PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Questions

tortuga
09-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Since Quik Fish and White Fish look just the same, why doesn't anyone use threir Quik Fish at Pyramid? Same question about Apexes and Sting Fish....What makes one better than the other? I stocking up for the Pyramid Fest and started noticing the similarities between the lures I use for Salmon on the Sac and what was being suggested for Pyramid. (Quik fish and Apexes) What about spinners like the Silvertrons and big Mepp's or spoons like Blue Fox and Crocodile? Seems like trout should go for any of those.
Just curious about current ideas. The FAQS are sort of dated on these thoughts.
See you on the water,
Tortuga

SuperDave
09-14-2008, 07:00 AM
As Doc continually tells us, "Everything works at Pyramid."

chicofishrmen
09-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Plenty of people use qwikfish/flatfish, apex vs. sting king IMHO are pretty much the same except for color patterns. I've used spoons with good results, I like the biggest spoons I can find like these
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_77767____SearchResults

Not many people use spinners that I know of, the don't have the "wobble" the cutts like. While Doc's article may be a couple of years old, the principals still apply! The green/white coyote spoon is still very effective!

ric1ric
09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I know several people last year tried spinners with not much success.

metalmouth
09-14-2008, 12:12 PM
The problem with Spinners and Cutts is a Cutt will follow it for miles. Without an irregular pattern they won't hit. Spinners will work behind a Dodger or Flashers but then the Cutts start hitting the Dodger instead of the Spinner. * ;D

tortuga
09-14-2008, 01:19 PM
When chikfishn mentioned cuts it was like "oh yeah". Back in the days when I was stream fishing New Mexico/Colorodo border for cuts we went to z-rays instead of our trusty Mepps and Panther Martins to get better action for the cuts. Only makes sense that the same would be true about the big ones in the lakes. That explains the flat fish and apexes!
Thanks
Tortuga

CHICKFISHING58
09-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Tortuga,

I have just about every lure you can think of and have tried them all most of the time they work for me but all of my big fish have been caught on the purple and black stingking with the eye or without the eye.

I have 20 lymans but I always get them tangled up with the person that I'm with :'(

MankinD
09-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Since Quik Fish and White Fish look just the same, why doesn't anyone use threir Quik Fish at Pyramid? *Same question about Apexes and Sting Fish....What makes one better than the other?
Speed is the difference. If you look closely at the similar lures, they each vary just a bit in shape to perform best at slightly different speeds.

A Sting King is almost a continuous arch while the Apex has a definate "apex" bend toward the front of the lure. They perform at different speeds so having both is a good idea if you are trolling them with your partner using spoons or J-plugs or Flatfish.

The J-plug types, Lyman, Tomic, Lure Jensen, and Silver Hordes are all slightly different in form and troll at different speeds. Lyman and Tomic also offer different models to address different speeds with Lyman offereing a cupped belly version to troll at slower speeds. Tomic offeres several models with the fatter ones generally working at the slower speeds.

Spoons are a little more adaptable working at various speeds, but, with less overall variance in action they sometimes need a little extra technique applied to interest the cutts to strike. Try more turns or speed changes (even pulling the rod forward then dropping back if toplining). There is a bewildering variety in spoon shapes with the wider varieties seeming to be the prefered Pyramid styles (a bit more active).

Flatfish and Kwikfish as well as Pro-Trolls are also slightly different in form to work a little different from each other. Remember, two of these are from the same manufacturer. I don't recall which works at faster or slower speeds, so make sure you always check perfomance at the side of the boat at trolling speed before sending it back to the battle.

The bottom line is YOU NEED MORE LURES!!!! I know that makes Don and Shawn real happy [smiley=excited.gif]

Happy hunting,
Doug

chicofishrmen
09-14-2008, 03:24 PM
[quote]I know that makes Don and Shawn real happy [smiley=excited.gif]
Happy hunting,
Doug
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2008/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif Yup, we're alway looking for fresh blood at the TA meetings! He will only really reach full tackle ho status untill after the fest and realizes what a great lake Pyramid and thinks " if only I had this lure, in that color"! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2008/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2008/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

MankinD
09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Yup, we're alway looking for fresh blood at the TA meetings! He will only really reach full tackle ho status untill after the fest and realizes what a great lake Pyramid and thinks " if only I had this lure, in that color"!
Shawn,
I think Clamkin has re-set the bar on tackle-ho-dom. My twenty-plus years of collecting have been eclipsed in just about eleven months [smiley=yikes.gif]

tortuga
09-14-2008, 07:58 PM
That is the only reel problem with fishing....by the time you work long enough to buy the stuff you want you need more stuff. Pretty soon your spending all your time working to pay for all that neat stuff you never have time to play with!! Now I hear about purple and black stingkings??? Back to the store for more more more!!!
Thanks
Tortuga