PDA

View Full Version : brookies

-king_fisher-
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
any good rivers or creeks around for brookies? because the only place i know of is caples creek and i am scared to go there. last time i went there i ended up swimming through what i thought was the ground. thanks!

cgagex3
09-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Red Lake or Woods Lake will both be coming on strong soon. I will be hitting at least on of them tomrrow morning.

CG

brookies
09-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Highland lakes up Hwy 4. Just before Ebbitts pass take Highland lakes road. It's about six miles in on a dirt road. The campground is very nice and shouldn't be crowded this time of year. The elevation is above 8000' so be prepared for cold nights. There is nothing in the lake but Brook trout in the ten to twelve inch range, but I have gotten bigger fish. Bring a float tube or some way to get out on the water as that is the best way to fish this lake. I have fished and camped there four times this year and have never been disappointed. I am going to try and get up there one more time before the snow flies. Red lake should be picking up pretty soon as the weather cools some more. They moved all the Brooks from Caples there during the fish rescue from Caples.I fished Woods lake two weeks ago a did well for Brooks.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *brookies

GCinGV
09-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Ironically most of the good Brook Trout fishing is in the Lakes. Pretty hard to beat Red in the fall.
As far as rivers the Mokelumne below the highway 4 bridge (Hermit valley) has Brookies but you have to go some distance down stream, at least below Deer Creek to get into anything decent. Cole Creek above Bear River Res has some nice ones but with the low flows it will only have a few potholes left by now.
GC

-king_fisher-
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
what do lake brookies usually bite on? i usually catch brook brookies on little spoons...

Captain Compassion
09-13-2008, 09:45 PM
what do lake brookies usually bite on? i usually catch brook brookies on little spoons...

In lakes 1/4 oz gpld Kastmasters or Panther Martins.

CC

-king_fisher-
09-13-2008, 10:13 PM
alrighty, do they bite well in the evening like stream trout do? im not used to fishing lakes, sorry for all the questions!

joshc40
09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
I second woods lake. They bite all day long on powerbait and worms. If you have a pontoon or floattube that would really help. Just drift some worms and you should do great. Last time we were there the fish were pretty far out for some reason. They recommend you keep fish over ten inches I think. Just, play with different lengths for casting and you should get them pretty easily. Good luck

fat_fish
09-14-2008, 11:32 PM
woods is definately a great spot, and you're definately gonna hook into some fish there...if in the morn. before the sun hits the water, floating crawlers on Red has produced well for me, but in the eve. or day time go to woods. the brookies r larger in red as well. they also like gold kastmasters and pm's.

ff

GCinGV
09-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Brookies seem to particularly like spinners that are colored like a Bee, Black and yellow feathered Mepps Black Fury’s are my favorite spinner for Brookies with PMs a close second. The Kast Master is always a good lure for Trout in Lakes if for no other reason you can cast them so dang far and cover a lot more water.
For bait, before Power bait got popular use to do really well with cheddar cheese in the lakes for Brookies.
GC

shon42073
09-15-2008, 04:58 PM
when i wanna catch some brookies I head up to the clark fork of the stanislaus near sonora pass. It's loaded. Never have tried anything other then flies.

89_invader
09-15-2008, 05:20 PM
what about these lakes you talk about in here and fly fishing from tube? I finally get some man time this weekend all to my self and plan on heading up to the sierra lakes somewhere and doing some camping and fishing. I love to fly fish and will bringing it with me as well as my othere gear. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go for some good fly fishing? Nevee fished for brookies with a fly. just pm and kast masters.

fat_fish
09-15-2008, 08:57 PM
what about these lakes you talk about in here and fly fishing from tube? *I finally get some man time this weekend all to my self and plan on heading up to the sierra lakes somewhere and doing some camping and fishing. *I love to fly fish and will bringing it with me as well as my othere gear. *Anyone have any suggestions on where to go for some good fly fishing? *Nevee fished for brookies with a fly. just pm and kast masters.

woods lake would be your ticket...especially in a float tube.

ff

89_invader
09-16-2008, 05:40 AM
soudns good. I reall like it up there in the sierras. I will read the fishing report in the sacramento bee this week and see what is going on. But thanks for all the advice. Will let you know where I end up and if anyone wants to join me.

HBFishin
09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
I have read and found through experience that Brooks are the most aggressive of trout. So, they bite many different lures. I have had great luck on 1/8 oz gold kastmaster and grubs particularly, though spinners and other lures have worked too.
There are many lakes that hold brooks. My best day with brooks was at Bucks Lake at the far side inlet. Between my friend and I we got over 50 in one day! By far my best day of fishing ever.
For streams and rivers, I do not know. Doc can correct me, but I believe that unlike some other species of trout, brooks do not require (and maybe prefer) non-flowing water to reproduce. And thusly they are more prevalent in lakes. Details might be fuzzy here.
Good luck!! They are very beautiful fish.