon and had better days then the metal guys. On some lakes I carry my toon on the front of my boat to hit the shallows with flies.

wolfden
09-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Way to go Sockeye ;) ;)

I love to piss off those kinds too ;D

metalmouth
09-21-2008, 06:07 PM
What kind of line are you using that has that much memory?

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7241/1020162ym5.jpg

steelhead209
09-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey now lets be nice I am flyfisherme nfor about 90% of the year Striper fisherman in the winter for the last 10% and I tell you what even one fly guy to another fly guy will do the same thing so great job showing them up and sweet report.

Denny1969
09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi Mr. Sockeye,
Good job fishing. I like to think that I'm part of that 90%. If I end up being part of that 10%, please wack me in the head with an oar.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but isn't it a bad idea to lip a salmonid if you are going to release it? I wish I had a source, but I read that salmonids' bone structures aren't has hardy as bass and other fish. I might be wrong, but I'd rather cradle the fish to ensure a safer release.

Denny

Mackattack
09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
What kind of line are you using that has that much memory?

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7241/1020162ym5.jpg
I was thinking the same thing(how old is that line or maybe he didnt use a ball bearing swivel ?) Great catch MS and we will see you at Pyramid. Whoo Hoo

Mackattack

GCinGV
09-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I always drag metal at Heenan and sometimes the metal does best and other times the fly guys do better especially when the weeds are thick.
This year happens to be ideal for dragging metal because the lake is so clear of weeds. There have been many years at Heenan there was no way you could troll as deep as we have been this year and was limited to top-lining only and even that could be tough to stay out of the weeds.
Itís been my experience at Heenan that what you use isnít nearly as important as simply being able to get to the right depth. The fly guys can actually do just as well right now and do by going to a heavy sinking line or a long leader and slip bobber (indicator) if you only have a floating line and dragging Buggers and other flies along the bottom.
GC.

mike_l
09-22-2008, 10:28 AM
great pics! I'm a fly guy and I tip my hat to you! *;)

It realy screws those guys up when you have a little ul spin outfit in your rod holder with a kastmaster or a crawler on it and a fly rod in your hand. *;D

-Mike

Captain Compassion
09-22-2008, 11:08 AM
On Friday GCinGV and I arrived at Heenan before the gate opened. Right behind us was this fly guy who lives and grew up in Mammoth. He said that he fishes Heenan nearly every week. His outfit was top notch. I suspect if you include the price of his toon and Cadillac equipment his gear was worth more than my truck. ::) Man was he good. Scary good. He was using a self tied fly that he called I believe a "Heenan Assassin". Every time we trolled by him he had a few more trout to his credit. He wasn't fishing with the other fly folks who seemed to bunch up at certain spots and were generally catching nothing but up the North shore all by himself. I would give the left portion of a certain part of my anatomy to be able to pick this guys brain for an hour or so.

CC

MattMan
09-22-2008, 11:29 AM
The highlight of my day came when, more than one of them finally broke down and asked "What are you using?" *I was very tempted to say, "Nightcrawler."

Your report made me laugh out loud. *;D Nice pics and thanks for the laugh. And hey, I'm primarily a fly guy, but that just cracked me up. *;)

tejedarichard
09-22-2008, 11:31 AM
When your hot your hot Sockeye I've been enjoying your posts. Thanks and good job.

Berryessa Kid
09-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Sockeye,
As soon as you said orvis catalog I started laughing ;D ;D It was at that point that I received a mental picture ;D Thanks for the laugh. That was good. Not knowing what a Needlefish is should be against the law :-/ I am sure fly fishing can have its moments, but for me explosive hook ups on the troll is where its at 8-) You have been wettin alot of lines this year.... Nice..... Enjoyed the Klamath report. Steve.

tyeroflies
09-22-2008, 04:38 PM
It's always nice to upset the LL Bean guys as I like to call them! Good job. I've fly fished a lot of water and have never understood the hoity-toidy attitudes.

mrsockeye
09-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah, like I say, I have no problem with most fly fisherman, and I do it myself. I have a problem with the guys who chastise bait fisherman, or hardware guys. If it is a legal means of catching fish, then don't act hoity-toity judgemental. I agree about lipping that fish, but I made sure to hold it vertically, without cocking the fish jaw, and it was a very brief picture. That is the only fish I removed from he water that day, and I was trying to get a real good picture of the fishes colors in the sun. One of them even got in my propeller, and made a good mess, because I was trying to be sportsmanly. My apologies, and I knew better, but that picture was irrestible... it didn't even turn out good, and now I feel bad about it. Oh well, won't do it again. And you guys guessed it, no swivel, swivels just collect junk in Heenan. The twist on my line was magnified by the fact that the sun had just rose, and it was really illuminating on the line. The line is absolutely topnotch, P-Line 10 lb test Fluroclear. I love P-Line, it really has been good stuff for me. I've been slowing my lure retrieve down when I'm reeling in, becuase that is the main culprit to my line twist. Plus, you just may get a hookup doing this.

dinos marine
09-22-2008, 05:18 PM
ya know how to really get them..............use a fly rod for trolling, or bait fish. the rods really have great action, and when you change the rod tip it makes a really good bait/trolling rod. it just the handle is a little hard to mount your spinnig reel [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif] [smiley=dancingorange.gif]
now that a really get em going [smiley=yikes.gif]
ya, we spoke to a couple of long rods on the east carson, my son mentioned that if they walked down river, there was a great spot where the river meets itself, and they'd be into fish. no replies or nod. :'( guess we were just low life bait fishers?
nice fish wish we could have fished the lake, but left the boat at home this weekend :'(, and decided to try the rivers.
great job on the fish!!!

talo
09-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Right on Sockeye! It's because of the snobby attitudes of fly fisherman that my fishing buddies and myself all promised eachother that we would never fly fish. I've never given a fly fisherperson a bad time because of their chosen method to CATCH. I on the other hand have been given a bad time because I prefer to use hardware. It's too bad because fly fishing obviously is a great method...matching the hatch, etc. In my opinion, there's nothing better than fishing a creek and having a trout angrily and aggressivley hammer your spinner on the retrieve when you carefully placed it right behind that log or rock. I use barbless and let over 90% of my fish go except for the occasional bleeder. Please flyfisherpeople tell me why other methods of CATCHING bothers you...so much that you often cop attitude with us "hardware" guys.

cowboyfisher21
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
I have to say i agree with Mr. Sockeye. i fly fish, troll, and spin fish and i get crap from all kinds of people for not "CHOOSING" one. i cant tell you how many times i outcatch fly fisherman with bait and then i go get my fly rod out of my truck and they look at me with disgust. it doesn matter what you use to catch fish, it matters how you TREAT the fish and the fishery. i dnt care what a fisherman uses as long as he shows respct to the fish, fishery, and fellow fisherman! thats how it should be! and ill be happy to bring my boat and my mini downriggers and team up with Mr. Sockeye any day! ;)

hooks
09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
chirp...chirp...chirp...chirp

;D
"Fools said i,you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you,
Take my arms that I might reach you.
But my words like silent raindrops fell,
And echoed
In the wells of silence"

Simon and Garfunkel

GOLDENTROUT
09-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Good job Mike! A guy I work with had bad luck with the fly guys at Pyramid, so now he calls 'em all vegetarians ;D ;D

robonthefly
09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey Mr. Sockeye,
Nice Day out there champ . I was there on Friday . What day were you there. I managed only 3. On my own wooly flasha bugger.
Needle fish are just bait fish imatations. You if you liked some knucklehead fly guy ;Mention try a zonker in the same color as your needle fish. Did you have any idea how deep you were trolling/ ?
I wasn't too sure how deep it was, a car topper or pontoon would have been just money there. I am still waiting for a picture to post from my bro- . I was really impressed even though I only got 3. They were my first LCT!! One of the girls was a fat one; :)
Robonthefly . ...

metalmouth
09-22-2008, 08:21 PM
This has run it's course. Both fly fisherman and hardware guys are matching the hatch to get the fish to bite. I do both and have done so for 44 years. Which one is better . . . both! ;)

This thread is locked.