PDA

View Full Version : Re: ~How to fillet trout~

SHigSpeed
09-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Looks good!

You leave the skin on eh?

Also, any techniques for removing the bones that stick into the meat along the middle of the fillet? I tried to do a beer batter deep fry on some trout the other day and tried to pull those with pliers, but too much of a PITA for me.

_SHig

dfective1
09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah I leave the skin on...... easier on the bbq or the smoker..The pin bones I use a pair of hemostats after it's cooked. :D *Once the fish is cooked the skin comes right off... and on a fish this size the I leave them in they seem to dissolve...

cjskier
09-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Good post, good methods. Except, I never get the cut fish wet(aka wash off the guts, blood, scales) until they are ready to be cooked. I also dont gut the fish, just make the beginning stomach cut for a fuller fillet.

I also dont remove pin bones, just cook em.

and I leave the skin on if I plan to BBQ them, other wise they are easier to skin when fresh!

metalmouth
09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Great pictorial! Either you have 3 hands or the aid of a great photographer. *:)

djh
09-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks good!

Also, any techniques for removing the bones that stick into the meat
Removing the Pin Bones from a fish that small is tough, but here's how: after the filet is removed, place it skin side down and run your hand from head to tail end, feeling for the row of pin bones. After you locate them and using a VERY sharp knife, carefully cut down each side of the line of pin bones. With experience, you will learn that cutting at a slight angle from vertical best follows the orientation of the pin bones. No explanation can substitute for experience here. If done correctly, after a couple of progressively deeper cuts, you can lift out a triangular-shaped piece of filet containing all the pin bones. The mark of a "pro" is not cutting all the way down to the skin. Sharpen the filet knife and give it a try.

shadbuster
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Looks good! Also, any techniques for removing the bones that stick into the meat

You don't need to remove the pin bones on a fish as small as that trout especially if your deep frying them, they are so small that they seem to dissolve with the heat.

Mackattack
09-14-2008, 07:49 PM
That was a pretty cool post. I belly slice them below the fins up to the jaw and back to the poop shoot then grab and rip those two fins and pull back and what is left is what you need your finger nail for to clean out the black stuff.
I cook them whole with head attached then when done grab the head and insert fork on each side along the back bone and peal the fillets off with little or no bone tag alongs.

*Mackattack

fat_fish
09-14-2008, 11:22 PM
i do the same thing mackattack-you get the most (all) meat that way. *

ff

Another_Mike
09-15-2008, 08:11 AM
One can also simplify-shorten the above method by starting with the head cut, finding the spine....then following the spine all the way back until the knife exits out by the tail. Flip the fish over and repeat.

This eliminates the gutting step, and you will end up having 2 fillets, and one head-spine-guts combo all intact.

I use that on trout about 1.5 pounds or larger.

metalmouth
09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
One can also simplify-shorten the above method by starting with the head cut, finding the spine....then following the spine all the way back until the knife exits out by the tail. Flip the fish over and repeat.

This eliminates the gutting step, and you will end up having 2 fillets, and one head-spine-guts combo all intact.

I use that on trout about 1.5 pounds or larger.
Great method as well. I use this method so the meat does not touch water before preparing!

MM

Another_Mike
09-15-2008, 12:22 PM
What happens if the meat touches water?

I wash the hec out of everything.

shon42073
09-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Is that a trout or a koke ? Anyhow, nice red meat. I rarely fillet trout, Hell I rarely keep em. But the trusty old hemostats pull out the remianing bones nicely.

dfective1
09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Funny you noticed out of about 12 other people posting up here ...but yes it is a kokanee ...I used it as an example..nice meat indeed...... It was tasty.

MGS
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I knew that too ;). I usually keep the skin on for the nutritional value, high in omega-3. Also if you keep the head on dont forget the cheek meat. Smal but very tasty! I fillet mine the same way, works for me. great post. MATTY

deep_troller
09-20-2008, 06:14 AM
by cutting down thru the spine just behind the head and then cutting from the anus up to below the gills then hold the fish and the head and bend the head down and to the rear and all the intestines are removed. only cut down thru the spine, then when you pull the head down and reward it just tears that little piece of skin that was left. 10 seconds fish is beheaded and gutted. thumb nail for the black stuff(blood) and it is cleaned. proceed to filet or cook