PDA

View Full Version : Any luck night submersible light fishing at NM?

FishWisher
09-14-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking of some New Melones night fishing for trout with a light. Has anyone got any recent info on how night fishermen have done?

Thanks for any info...

Dale

tinytrout
09-14-2008, 03:59 PM
I am down here in Sacramento and what we do is put 3-4 minnows in a qt mayo jar with a string through the lid and drop it down with the light (you wont belive all the fish that come up and hit that jar thinking it is a easy meal). Then just drop a minnow down by the light an wait for the fun to start.

FishWisher
09-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Hey, I have to try that mayo jar trick!

I just wonder if the trout are doing much on NM as the koke fishing is about shot, I hear...

Dale

tortuga
09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
I haven't been all summer but I have always caught trout on crawler powerbait combos. The trout are just not really very big this year. With the low water and almost no shad they just aren't fattening up like usual. The last few I've caught have looked like eels so I have not tried lately.
Tortuga

FishWisher
09-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Hey, thanks Tortuga, just what I needed to know to avoid wasting a trip up there. Can't find a decent report on NM lately. I hope things get better next year. I guess we all better pray for rain this winter!

Dale

tortuga
09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
The reason there aren't many reports is because there aren't many fishing the lake. *Gloryhole sports.com always has a pretty up to date report and its usually pretty much true. *They actually report what people come in and report to them. Now they don't usually hear from the guys that get skunked so those reports never show up. *I don't look for any great trout season this year. *The competition for food and low water is definitely taking its toll. *I'm not any kind of biologist but I don't see the trout population really growing again until the shad show back up. *Now as far as kokes, this spring ought to be the start of something big. *The lake has a lot of 1 and 2 year kokes! *Ought to be a good summer.
Tight lines
Tortuga

metalmouth
09-17-2008, 03:13 PM
The report would read, "The management of this lake biomass have chosen Kokanee over Trout. To that end, enough Kokanee have been planted to consume the food required to maintain food fish for the Trout."

I'm not making a judgement one way or the other. The facts are that a lake only contains so much food base. If the Kokanee and the Shad compete for that food and you constantly add more Kokanee, the Shad may lose.

tortuga
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
You said it better than I could....the competetion is changing it all. I have to admit I love kokanee but I sure miss all of those 3-5 lb trout we were catching up until a couple of years ago.
Tortuga

metalmouth
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I pray each year that our big trout lakes which are a lot like Eagle aren't planted with Kokanee. I love to Kokanee fish but I surely don't want to see them in every lake.

Slim
09-17-2008, 03:49 PM
The report would read, "The management of this lake biomass have chosen Kokanee over Trout. To that end, enough Kokanee have been planted to consume the food required to maintain food fish for the Trout."

I'm not making a judgement one way or the other. The facts are that a lake only contains so much food base. If the Kokanee and the Shad compete for that food and you constantly add more Kokanee, the Shad may lose.

Well. I know very little as this next statment will show, but aren't Kokes a Plankton eater???? Trout eat insects and other small fish...??? Different food for trout and Kokes ...???

Slim

metalmouth
09-17-2008, 04:01 PM
The small fish, crustaceans, even insects to some extent depend on the plankton the Kokanee consume. No food for the previous mentioned trout prey, no trout.

SneakAttack
09-17-2008, 08:21 PM
The small fish, crustaceans, even insects to some extent depend on the plankton the Kokanee consume. No food for the previous mentioned trout prey, no trout.

I think this thread hearkens back to a discussion about a year ago. My recollection was that Doc had some good input regarding this subject. I couldn't find the thread though...

MM- Maybe you can find the thread? I think Doc may have said something along the lines of; the plankton that Melones can support is more than enough for all species.

My theory on it is this: The aliens have given up on bovine encounters and have begun harvesting trout as they may very well be the most intelligent species on earth [smiley=alien.gif]

SA - Still wearing my AFDB ;D

Grumen
09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
I sure ain't no marine biologist either, but I know something is seriously wrong in that lake. I caught this rainbow about a month ago by the spillway trolling a needlefish about 20 feet down. You would never guess it by looking at the picture, but it measured just under 20". It hit the needlefish, popped the downrigger, at absolutely no fight after that, it came to the top and "water-skied" to the boat. A rainbow that long should be around 3 lbs, that one probably would not have made one pound.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr115/stb2020/HPIM1704.jpg

ReelJerks
09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Is that fish wearing a 'soft-sided' AFDB ? I can easily see the importance of the hard shell model now.

Wierd looking fishy.

Edd

Athlete24
09-18-2008, 06:08 PM
That is just a sad looking fish. It just proves that for some reason the trout have lost thier food supply almost if not completely. The DFG really needs to look into this and we all need to pray for rain and especially snow in the mountains above the lake.

SneakAttack
09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Is that fish wearing a 'soft-sided' AFDB ? I can easily see the importance of the hard shell model now.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Here we are, sitting in our homes probably just eating dinner, and here are these poor fish starving to death. We need to have a benefit to feed the fish.

FISH-AID!

I agree that DFG really needs to stop messing around and do some research. There's something wrong and it needs to be fixed.

tortuga
09-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Shad eat plankton, trout eat shad....there just isn't much plankton and the larger more aggresive kokes also eat plankton...they can't all win and right now the kokes are winning.....if we all make comment to Fish and Game on their website we could, maybe, convince them to study the situation and make a real plan.....nevermind, Ijust read what I wrote and realixe I am just dreaming!
When you have lemons make lemonade...When your favorite trout lake becomes your favorite koke lake...Smoke 'em!!!!!
Tortuga

SneakAttack
09-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, I just found 2 active threads here addressing the same point; Diminishing trout population at New Melones.

Can someone at the Sniffer get a hold of the Dept. of Environmental Science and Policy at UC Davis to see if they can help with this thread?
http://www.des.ucdavis.edu/ContactInfo.html

Seems like Alan Jassby's been doing some research on phytoplankton and zooplankton in the area, from research found on the web.

I think if someone from the Sniffer were to email them, it'd lend a little more credibility to the question at hand.

Thanks,
SA

fishguts
09-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Ok so answer this. They put trout pens in the lake to grow a bit and aclimate, where did the fish go? Where did the browns go? Did they all die? They should be pretty good size especially by now. We usually get a few trout in the early spring along with the kokes, but no trout this year. Only a couple dinks last year. The last big trout to land my decks was 3 years ago and it was 4 pounds in November.

tortuga
09-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Fishguts
Ditto everything you said. *The winters of 05 and 06 we caught dozens....dozens of 3lb + trout. *I've seen and helped with the pens and I know there just aren't any trout out there right now. *Talking to a couple of old timers I guess this has happened before soon after really big water years. *They seem to think there is something that washes into the system after really heavy rainy seasons...like the one we had here 3 years ago. *I don't know enough biology and ecosystem science to really know.
Tortuga