PDA

View Full Version : donner lake or Ice house in November ?

trout_searcher
09-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I want to plan a trip for our family this November and can't decide between ice-house and Donner lake. How is trout fishing in November at Donner lake and Ice house ? ?

We are fishing from the bank only. Any info would be appreciated

trout_searcher :) ;)

fat_fish
09-07-2008, 11:23 AM
i thought donner was really nice for the family experience. there's the state park, museum, and the west end beach, along with many piers to fish off of a few fishing areas... one by the boat launch and one by the west end beach. there is also a playground for kids, nice bathrooms, volleyball courts, picinic benches and bbq's. i enjoyed stayin @ tahoe/donner, as there r 4 lakes w/in 15 miles.

ff

trout_searcher
09-08-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the info FF. Any idea what the fishing is like in November at Donner ?

T_S

notenufffishn
09-08-2008, 07:12 AM
If you are after a total package with shopping and other attractions go to Donner. If you are after good fishing go to Ice house along the dam and the arm at the back of the lake where the water comes in. I have only fished Donner a few times but did not do very good.

hellbent
09-08-2008, 08:31 AM
I want to plan a trip for our family this November

Either way- you may run into some really cold days..is the family able to "weather" the winter fishing temps?

johnbfishin
09-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Snow is defiantly a possibility by then and should be planned for.
In fact, most of us are hoping storms are rolling in about then.

As for the bank fishing, considering the cooler temps it should be pretty good at most lakes.

fat_fish
09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
i have always done better @ ice house. donner is tough unless they plant.

ff

cjskier
09-08-2008, 10:27 AM

God you must not be a skier! I'm hoping its here long before then! Next week would be fine actually. *:D

Makes the fishing better too. Less people foolish enough to brave the cold. *;D

tinytrout
09-08-2008, 04:59 PM
We used to go to Ice House in November and drive to the back of the lake. If there is snow the road can get muddy in the afternoon and 4x4 can come in handy in that case. But fishing can be great in the back where the river comes in. Alot of the coves you can see the fish everywhere.

trout_searcher
09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks everyone for all the good info.

T_S

johnbfishin
09-12-2008, 05:24 AM

God you must not be a skier! I'm hoping its here long before then! Next week would be fine actually. *:D

I used to be a fanatic, high speed & big air was an Adrenalin rush.
I don't ski anymore since blowing out a knee but the older I get the better I was. ;) ;D