PDA

View Full Version : When the rains come, then what?

fishguts
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I was wondering how lakes that are open in the winter and have boat inspections are going to handle that. I think it would be impossible to bring a completely dry boat to the lake as the weather cools, you get moisture on your boat and then what if it rains? I fish in the rain and I fish when its damp. This just plain sucks.
I wonder if they thought that out that far in advance other then beyond the bucks we have to pay them.

steveo79
09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
I think we'll need to wrap the boats in Saran Wrap.....The key would be to get your boat tagged, and then it won't matter how wet it gets. I've fished Pardee twice in the last week. My boat had not been on the water since mid July; I had considered running it with the muffs on just to be sure. I knew of Pardee's reg's, and did not attempt to start it.
Now that I have my boat tagged, I could take it there, sopping wet, and still get in to fish. think about it.....

It's their lake, follow the rules, or just go fish some place else. No big deal, right?

fishguts
09-16-2008, 06:18 AM
True, get your boat tagged but there are a lot of people that like to fish a variety of lakes within the same area but some do not require tags or inspections.

ReelJerks
09-16-2008, 08:12 AM
This is exactly what makes this so ludicrous. Say I get my boat 'tagged' (not by some street punk) and later in the year decide to visit a lake under Quaga scrutiny. Does that lake REMOVE my tag? If they don't remove my tag, this whole effort is worthless...no?

Most of us want what is right and proper, but there are those who turn careless after a single inspection if they receive a seal of approval.

I would like to see some sort of manned 'marine life killing' wash-down station at each of the infested lakes. Then it wouldn't matter if your boat was wet when you traveled to another lake.

Edd

fishguts
09-16-2008, 11:26 AM
After a boat is inspected and then you have them tag it when you leave, it has a tag, sort of a zip tie like product from what I understand, that is attatched to the bow eye of the boat and then to the trailer, if the tag is broken then you have obviously commited a sin and are stuck with ever lasting damnation from that lake. Can I hear a Amen !!!!!!
The other problem I see is people like me who sometimes doesn't put in until long after the inspectors have gone home. Therefore no return tag.

crank_bait
09-16-2008, 11:36 AM
a lot of people don't realize that their "cf" number is being recorded when they enter. they have a "history" of your boating activity now.

ReelJerks
09-16-2008, 12:38 PM
..... it has a tag, sort of a zip tie like product *from what I understand, that is attatched to the bow eye of the boat and then to the trailer,

OK...thanks for setting me straight. That makes better sense.

Edd

rc mckokanee
09-16-2008, 04:00 PM
how many lakes are doing this?

SneakAttack
09-16-2008, 05:02 PM
a lot of people don't realize that their "cf" number is being recorded when they enter. they have a "history" of your boating activity now.

They should have been doing this long before the zebra muscle situation got out of hand. Again, we are left to suffer the consequences due to an overly bureaucratic system that should have been proactive in this problem. I really don't care if they know where I'm going with my boat. I've nothing to hide. There's lots of good metrics that can be had from this data too. I don't think there's much, if any, data being collected that honest, law abiding folks need to worry about [smiley=evil.gif]

But, I do like me some privvacy too... Does the govt really need to know where I launch my boat? No. But can that data provide a more accurate representation of which lakes to stock and when? Yes. Can that data also provide additional data on residents traveling habits? Yes. But the most useful data I see being gathered by this knee-jerk *police* action is this; Where to spend the $9 Billion for the CA Water Supply Expansion Project.

All typed while wearing my AFDB.
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/ [smiley=alien.gif]

metalmouth
09-16-2008, 05:13 PM
All typed while wearing my AFDB.
[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

HiTechTrout
09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I had this exact conversation with the Del Valle inspectors recently during my inspection and it is something they are looking for a solution but all they could offer is they may have to limit the boat to banded boats (those that were there for their last trip). I said that's not very realistic for people that fish multiple lakes and then may travel an hour or more to a lake and then get caught in a rain storm etc. Realistically it's the EBMUD lakes that may impose this right now but who knows how far it will go.

Pyramid_Kid
09-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Im unsure of the regs that you guys are referring to about having a dry boat. I frequently go to Tahoe during the summer months. Both to the Nevada and California side. The info that Ive been given from California inspectors and Nevada inspectors is reguardless of what body of water you have visited Quaga or zebra muscle infested you should drain, rinse, and dry. This would be your bilge, and hull of your boat. Im sure most folks know that the muscles can and will live on the out side of your hull for a few days. Your bilge area will hold moisture for a very long time if it isnt drained and allowed to dry. Then your just asking for other things besides muscles, like mold and other nasties. Also I heard it is a very good idea to flush your engine well after visiting any body of water that may be contaminated. As your engine could carry something from one body of water to another, and you'd never know.

SneakAttack
09-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Im unsure of the regs that you guys are referring to about having a dry boat.*
Here you go.....
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/invasives/quaggamussel/

It's, like a real bummer man...... Really puts a harsh on my mellow. ::)

HiTechTrout
09-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Pyramid Kid - The stricter rules are coming from the Bay area EBMUD Lakes, Camanche, Pardee, Del Valle and San Pablo.

http://www.ebmud.com/services/recreation/quaggazebra_mussel.htm

ReelJerks
09-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Here's where part of this problem lays. My Boss took his Sanger to Lake Mead for a week. California stickers and all California plates on truck and trailer. He was never checked when leaving the lake. However, when he hit the border check station, they handed him a Quagga info leaflet and did a cursory walk-around of his boat. They NEVER checked the bilge or the motor. After being in the lake for a week this boat was a definite carrier. I'm glad he is very conscientious and performed a thorough cleaning when he got home, then didn't use the boat for 3 weeks after. But what about other people?

It would seem logical that some Chemist would have developed some sort of WASH/FLUSH that would handle this and could be applied at each lake prior to launch and after retrieval. Something better than high pressure HOT water. Something with some KILLING power.

Edd