PDA

View Full Version : Toplining Question

Chadzilla
09-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I know that quite a few of you recommend using braid when toplining, but I couldn't find any info on leaders in such cases (I spent the past 1/2 hour doing searches in old posts). Do you use mono or flouro, and how long of a leader do you recommend using? Thanks in advance for any responses.

SneakAttack
09-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Both.

It depends on the circumstance. Both have good and bad qualities, but will say that I favor mono for the stretch and Flouro for the clarity.

Mackattack
09-21-2008, 09:32 PM
When I top line I use whats on the spool and put a ball bearing snap swivel only attached to the lure and it works for me.

Mackattack

SuperDave
09-22-2008, 06:17 AM
Topline for trout, I would recommend a minimum of 30' of mono leader. At that point I could put a swivel and a 5' fluoro leader to the lure.

GCinGV
09-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Topline for trout, I would recommend a minimum of 30' of mono leader. *At that point I could put a swivel and a 5' fluoro leader to the lure.
Iím with Dave. Believe it or not Iíve actually seen hard-hitting fish break the braid rather then the leader when the leader was attached directly to it without a top-shot. It happens a lot at Clark Canyon. Since braid has no stretch it doesnít do well with sudden impacts and the top shot acts as a shock absorber.
GC

metalmouth
09-22-2008, 06:39 AM
I run 100' of Mono to a bead chain swivel to 5' of leader with a Duolock Snap. The 100' of leader means I don't need a line counter to where that first 100' is. *;)

Mickey_Thomas
09-22-2008, 06:44 AM
I also use 100' of leader(mono) tied to my braided line, when you happen to hook a big one you'll need the line stretch to soften the hit ;) After you're done toplining you can down rig and still put the leader in the clip, pretty hard to get braid to stay clipped. :)

GCinGV
09-22-2008, 07:02 AM
I also use 100' of leader(mono) tied to my braided line, when you happen to hook a big one you'll need the line stretch to soften the hit ;) After you're done toplining you can down rig and still put the leader in the clip, pretty hard to get braid to stay clipped. :)
After fishing with Don I think this method really does work perfect when down rigging. Minimal bow on the line going down to the ball and 0 impact on the braid.
GC

Chadzilla
09-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the great input! I definitely like the idea of 100' so I don't have to take extra setups with me for using the DR's, especially on my little boat.