PDA

View Full Version : Shasta  Help

hungryhooker
09-20-2008, 08:02 AM
My buddies and I are headed to Shasta for a houseboating trip next weekend. I've never been there before, but I hear the trout/salmon fishing is good this time of year. What tackle works there? Can anyone recommend any particular locations and techniques? We will be bringing a boat with downriggers.

Thanks.

ratss427
09-20-2008, 05:41 PM
are you guys going to be trolling?lots depends on water temp and level?water is going to be down.so a lot depends on where the fish are residing.with the warm /mild weather i would say the fish are going to be relatively deep.try in the 20-40' range first.then go deeper if necessary.i would check out the mc loud arm.and toupee island ereas.shad immitations always work well.and i like to fish live minnows in the evening after you tie off in a nice cove. :)good luck

mrsockeye
09-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I would imagine they are still very suspended in the water column. The bite is best for me at first light on Shasta, and they will be at their shallowest then. I'd start out with one rod at about 35 feet, and the other at 40 or so. I'd try in the Dry Creek arm, or under the I-5 Bridge. The I-5 Bridge will be your best bet at quickly locating trout and salmon. As far as lures go, a 3.5" Shasta Tackle Sling Blade Dodger in a chrome finish, followed by a blue tape, silver body Cripplure is hard to beat, but Hum Dingers work awefully well too. I use those two lures almost exclusively at Shasta, and always catch some nice fish. Please post your results, I want to know if my advice helps you.

crank_bait
09-21-2008, 06:53 AM
for whats its worth..........take a bunch of minnows. on our last trip, when we were done fishing from our boat, and it was beer time, (and the generator is not running), we would use minnows off the back of the house boat and have lots of silly fun. (good for the guys that didn't do well that day) ;D
location didn't really matter once the houseboat was tied up. either way, you all catch fish.

hungryhooker
09-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll try some of these techniques and post my results next week.

1SAST
09-21-2008, 02:44 PM
I have been hitting the trout and kings at Shasta this year trolling Apex's. Mostly in pink and flourescen orange. The kings have been in 75 to 100 feet while the trout have been from 40 to 100 feet. One of my better areas has been the mouth of dry creek. I am gonna try to hit Shasta this coming Tuesday, If I do I will post a report.

Eric