PDA

View Full Version : wax worms for trout?

dinos marine
09-17-2008, 07:40 PM
a friend of mine uses wax worms, any thoughts? for rivers or lakes? :-/
[smiley=seestars.gif]

steveo79
09-17-2008, 07:47 PM
I use to use meal worms for trout, in Angels Creek, years ago. I just threaded them on a salmon egg hook. I don't know why they wouldn't work.

Ikan_Mas
09-18-2008, 11:27 AM
In the spring there is a worm on the oak trees that spins a thread and falls out of the tree. The fish in the Moke and presumabley other foothill rivers love these worms that blow or fall in. Wax or mealy worm look alot like these oak worms and that is why they work (the old match the hatch thing). They may work now, but this is more of a May-June type of thing. Also, the lure called a Trout Magnet also looks alot like a worm in size and shape. Might make a good substitute. :D

BIG_ONE
09-18-2008, 02:56 PM
a friend of mine uses wax worms, any thoughts? for rivers or lakes? *:-/
[smiley=seestars.gif]

they'll work...if plastic white 2-3" grub works, you bet wax worms would do the job ;)

dinos marine
09-18-2008, 03:06 PM
hey thanks for the tips, now i gotta find them before i leave for hope valley this wekend. i live in walnut creek, so if anyone has some places to buy wax worms.......

NorCal2500HD
09-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Try your local pet store. Alot of these places carry them. I breed geckos so I always have some on hand. Also might want to give these guys a call too:
Hoffmann's Reptile Shop
2359 Concord Blvd
Concord, CA 94520
(925) 671-9106

Not sure how much space/time you have but these things are super easy to culture.....[ch8206]a 2 quart jug will easily net you over 300 waxies....

fishpeddler1
09-18-2008, 07:23 PM
the last time I was up at caples lake an old timer was leaving with a stringer full that he caught on wax worms under a bobber...
I have yet to try them myself, but the trout magnets mentioned above(in white or yellow) seem to do well on Amador. let us know how you do.

dinos marine
09-19-2008, 04:54 AM
i guess i cant give the wax worms a try at caples, but i will give it a try every where we can on the 88 corridor. thanks for all the help, i will post some jpg when we get back. planning on leaving late tonite or early sat. :) :D ;D