PDA

View Full Version : WFO Donner Lake trout

senko
09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Just got back from Donner Lake after being there since last Wed. As I arrived the fishing was insane. Panther martins and salmon egg power bait was the ticket. Fished off pier out back of the house we rented. Evey cast by the time it hit the bottom we were hooked up. Had to fish it on tight line so the fish would not swallow the hooks. Changing to larger hooks helped too, so we C&R while we were fishing. By Sun the bite slowed down. It actually took 5 or so min to get bit.LOL!!!! Thanks for all the reports and the help u guys gave me. The tips gave me a great starting point, and they all worked!!!!

BTW.... big fish was not even a pound. They were all planter sized fish. I called them Huddleston trouts. Boy... if there were bass in there, that would be a great swimbait lake!

fat_fish
09-10-2008, 11:14 PM
way to get em...fun when it's non-stop.

ff

Prowler
09-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Were you fishing with a salmon eggs and power-egg combo? I know up at Pine cove Marina they call this deadly combination the "Lewiston Cocktail". Use Red Dogs myself, but have seen many fish caught on this combo. ;)

senko
09-11-2008, 08:33 AM
No. The Power bait was salmon egg scented. It was yellow and looked like regular PB. We did use up a jar of orange power eggs, but they didn't really eat that till the last 2 days. The first couple of days they wouldn't hit it. The only thing I did not get bit on was the power trout worms. How do u fish those, under a bobber?

trout_searcher
09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Fished off pier out back of the house we rented.

Hi 2Ooutragous,
I am looking for a place to rent up there for November. Sound like you go a good place with pier on the back. Would you be willing to share the rental info ? Please PM me if you can.

thanks
T-S

senko
09-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey T-S! Google "Vrbo Donner Lake Secret Trout Lodge" and it should come up. It was my first time up there and the house was very cozy, and had a fully equippted kitchen. We felt like at home with my 5 week old baby boy. On the weekend my inlaws came up with the kids and it easily accomadated 10. If u can"t find it let me know and I will have my wife get the guy's number again.

trout_searcher
09-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Found it. Thanks alot Ooutragous.

T_S